CCTV access after theft in Condo parking

aquario33

short time after buying a bicycle for my Gf , we noticed that somebody stole the front light at the parking which is surrounded with cctv and guards 24 h.

one week after talking to the management, reporting the incident we didnt get any follow up as expected.

my simply question is, can we insist to watch the cctv footage by law or smt like that ? i mean, arent the condo management not requested to do their best to avoid , prevent and clarify such happenings exactly by using the

cctv ??? we are nearby to involve the Police, Tourist Police etc....if possible to avoid more troubles we would like to ressolve it somehow else, but if no cooperation is done what other choice we have??

Greetz

Why would you want to alienate condo management over a bike light?

You think the police would be interested in solving a major crime a bike light.

OP i think you have been watching too many American police dramas.

Why create your own drama?

What makes you think the CCTV cameras are recording anything? Maybe they're just there so the security guards can watch the scene from the comfort of their desk.

I do know that if you want to see CCTV recording of someone using your ATM card, you have to first file a police report that your card has been stolen and bring that to the bank before they'll let you see the CCTV footage.

You may be laughed out of the police station if you go to report the theft of a bicycle light, however.

So is this a petty crime!!!!

To me I'm not bothered about it doesn't affect me!!!!!! or does it or will it.

OP had someone take something from him a crime no matter how much you put it down as "it's only a light" if by creating a fuss to management over this it stops a whole bike going missing isn't that a good thing. Especially if it was one of your bikes that was stolen then, you found out that other people had had items taken from same area but had not bothered reporting it. I belive your reaction might be slightly more than "its only a light". If a thief belives he has got away with it he/she will continue. So I belive the OP is right to bring this to the management's attention. And if I was OP I would also want management to put up warning notices. This would deter a thief as he/she knows someone might be watching now.

A similarthing happened at my condo once a few well placed signs by management nipped it in the bud.

Edited by Deepinthailand

short time after buying a bicycle for my Gf , we noticed that somebody stole the front light at the parking which is surrounded with cctv and guards 24 h.

one week after talking to the management, reporting the incident we didnt get any follow up as expected.

my simply question is, can we insist to watch the cctv footage by law or smt like that ? i mean, arent the condo management not requested to do their best to avoid , prevent and clarify such happenings exactly by using the

cctv ??? we are nearby to involve the Police, Tourist Police etc....if possible to avoid more troubles we would like to ressolve it somehow else, but if no cooperation is done what other choice we have??

Greetz

I hear you man...

A few years ago, I notice a beach towel was missing after the maids cleaned the room...

Too bad I didn't think it was as important as a bicycle light to look at obtaining some CCTV footage, to give you some advice..

...apparently most of the individuals posting useless comments here , wouldnt be bothered after stolen personal belongings in a living place where guards are payed to make life safe so far possible...

...is it really to much to expect help from the responsable staff to figure out , so far possible who stole the mentioned item ? what are they payed for then???sleeping at the counter???

..wouldnt it be kinda suspicious behaviour NOT to follow up such incident? what next???and how would they handle a major incident??

,...why not giving support , and wether it was expensive or not, does it really matter in first instance or let say what if somebody would scratch your car at the same parking .wouldnt you like to find out who ???

If a Management of a Condominium ignores such happenings again and again, isnt it negligent and questionable? Isnt it setting a wrong sign towards Residents paying monthly fees including for maintenance and security???

( Its not a 5000 Baht rathole...)

What if your new motorbike is missing over night???HUH??? Wouldnt bother either ???

Deepinthailand: all you said makes sense , actually its my background why i try to resolve it together with the staff on duty.Which to me seems to be the most normal thing.

So far, common sense seems not everybody given.

Just wondering what would your reaction would be , if your little daughters things get missing..... or recently bought gift for your Gf etc...Still not important ??? mhmmmmmm

I'm with you aquario33 but It's during these darkest moments that we need to stay focused, to see the light.

I would say that maybe the CCTV footage has been recorded over if more than a week has now passed bye, so don't stress and try to make light of the situation.

No matter what your going through at the moment, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would forget about a visit to the local police stations and try Wat Umong instead.

...apparently most of the individuals posting useless comments here , wouldnt be bothered after stolen personal belongings in a living place where guards are payed to make life safe so far possible...

...is it really to much to expect help from the responsable staff to figure out , so far possible who stole the mentioned item ? what are they payed for then???sleeping at the counter???

