No, it's not Thailand anymore: The world's new party destinations

webfact

The Full Moon Parties were always a bit crap really.

The whole thing was a rehash of the Rave scene of the late 80's, early 90's in the UK. Illegal parties in warehouses and fields, the whole "summer of love" thing.

What you have is:

- beach

- music

- People doing stuff that their parents had done 20 years earlier

It pales in comparison to a Monday night at Club Ku in the mid-90's when Manumission were running the night. 6,000 people in a single nightclub, amazing music, great people and things to mess with your head every turn you took. For example, I was walking there one time and right in the middle of the dance floor was a girl at a table, dressed as a nurse, peeling potatoes.

Then you had other nights at places line Amnesia, Pascha etc. - absolutely amazing places, with top DJs and top sound systems.

What do you get here? A crappy sound system on the beach, get your face painted (like a 10 year old), drink a mushroom shake and pee in the sea. Your choice of drinks? Singa, Heineken, Leo, Chang or a bucket of crap with moquito repellent in it.

It's hardly Cafe Del Mar is it?

Thailand has never been a party paradise. It's just a cheap place to get wasted.

Your an Ibiza vet then and I agree with you completely

There is nothing in Thailand that compares with watching the sun set whilst enjoying a drink outside cafe del mar or any other of the fantastic bars that liner the beach there

A truly chilled out place

Then get yourself of to manumission followed by early morning after party in playa den bosa

Pure class

Apologies for any spelling mistakes lol

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand's gain is HCMC's loss.

An influx of Westerners may very well get them to rethink their dog meat restaurants though. Silver linings (for the dogs) and all that.

Why would westerners care about dog meat restaurants in Vietnam? Indians in the USA don't care about beef steaks. Roast beef is not a campaign issue for Hindus in The UK. That being said I saw no dog meat restaurants in my recent visit to Hanoi.

Because we Westerners are better than that. Excepting you and your 'likers', that is. Duh.

The whole thing was a rehash of the Rave scene of the late 80's, early 90's in the UK. Illegal parties in warehouses and fields, the whole "summer of love" thing.

What you have is:

- beach

- music

It pales in comparison to a Monday night at Club Ku in the mid-90's when Manumission were running the night. 6,000 people in a single nightclub, amazing music, great people and things to mess with your head every turn you took. For example, I was walking there one time and right in the middle of the dance floor was a girl at a table, dressed as a nurse, peeling potatoes.

Then you had other nights at places line Amnesia, Pascha etc. - absolutely amazing places, with top DJs and top sound systems.

What do you get here? A crappy sound system on the beach, get your face painted (like a 10 year old), drink a mushroom shake and pee in the sea. Your choice of drinks? Singa, Heineken, Leo, Chang or a bucket of crap with moquito repellent in it.

Thailand has never been a party paradise. It's just a cheap place to get wasted.

I'm pretty sure the Full Moon parties are copying the originals which were in Goa and started by the Hippies in the 1960's.

There was no techno in the 60's huh.png In fact, this little backwater hadn't even heard of it when Id arrived late 90's. But you're right in that the full moon parties here are and always have been, total and absolute sh1t. The only thing they had going for them was that they were on the 'to do' list of any backpacker list. However, the terrible sound systems, awful choice of .music' and shitty locations guaranteed a 'been there done that' ONCE, and never again, list.

The FMPs started mid 80s and had definite parallels with Goa scene, unfortunately the music of that scene, psychedelic/Goa trance, is utterly dismal :D

Never saw Thailand as a particularly great party place myself, at least not in terms of decent music.

What you have is:

- beach

- music

I'm pretty sure the Full Moon parties are copying the originals which were in Goa and started by the Hippies in the 1960's.

There was no techno in the 60's huh.png In fact, this little backwater hadn't even heard of it when Id arrived late 90's. But you're right in that the full moon parties here are and always have been, total and absolute sh1t. The only thing they had going for them was that they were on the 'to do' list of any backpacker list. However, the terrible sound systems, awful choice of .music' and shitty locations guaranteed a 'been there done that' ONCE, and never again, list.

Believe it, or not, but, you can actually have Full-Moon parties without Techno music.

The hippies in Goa made use of the music of their day. Frankly, Techno is talentless, repetitive crap. Would have preferred the Hippy music.

What you have is:

- beach

- music

Believe it, or not, but, you can actually have Full-Moon parties without Techno music.

The hippies in Goa made use of the music of their day. Frankly, Techno is talentless, repetitive crap. Would have preferred the Hippy music.

Music is subjective, not objective Grandad.

People have a lot of passion and talent.

As for trance being crap - stick your headphones on and give this 10 minutes. Absolutely amazing what someone like Oakenfold could do. Even if you don't like it, it took talent to produce and you can tell someone's heart went into it.

BTW - my son is a drummer and my daughter plays keyboards - neither of them are big fans of techno - but there's always music in our house - old stuff, new stuff - we all get a turn to decide what to play in the house/car....

The style of music is irrelevant for me. It's either got heart or it hasn't.