Netflix Thailand

whiteman

I have read most updates regarding Netflix Thailand but the last comments I could find was around March this year. 2016

So what has happened re getting over seas programmes via VPN service is that still a go go or has it been nipped in the bud?

Also how is the content for us ex pats living in Thailand has it got better or still the same gripes and if so what are they?

Is the 100 bhat access still worth it? or has it increased?

I have been holding off buying a new Smart TV till I am sure the netflix is worth it.

Looking forward to all constructive replies..

AFAIK accessing other countries Netflix content over VPN has become quite difficult. It used to be very easy but now most of known VPN exit nodes have seemingly been blacklisted.

The catalogue isn't as dense as it is in the US, but I really think that for that price it's still owrth it. Particularly for series. There are IMO really outstanding Netflix-only series like Daredevil, Narcos, Jessica Jones and Stranger things that already can fill quite many evenings of watching television.

I recommend however that you do NOT buy a Smart TV and keep software as separated as hardware as possible. A good regular LCD TV will last you easily 5-6 years, if not more, but you can be sure that the 'SmartTV' software will cease to be updated after a year or so, making your TV much less smart halfway along its lifecycle.

Get a regular LCD and buy an 'AndroidTV' or 'Smart Stick' or a 'Chromecast' r for a couple thousand bahts. They usually have a lot of support from development community which will provide updates and make sure nothing is commercially locked. Then when they are really outdated, then you can get a new one that will work with the latest versions of Netflix and whatever new service will come at the time without changing the whole TV.

Get a regular LCD and buy an 'AndroidTV' so are you saying buy 2 tvs?

I have an old Samsum smart TV now but it can not except wifi therefore I can not transfer netfix say from my comp to the old smart tv

They samsum dealers said it has got a lev 2 chip in the old smart T.V and needs a lev 4 chip to do that job.

As you can gather I am not internet or electronically savy . I know my pc would receive netflix but I do not want to sit in front of a pc and watch tv series.

So thank you for your current advice could you further help me ?

Have no idea where you talk about. 100 baht?

Netflix's fee is at least 320 baht per month. Iflix is 100 baht. You must be confused.

About Netflix though ... VPN was possible through purevpn last month but they warned that some users were banned by Netflix for using a VPN.

But I inquired with purevpn a couple of days ago and they said not one server could block Netflix currently.

I am quite satisfied with Netflix. I use it almost everyday. Mostly watch the 4k original Netflix series.

For the fee I think the offer is ok.

Do buy a Smart Tv with the Netflix app installed (or install it yourself). That way is the only way to watch 4K (now a reasonable amount of content).

Do buy a Smart Tv with the Netflix app installed (or install it yourself). That way is the only way to watch 4K (now a reasonable amount of content).

So let me get this right to or install it yourself means what install what product do you mean the

Chromecast ??? does it have the 4k that you speak of

If not what product can I buy in Thailand that does the so called install it your self.

Can it be done on the outside of the old TV.? or does one have to open up the old Smart TV?

Chromecast does not support 4K. In my case, I have a LG smart TV with webos 2.0 and installed the Netflix app from the LG store. As far as the LG TVs go, you can get only 4K from within the Smart TV Netflix app.

So with 'install' it yourself, I meant to install the Netflix App. If you have a Smart TV you can check the manufacturers' app store if it's available.

Right now, Stranger Things is worth the price of admission alone. Excellent new series, I loved it.

For me, even the more sparse offering on Netflix Thailand is well worth what it costs. Lots of good Netflix originals, plenty of recent movies, and lots of older TV shows too.

It is true, Netflix Thailand does not have as much content as Netflix US. It is still very much worth the B360 price. If you are in the market for a new TV, do not let your Netflix decision get in the way.

I have a Smart TV and 3 other TV's with a Chromecast dongle. They all work fine. If I were to replace any on my non smart tv's, I would be with a Smart TV.

Those recommending Android TV boxes or even a Chromecast obviously no nothing about technology or are too cheap to invest in a Smart TV. The more hardware you add to a TV, the more issues you will have to deal with.

I highly recommend buying a Smart TV as they work great and are Plug and Play. As for no updates after a year... That's garbage. My TV is well over 2 years old and receives updates...

After my vpn stopped delivering, I was disappointed with the Thailand content, and yet, for the money, there always seems to be something to watch... as often as not, their original series... though I have only seen a few... but it gives me a lot of value for money in viewing hours compared to going to the movies...

I have a large screen Mac and that suffices quite well for me... I do not have a tv...

For the money, it has been worth it.