..wouldnt it be kinda suspicious behaviour NOT to follow up such incident? what next???and how would they handle a major incident??

,...why not giving support , and wether it was expensive or not, does it really matter in first instance or let say what if somebody would scratch your car at the same parking .wouldnt you like to find out who ???

If a Management of a Condominium ignores such happenings again and again, isnt it negligent and questionable? Isnt it setting a wrong sign towards Residents paying monthly fees including for maintenance and security???

( Its not a 5000 Baht rathole...)

What if your new motorbike is missing over night???HUH??? Wouldnt bother either ???

Deepinthailand: all you said makes sense , actually its my background why i try to resolve it together with the staff on duty.Which to me seems to be the most normal thing.

So far, common sense seems not everybody given.

Just wondering what would your reaction would be , if your little daughters things get missing..... or recently bought gift for your Gf etc...Still not important ??? mhmmmmmm

Would agree with everything you say if you were in the West, but you are in Thailand. Same, same, but different! Things are done very differently here and you need to do things differently. Guards here are "guards". Same same scarecrow. :)

Good luck anyway.

Another crusade for justice, reasonableness and right vs wrong and over such a small issue.

Most prefer to get on with the joys of life and I for one would not even make an issue of such an event in the West where reasonableness is easier to understand and the law stronger.

Go fight your fight if you must but do not pretend you are saving the world in your drama. Even under the law of the West there is a significant difference between Petty Theft and Grand Theft.

Small issue maybe it's called principles. Small issues easily esculate tea leaf nick's 10 lights a night from condo car park. Moves on to another then another and so on. One week 70 lights good buisness. Ah no one bothered about lights so go nick some more. I wonder no one bothered about lights maybe not bother about bike. And so on till he/she gets round to nicking motor bikes and cars not so much of a small issue then

If your happy to let someone nick anything they like of a small issue nature then that's up to you. Personaly I'm of the opinion I paid for it so therefore it's mine and if some low life nick's it I want something done even as I said if it's just notices to tell the low life scum hehe will be caught in the end.

Edited by Deepinthailand

In reply to Deepinthailand he said:

'my simply question is, can we insist to watch the cctv footage by law or smt like that ? i mean, arent the condo management not requested to do their best to avoid , prevent and clarify such happenings exactly by using the

cctv ??? we are nearby to involve the Police, Tourist Police etc....if possible to avoid more troubles we would like to ressolve it somehow else, but if no cooperation is done what other choice we have??'

I don't want free and open access by all (even upstanding noble TV members) to all CCTV.

In reply to Deepinthailand he said:

'my simply question is, can we insist to watch the cctv footage by law or smt like that ? i mean, arent the condo management not requested to do their best to avoid , prevent and clarify such happenings exactly by using the

cctv ??? we are nearby to involve the Police, Tourist Police etc....if possible to avoid more troubles we would like to ressolve it somehow else, but if no cooperation is done what other choice we have??'

I don't want free and open access by all (even upstanding noble TV members) to all CCTV.

It never ceases to amaze me how one post can be pruned down with copy and paste to make it fit someone else's point. You pruned yor bit to say he wanted to look at cctv ok but you just happened to cut out the bit of I asked Management first and after a week there was no response so he asked the question was he allowed to look. Now I am not privy to Thailand's laws on this sure someone on here will be (although I expect there will be several diffrent answers all claiming to be correct LOL). CCTV is a wonderful thing you can watch a 15 sec clip of a low life nicking something without watching the whole tape. All it needs is an experienced Operative. But the point here is the OP asked Management to look (something I am lead to belive they are allowed to do) if the would have got back to the OP and said yes seen and will look into it further or no sorry nothing seen on camera then OP would more than likely have been happy and this thread would not have exsited.

The entire point of having guards and CCTV is for crime, at any level, to be dissuaded and discovered. The management should be more than willing to share any information they have.

This happened to me before here in Thailand, but instead of a light, my entire house was burgled. The nearby resort had CCTV which they gladly allowed me to view and copy. (The resolution of the video was so poor, we could not make any facial recognition, but did see the perpetrators ride away.)

Why on earth would someone pan the OP because the value of the goods stolen was small? It's theft, and in an area that is supposed to be well secured.

I'm with you aquario33 but It's during these darkest moments that we need to stay focused, to see the light.

