Thailand's "happy Toilet" Soon In The Pipeline

george

Thailand's "Happy Toilet" soon in the pipeline

BANGKOK: -- Not content to sit back and enjoy its flush of success as host of the 2nd World Toilet Expo & Forum 2006 which ended here Saturday, making great strides in promoting higher hygienic standards for clean and safe public loos, Thailand's Ministry of Public Health plans to introduce a "happy toilet" which is not only user-friendly and cares for the environment but also a place of pleasure to relieve one's bowels.

Already known as the Land of Smiles, Thailand's Ministry of Public Health wants to put commodius smiles on the faces of those who are ridding themselves of faeces.

Dr. Narongsakdi Aungkhasuvapala, director-general of Thailand's Department of Health, floated the idea as the 2nd World Toilet Expo & Forum 2006 concluded here on Saturday.

The three-day event was held to promote the development of public toilets based on three guiding principles -- health, accessibility and safety. He said the forum's discussions highlighted the importance of proper structural designs of toilet, cleansing management and user habits as major factors that will help reduce the risk of spreading diseases and accidents as well as increasing patron comfort of the use they variably equipped 'comfort rooms', 'water closets', 'restrooms', 'johns,' 'heads' and 'hong nams' throughout 'The Land of Smiles'.

To achieve more public satisfaction in using public loos, Dr. Narongsakdi said, Thailand will introduce a new set of standards that goes further beyond the current HAS formal—healthy, accessability and safety.

He elaborated that the so-called "Happy Toilet" will respond to a user's need based on the idea of power saving and the combination of nature and environment conservation such as good ventilation, natural light, low-water consumption sanitary ware and pollution-free drainage systems.

The health department director-general also promised that Thailand will launch a campaign to raise public awareness to provide public toilet and other facilities for the elderly and the handicapped people in every public place.

He said the Ministry of Public Health and its offices will be the first to provide services in order to set a good example for others to follow.

The next World Toilet Expo & Forum is scheduled to be held between September 12-14, 2007 in Shanghai, China.

--TNA 2006-11-18

Can someone explain where Thai toilets, or anywhere else for that matter,

use "power", except for the bare bulb on the ceiling. :D

It seems to me power saving will be difficult!!

On a personal level, I always find it "pleasureable" to relieve my bowels. :o

To achieve more public satisfaction in using public loos, Dr. Narongsakdi said, Thailand will introduce a new set of standards that goes further beyond the current HAS formal—healthy, accessability and safety.

He elaborated that the so-called "Happy Toilet" will respond to a user's need based on the idea of power saving and the combination of nature and environment conservation such as good ventilation, natural light, low-water consumption sanitary ware and pollution-free drainage systems.

I just want it to be CLEAN. No gimmicks necessary.

Can someone explain where Thai toilets, or anywhere else for that matter,

use "power", except for the bare bulb on the ceiling. :o

Well, there are pumps on work to get water up to toilets above groundfloor. Such a simple thing as having a choise of a small flush and a standard flush could reduce my power bill with maybe 100 bath a month. Multiply this with many millions and convert to KWH.

This is a serious business, building public toilets. Too many people in the world do not have access to proper clean drinking water and sanitation.

I hope the Public Health Ministry's example is followed by local administration departments and the large number of global supermarket chains!

Laulen

This is a serious business, building public toilets. Too many people in the world do not have access to proper clean drinking water and sanitation.

I hope the Public Health Ministry's example is followed by local administration departments and the large number of global supermarket chains!

Laulen

No chance, they think it's money down the pan :o