AFAIK accessing other countries Netflix content over VPN has become quite difficult. It used to be very easy but now most of known VPN exit nodes have seemingly been blacklisted.

The catalogue isn't as dense as it is in the US, but I really think that for that price it's still owrth it. Particularly for series. There are IMO really outstanding Netflix-only series like Daredevil, Narcos, Jessica Jones and Stranger things that already can fill quite many evenings of watching television.

I recommend however that you do NOT buy a Smart TV and keep software as separated as hardware as possible. A good regular LCD TV will last you easily 5-6 years, if not more, but you can be sure that the 'SmartTV' software will cease to be updated after a year or so, making your TV much less smart halfway along its lifecycle.

Get a regular LCD and buy an 'AndroidTV' or 'Smart Stick' or a 'Chromecast' r for a couple thousand bahts. They usually have a lot of support from development community which will provide updates and make sure nothing is commercially locked. Then when they are really outdated, then you can get a new one that will work with the latest versions of Netflix and whatever new service will come at the time without changing the whole TV.

Re. "you can be sure that the 'SmartTV' software will cease to be updated after a year or so, making your TV much less smart halfway along its lifecycle"

You are misinformed. While I can't speak about every brand/model of what's called a smart TV, I do know that many ... if not all ... smart TVs' apps/software are periodically upgraded via internet

It is true, Netflix Thailand does not have as much content as Netflix US. It is still very much worth the B360 price. If you are in the market for a new TV, do not let your Netflix decision get in the way.

I have a Smart TV and 3 other TV's with a Chromecast dongle. They all work fine. If I were to replace any on my non smart tv's, I would be with a Smart TV.

Those recommending Android TV boxes or even a Chromecast obviously no nothing about technology or are too cheap to invest in a Smart TV. The more hardware you add to a TV, the more issues you will have to deal with.

I highly recommend buying a Smart TV as they work great and are Plug and Play. As for no updates after a year... That's garbage. My TV is well over 2 years old and receives updates...

What a great and informative post. You have clearly assisted everybody with your knowledge.

Android boxes and Chromecast are great for travelling. Android boxes are also media players and allow you to surf the net too. Really good products.

Particularly as many places do not have smart tvs. :)

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't live in Thailand but I visit often and I have a Netflix account in the U.S. Can I receive Netflix while I am visiting Thailand with my U.S. Password for Netflix or do I have to pay for a new account there?

Re. "you can be sure that the 'SmartTV' software will cease to be updated after a year or so, making your TV much less smart halfway along its lifecycle"

You are misinformed. While I can't speak about every brand/model of what's called a smart TV, I do know that many ... if not all ... smart TVs' apps/software are periodically upgraded via internet

Every single Smart TV I've seen has pretty bad software and very quickly, updates are kept to a minimum and often focused on monetizing more rather than improving the user interface.

I'm not the only one who thinks that, check testimonials online and you'll see that gettign a Smart TV is at best a gamble.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-reasons-shouldnt-buy-smart-tv-anymore/

You can use your US Netflix account in Thailand

I use mine since Thai Netflix opened, no need to cancel or open a new account

Also have Iflix account, which is 100 Thb a month as well

There is some overlap, but a number of shows that only on one or the other..

So in my opinion worth having both..

Although between the two so many series that even if I quit my job and turned into a 24/7 couch potato likely couldn't watch everything

Only downside is no app for iflix on apply tv .. So have to use app on iPhone and then AirPlay when watching iflix

So smart tv would likely be easier to watch both

Netflix is a total waste of money…crappy and outdated film library….the original content can be accessed in many other places.

Their share price has tanked since they havent been able to meet new subscriber projections.

So let me get this right to or install it yourself means what install what product do you mean the

Chromecast ??? does it have the 4k that you speak of

If not what product can I buy in Thailand that does the so called install it your self.

Can it be done on the outside of the old TV.? or does one have to open up the old Smart TV?

Sorry I wasn't very clear.

The devices I mentionned (Chromecast, AndroitTV, Sticks, Apple TV, etc...) are external devices that you plug on your TV, like you would plug a DVD player. They are however much smaller (fit in the hand).

You can find those in the Section Electronics/Streaming Media Players of Lazada for example: http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-media-players/

Some of these devices are 4K compatible.

Think of these as tiny computers without screens. When you get one, you plug it on the HDMI port of your TV (like you'd do with a DVD player) then switch the TV on to display what is on this port. You'll see the device booting up then present you with an interface usually very similar to what you'd get on a smartphone. From there, you'll be able to configure it to connect to your home wifi then you'll go on the App Store (or Play Store) where you'll find all the applications you need (Netflix, etc...).

