Possible new extortion scam at SCB money exchange

I recently travelled back to the UK on my annual visit to see my family(1/6/2016). As per usual I used the SCB money exchange in the departure lounge. I gave over my Thai Baht to the cashier and she used the counting machine to check the amount to be exchanged, the money was counted in front of me, twice, and the amount tallied with that which I gave her. The money was duly exchanged at the approved rate on the board. The transaction was completed satisfactorily. I then counted the money that was given to me whilst still at the counter.

The lady who served me, whilst expressing breast milk discreetly, which I have no problem with at all, then told me that she had made a mistake in the transaction and that I should give her 4000 Baht back. I refused as I was aware that the transaction was correct. The cashier then stood up and started to cry, telling me that it was an honest mistake and I was not a nice person for refusing to give her the 4000 Baht. I again refused. The crying became louder. I again refused as the money was correct. The other cashier then told me she was going to call the police and report me.

I told her to go ahead and call the police as I had done nothing wrong. The entire conversation from start to finish had taken place in English language. I then told both the cashiers that I was not a tourist, I have been working here as a teacher in Thailand for 16 years, this time in Thai language. Instantly the tears stopped and the apologies started. They told me it was their error and they were extremely sorry for their " mistake".

I had one hour to get to my gate and board my flight to the UK and therefore did not have the time to pursue this blatant attempt at extortion. Upon my return to Thailand I contacted SCB customer service by email supplying them with the transaction number and also two pictures of the women taken on my mobile phone.

I received an automated reply from SCB customer service, but I decided to wait to see if any action would be taken. I waited three weeks and heard nothing from them. I then contacted SCB customer service again by email asking what action, if any, is being taken with regard to the incident at the airport. Again an automated email reply is all I've received.

I don't think it is right that anybody should be extorted in the airport departure lounge when they may not be returning to Thailand and certainly not to be threatened with the police.

How many tourists have fallen for this scam? How many people have become afraid when told that the police were being called on them?

I am disgusted by the total lack of regard with which SCB has failed to act or even reply to me.

I do not believe that I am the first person to experience this but I have no way to find out. I am therefore using this forum to ascertain if anybody else has experienced this.

If you have had a similar experience could you please reply on this forum page and if/when it turns out to be a regular scam I will be able to report it to the police and hopefully force SCB to take action against these disgraceful cashier.

Thank you.

I agree SCB communications via email are hopeless ...crying louder ad louder then the threat of calling the police..not a good way to express herself...probably post natal depression...best get the baby onto fx quick smart so she can concentrate on her job.

Edited by tandor

if you want things to happen you have to talk with a human. Emails are fast to send but slow to deal with. One week of emails back and forth, questions asked and answered might equate to a couple of minutes conversation. Try calling the bank or visiting one in person and talking to the manager or even the tourist police as it seems to be a scam against foreigners?

Thank you both for your replies. I agree that I need facetime with SCB. I can't be ignored then.

I also wondered if the expressing breastmilk wasn't also part of the scam to make me feel sorry for her. I have no idea if the woman had actually had a baby or was just pretending to express the milk. I've lived here a long time and know how far some people here will go to part you from your cash.

I really am more interested to find out if this has happened to anybody else. If no other victims come forward then it's my word against theirs.

Thank you both for your replies. I agree that I need facetime with SCB. I can't be ignored then.

I also wondered if the expressing breastmilk wasn't also part of the scam to make me feel sorry for her. I have no idea if the woman had actually had a baby or was just pretending to express the milk. I've lived here a long time and know how far some people here will go to part you from your cash.

I really am more interested to find out if this has happened to anybody else. If no other victims come forward then it's my word against theirs.

...well the days' takings at the branch would show the discrepancy ...unless they fiddled the conversion rate.

...well the days' takings at the branch would show the discrepancy ...unless they fiddled the conversion rate.

They demanded the money from me after the transaction was complete, therefore there would be no discrepancy in their day's takings.

You still seem to have the slip?

Transaction date was 1 June 2016.

How many Thai Baht did you hand over?

How many British pounds were returned?

If that is a secret I will not participate in this thread.

The rip-off rates at the airport are not published on the net as far as I know, but it's possible to get a close estimate.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You still seem to have the slip?

Transaction date was 1 June 2016.

How many Thai Baht did you hand over?

How many British pounds were returned?

If that is a secret I will not participate in this thread.

The rip-off rates at the airport are not published on the net as far as I know, but it's possible to get a close estimate.

Yes I have all relevant documentation, and photographs of the documents. My issue was not with the transaction of money. This was completed to my satisfaction. Having checked on my calculator app the relevant exchange rates displayed on their board.

My issue is with what I perceived to be an attempt to emotionally extort money from me, through their behaviour and language.

If I am the only person who this has happened to, then so be it. It was a one off ......... I raised the issue on this forum to to ascertain if anybody else has had a similar experience.

My only interest here is to stop what happened to me, happening to other people.

I will still use the exchange shops at the aiport departure lounge as I find the rates to be highly competitive compared to the UK airports.

Not a lot of 16 year Thai 'veterans' change their wedge at the airport exchange booths either... anywhere.

The OP never lost money and should be satisfied with just that. Going on some moral crusade for the better protection of people less savvy (others that change wedges at airports) is on a hiding for nothing.

That and the fact the libel and defamation laws are pretty tough to beat in LOS.

You won, they lost. Well done. End of.

Edited by NanLaew

Not a lot of 16 year Thai 'veterans' change their wedge at the airport exchange booths either... anywhere.

The OP never lost money and should be satisfied with just that. Going on some moral crusade for the better protection of people less savvy (others that change wedges at airports) is on a hiding for nothing.

That and the fact the libel and defamation laws are pretty tough to beat in LOS.

You won, they lost. Well done. End of.

I assume that you know a lot of 16 yr Thai veterans and their habits of changing money, or that is what you imply. As for going on some moral crusade, at least I have morals, unlike the people I assume were trying to rob me in the airport.

I notice that you don't supply the information of better places to change money. I wonder if you actually have that information.

I have neither libeled nor defamed anybody as I am trying to assess what actually happened.

If you have nothing relevant to say about my former problem, say nothing.

• 1 month later...

Why use SCB at the airport instead of outlets like Yenjit or Super-rich which offer better rates and where you can do the transaction leisurely ?. 

If you have been 16 years in Thailand you should know by now rates the airport are some of the worst around.

Plus, when you're travelling you're in a hurry and hence more likely to err. The airport exchange cashiers know that, and appear to exploit this.