I would say that maybe the CCTV footage has been recorded over if more than a week has now passed bye, so don't stress and try to make light of the situation.

No matter what your going through at the moment, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would forget about a visit to the local police stations and try Wat Umong instead.

Well said .Lets hope there is still light shining for the OP at the end of his current travails .

Post 14, 15, 17 , 19 and 20 explains all my intentions and background.

Anto: your comments are , lets say , less then helpful and sarcastic.why dont you leave my tread if you dont like it? still boring ??????

Bytheway, our life goes on as usual, and we reallly enjoy here.Apart from such hassles ...

Thank you all for sharing any worthful experience.

Have a nice day all !!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and yours is just plain old nasssty and has stupid stamped all over it.

I know what message the OP is trying to put across. It`s not for the sake of a cheap bicycle light. Suppose some other type of property or vehicle was damaged or stolen from the condo parking area and then the management are totally uncooperative is releasing any CCT footage so as a report can be made to the police. If residents are paying for a security service installed for their protection then they expect to receive what they are paying for. My guess is that the CCT system is not even functional and the security guards are not doing their job to the full or could even be the thieves themselves.

The way to go is, write a formal letter to the managing agents requesting information whether the CCT is fully operational or not and how much it costs to run per year? Give them 7 days to respond in writing and if ignored, threaten them with legal action if they fail to acknowledge the letter and give a satisfactory explanation. If possible try to gain the support of other residents and countersign the letter. Don`t bother with the police as this is civil not criminal.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and yours is just plain old nasssty and has stupid stamped all over it.

I know what message the OP is trying to put across. It`s not for the sake of a cheap bicycle light. Suppose some other type of property or vehicle was damaged or stolen from the condo parking area and then the management are totally uncooperative is releasing any CCT footage so as a report can be made to the police. If residents are paying for a security service installed for their protection then they expect to receive what they are paying for. My guess is that the CCT system is not even functional and the security guards are not doing their job to the full or could even be the thieves themselves.

The way to go is, write a formal letter to the managing agents requesting information whether the CCT is fully operational or not and how much it costs to run per year? Give them 7 days to respond in writing and if ignored, threaten them with legal action if they fail to acknowledge the letter and give a satisfactory explanation. If possible try to gain the support of other residents and countersign the letter. Don`t bother with the police as this is civil not criminal.

I raised some of the same points in Post No. 5 and the OP didn't respond.

Do the CCTVs actually record anything? And has been pointed out, how long is the record kept before they use the tape again?

If you are a tenant you do not have any rights to demand anything. It is the owner of the condo who has the relationship with the management commitee and they only deal with tenants as a favor.

If you are a tenant you do not have any rights to demand anything. It is the owner of the condo who has the relationship with the management commitee and they only deal with tenants as a favor.

Actually tenants have every right to ask as the Tennant you become legal guardian of the property hence you can report yourself TM 30. As a Tennant you have lots of rights.

>>Actually tenants have every right to ask as the Tennant you become legal guardian of the property hence you can report yourself TM 30. As a Tennant you have lots of rights. <<

​The tenant is not a juristic person .If this guy wants to demand anything he has to go through the owner .If he shows his rental contract the manager may see fit to help him ,but he can not demand it .Then it will be over to the Condo complex manager to deal with it .No good the tenant walking up to reception and just asking any old Condo employee .A police report of stolen property will also be needed .Thats why i think its crazy to get involved in all of this for a bicycle light .A bike when parked up should always be locked and anything easily removable taken off .

Edited by anto

>>Actually tenants have every right to ask as the Tennant you become legal guardian of the property hence you can report yourself TM 30. As a Tennant you have lots of rights. <<

​The tenant is not a juristic person .If this guy wants to demand anything he has to go through the owner .If he shows his rental contract the manager may see fit to help him ,but he can not demand it .Then it will be over to the Condo complex manager to deal with it .No good the tenant walking up to reception and just asking any old Condo employee .A police report of stolen property will also be needed .Thats why i think its crazy to get involved in all of this for a bicycle light .A bike when parked up should always be locked and anything easily removable taken off .

Sorry you are incorrect. On all counts.but not to worry.

I am not .I owned two Condos myself in Thailand in the past so i know ,but never mind .

Deep in ____... sorry but you arre very wrong. You should worry when you make comments on a subject you obviously know nothing about.

The OWNER and the Building Management have the rights required to obtain it. The tenant would have to persuade either of those to formally request the video.