Does Thailand Really Need Submarines?

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand needs submarines about as much as they all need lobotomys ...... hang on ..

Thailand needs submarines about as much as Pattaya needs ladyboys.

The little general explained that Thailand need submarines, so that neighbouring countries will "be in awe of Thais".

Call me a skeptic but if Thailand wanted neighbouring countries to be 'in awe' of them, should they really be sending Prayuth and Prawit on diplomatic missions to other countries? It just seems a bit counter-productive. Creating entertainment and amusement in neighbouring countries should be encouraged and might be a good way to build bridges, but the traditional way would be to send professional comedians, and not accidental comedians.

Mind you, having seen some of the comedy shows on TV in Thailand...

You just can't beat the humour of a man dressing up in a woman's dress, some other guy putting on an Afro hairdo wig, or a dwarf falling down some stairs.

I wonder if the little fat guy could be persuaded to fall down some stairs. All in the cause of good entertainment, obviously.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

How many "Generals" does this country have now..? A huge gravy-train of public and foreign (US) funds thrown at these people as LOS was the supposed bulwark against Communism (China) in this region, ever since the 60's.

Seeing as they're now courting China, just what is their purpose any more? whistling.gif

Why has the submarine division been intact for decades when there has been no hardware (subs) to keep them occupied.

A mystery built upon the usual Thai mystery built upon collusion and the military keeping the navy happy.

Yes and no.

Yes, the Thai Navy needs them - especially the admirals as I am sure that there is a significant "finder's fee" involved in this purchase.

Thailand as a country does not need them at all.

Look on the bright side though. With BKK sinkind because the aquifer is being drained, and what with the sea level rising, they'll be ablt o moor the subs on Sukhumvit near to Nana.

Might breathe some life back into the place after the Tourism Minister's all done. Be a good draw for tourists as well, "off to see the sub they bought 10 years ago and has never been further than Hua Hin sweetheart. I long to feel some awe... and there's not a lot left in Bangkok."

Winnie

In the age of the Internet Of Things, just after they finish building up that nuclear reactor in Pattaya, what we really need it's a thai space's station, maybe a new chief astronaut general could start re-evaluating all those buffaloes with some specially tailored programs, the NAISAN, so they can better deal with all these aliens...

Thailand need submarines like a hole in the head, they think that subs are nice toys to boast about and

looks good on parade and to go deep seas fishing for the generals,

All Thailand need for their maritime security is fast response missile boats equipped with helicopters and

state of art latest array of weaponry to patrol the territorial waters around Thailand......

36,000 schools getting one million Baht(*) for improvement f.i. ...

(* even just 500,000 after the education administration and school directions will have skimmed it, is still good)

Of course they need them, as any navy with an long coastline does. It's for patrol rather than attack and to keep any threats (that may materialise) at bay.

When you need to patrol on your long coastline, why would your navy use submarines when alongside of it most of your territorial waters are not deep enough (+ rockformations) to dive in with a submarine ...less even to navigate under the surface with?

Gulf of Thailand is too shallow for submarines. Maybe could be used on rhe Andaman side.

They have already built the Submarine base.

On the Gulf of Thailand.

No doubt for sound tactical, logistic and golfing reasons.

Submarines are a very useful source of personal income for the military top brass. With the salary of a general little over the 100,000 Baht a month, how else would they send their kids to top universities abroad, buy houses in European capital cities and other such essentials?

And we haven't had submarines for such a long time, and we have a special training school for submarine crews (some already retired), even a fake submarine to play with, and it will all make a nice touristic attraction for the kids later, ...and the budget has long been (un-officially) approved, the money is ready to be spent, pleeease, we're facing serious problems, you know, because we had already signed the papers to invest the commission money, and over a year later we still didn't get anything... pleeease, we'll be retired soon too, ah, don't forget that, we could lose it all, shame on you when you steal our golden handshake...

The best thing about this corrupt scam ....they never actually have to buy or produce them ....when anyone asks where they are ....'over there' ..... 'where' ..... 'over there' .... 'I cannot see anything' ..... 'awwwww you stoopid, they under water, you no unnerstan'

I can see it now 9 pages of Please Please Uncle Prayut can we have submarines so we can sneak up underneath the Vietnamese Fishing Boats instead of ramming them and scratching the paint on Our shiney Patrol boats

One word... No.... Submarines are about projecting power rather than defense.... or for moving your nuclear weapons around as a deterrent..... All they need for defense is sonar based listening posts setup around and maybe destroyers with depth charges to protect the coastal area.

They are about defence as much as anything else. They are our nightmare on surface ships.

One word... No.... Submarines are about projecting power rather than defense.... or for moving your nuclear weapons around as a deterrent..... All they need for defense is sonar based listening posts setup around and maybe destroyers with depth charges to protect the coastal area.

They are about defence as much as anything else. They are our nightmare on surface ships.

I have not heard of any conflicts post second world war (actually early second world war for the most part) where submarines were a "nightmare on surface ships". Submarines can now be hunted from both sea and air - though some modern nuclear submarines are much harder to find... but I don't think Thailand would get those. The surface ships that Thailand would want to "defend" against would be well within range of land based or air based defense systems. Submarines are primarily used where ships cannot go (under the ice cap - of which Thailand really does not have one that I know of), launching nuclear weapons (is Thailand planning on acquiring those) or to launch typically offensive cruise weapons.

of course they need them, otherwise , how the military will be able to discretly pocket billions baht.

Given the publcity over this procurement they will have to be very discreet .

It won't stop them mind you!