The HUGE advantage over Smart TVs is that these App stores are the ones from Google or Apple, which are by far the 2 most popular in the world. Companies who put apps on these stores have a very huge incentive to keeping their apps up to date and free of bugs because they are used on billions of devices. The same cannot be said of the stores specially setup individually for the Smart TVs of LG, Samsung, etc...

The idea is that you should buy a TV for what it's supposed to be good at: Displaying images. But for the access to the content, get a separate device, meant only for this.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't live in Thailand but I visit often and I have a Netflix account in the U.S. Can I receive Netflix while I am visiting Thailand with my U.S. Password for Netflix or do I have to pay for a new account there?

You will be fine. I have a Netflix account in Thailand & it works fine in UK & Bangladesh.

Netflix is a total waste of money…crappy and outdated film library….the original content can be accessed in many other places.

Their share price has tanked since they havent been able to meet new subscriber projections.

IMO it's not expensive & great for TV shows, docs etc. I'm not a big movie fan so it suits me. It's absolutely perfect for me at work, during my downtime. I can stream good quality content without having to mess around with downloads.

I have a USA VPN provider that provides me a dedicated IP addresses. Most VPNs no longer work with Nexusfucus since they declared war on VPNs in January 2016. Many crying on forums about this problem. Another major streaming site started the vpn ban two years earlier. I have configured Openvpn on my router. I was streaming the major media services on SMART TV. But I now have a Roku 4 player and use that instead. It requires the power supply be attached to a step down transformer. I get good enough download speeds to watch buffered streaming. In fact, the quality is very good and no buffering. But SlingTV can get fuzzy or blank out at times. I like to watch college football and need better download speeds for live action streaming. After much research, I've decided that consumer based routers can't support Openvpn requirements for my needs asOpenVPN itself lacks support for multi-threading: http://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/RoadMap#Threading.

I read a lot of good reviews regarding using Openvpn on pfsense. One can build their own using an old PC. But I selected a partner of pfsense that is in Bangkok. I just ordered an appliance with pfsense preloaded. I plan on moving my vpn client over to the appliance once it arrives in about two weeks. I will let you know how it works out.
I looked at some of the DNS services and had some mixed results. One major streaming site that was the first to ban VPNs did not work. But the DNS services don't work for me. The reason is 3bb assigns me a dynamic IP address. It can change several times over the course of a weekend. These sites require you to first logon, detect your current ip, and it will map it accordingly. I can't expect my wife to do that. I need to inquire if 3bb can assign a static IP if the VPN war is lost for good. I'm sure there is an extra charge for that. I have 100 down/10 up. I can usually get 125 down/15 up native. With my ASUS RT-AC88U, my download speeds vary between 5 to 30 Mbps down, but average around 10 Mbps down. I think the higher speeds are a fluke as I've only hit that a few times. With my D-Link 880L, dual core 800 Mhz over clocked to 1000 Mhz, I was luckyk to get 5 Mbps down. I have DD-WRT istalled on the D-Link and have Merlin build 380.60_beta2 on the ASUS.
I love my Roku 4 and have only watched True Vision cable one or twice since my Roku has arrived.
p.s. Grateful Dead Channel on Roku. How cool is that!

Kick ass torrent.. Closed down... Pirate bay... Closed down..

It's only a matter of time until the illegal free sites are all taken down

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount to watch legally

And as far as I'm concerned, iflix and Netflix are reasonably priced

Both are good for tv series but no so good for movies

Although if you like movies, should try primetime or Hollywood hdtv.. Both available in Thailand

Pirate bay closed down? Used it just a couple of hours ago. But usual use private torrent sites. And, if ever, it would take a long time to beat down piracy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-21/how-the-us-government-brought-down-kickass-torrents/7649862

Interesting article.

So Pirate Bay back up and running again?

https://www.engadget.com/2014/12/16/pirate-bay-shutdown-explainer/

Was basing on previous news articles, like above link

To be honest, prefer to pay a reasonable fee and watch legally

Since could use services like Netflix, Iflix, CBS app , Primetime, Hollywood HDTV in Thailand... Don't download torrents anymore

I agree with the final comments in the above article , quoted below

-----

....Sure, you're going to have a minority of folks who'll pirate anything and everything as their own means of anarchy, but for the most part, by offering an all-around better legal experience (not having to worry about downloading a virus; better video quality) most people aren't going to bother pirating in the first place. Much like it did with the music industry, piracy has forced Hollywood to examine why we were circumventing their protocols in the first place and adjust as such.

Archived