Documents required by Penang for non-O based on age?

Further to this this thread which became unwieldy and stopped getting replies, I am flying to Penang on Thursday 11th August and back on Tuesday 16th August with the intention of obtaining a non-immigrant "O" visa based on age (over 50), which I later intend to extend by a year at Chaengwattana in Bangkok.

I am 50, British, spend most of my time in Bangkok, and have a personal Kasikornbank account which I can transfer more than 800K Baht into before my trip.

1. Can anyone confirm the exact documents required by Penang for this type of visa? I emailed [email protected] 3 weeks ago but got no reply.
2. This page says one has to be over 55, not 50. Is that true?

3. Any other potential pitfalls?

Thank you

You will need your passport to prove you are 50 or over, a completed application form and your bank book (updated shortly before starting your trip) showing 800k baht.

You can use an agent to apply for your visa.

Thank you ubonjoe.

Presumably I'd also need passport photos, fee, copies of passport, copies of bank book etc.?

Also, would I need a letter from the bank stating that the funds came from overseas?

Thanks again. Will probably apply in person unless it's highly recommended to use an agent.

My Thai girlfriend can be my "Guarantor in Thailand", but what to write in "Name and Address of Local Guarantor"?

And for non-O based on age, should I tick "Tourism" or "Other" and write "Retirement"?

Edited by thaitanic

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have a couple of questions on same subject, as about to apply there first time myself in August.

What / who would one put as guarantor in Thailand if single? Just ask a friend for their details?

Is a fixed term account sufficient for Penang for non 'O' visa?

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have a couple of questions on same subject, as about to apply there first time myself in August.

What / who would one put as guarantor in Thailand if single? Just ask a friend for their details?

You can put self for guarantor.

They will accept a fixed term account.

• Like 2

You can put self for guarantor.

They will accept a fixed term account.

Thanks ubonjoe. I have a couple of other questions, but probably best if I start my own thread later.

• 2 weeks later...

I just spoke by telephone to a lady in the consulate at Penang. She told me that I would also need:

1. A rental agreement for my apartment in Bangkok (or "a letter from the owner")

2. A "proof or retirement" letter from the British embassy in Bangkok confirming where my income (800k in my bank) came from

I have no idea yet how to go about getting item #2 or if it's even possible before I fly next Thursday (11th). Any pointers anyone?

Not sure what a "Residence Notification slip" is. I don't think I have one.

I can't find any reference at all on the net to this "proof or retirement" letter from my embassy but it came directly from the Penang consulate staff so I'm taking it seriously. And on reflection, I think I'm just going to do a 30-day visa-exempt entry and then apply for a 90-day non-O stamp at Chaengwattana as soon as I can get the documents from the bank. My >800k deposit from the UK has been in my Thai bank account for a week.

Anyone know if Chaengwattana are currently asking for rental agreements (and perhaps tabian baan) for doing an >50-visa-exempt-entry-to-non-O-conversion?

1 hour ago, thaitanic said:

I just spoke by telephone to a lady in the consulate at Penang. She told me that I would also need:

1. A rental agreement for my apartment in Bangkok (or "a letter from the owner")

2. A "proof or retirement" letter from the British embassy in Bangkok confirming where my income (800k in my bank) came from

I have no idea yet how to go about getting item #2 or if it's even possible before I fly next Thursday (11th). Any pointers anyone?

I have never heard of either of those being needed in Penang.

I suggest you contact an agent in Penang to see what they say. Jim's is often mentionedhttp://jimsplacepenang.tripod.com/

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe. That site is very old and with no email address or contact form. There is a Facebook page which confirms the difficulty of getting hold of them and has a rather interesting review and reply up top (!). Personally I think I'll pass and stick to my plan, which seems altogether easier for my situation. This page might help someone trying to get hold of Jim's place.

6 minutes ago, thaitanic said:

Thanks ubonjoe. That site is very old and with no email address or contact form. There is a Facebook page which confirms the difficulty of getting hold of them and has a rather interesting review and reply up top (!). Personally I think I'll pass and stick to my plan, which seems altogether easier for my situation. This page might help someone trying to get hold of Jim's place.

Most people call him.

Email: [email protected]  Click on Jim's in large blue letters or right click to copy the address.

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Most people call him.

Email: [email protected]  Click on Jim's in large blue letters or right click to copy the address.

Oops, I missed that. Thank you ubonjoe.

6 minutes ago, michemiche said:

U can contact him directly in his facebook page, i will respond :
Jim Tachinamurthy

Thank you michemiche. You really mean you will respond to a message sent to his facebook profile? If so, maybe you could tell us here what documents are required by Penang for this type of visa? And what are Jim's charges and timescale for handling the application? (or maybe you meant "he")

By Residence Notification Slip she might mean Proof of Residence certificate which you used to get from Immigration. Used for opening bank accounts, buying motorbike etc.

I emailed Jim's Place at that email address. No reply yet.

Edited by phetphet

On 8/5/2016 at 3:05 PM, thaitanic said:

Not sure what a "Residence Notification slip" is. I don't think I have one.

I can't find any reference at all on the net to this "proof or retirement" letter from my embassy but it came directly from the Penang consulate staff so I'm taking it seriously. And on reflection, I think I'm just going to do a 30-day visa-exempt entry and then apply for a 90-day non-O stamp at Chaengwattana as soon as I can get the documents from the bank. My >800k deposit from the UK has been in my Thai bank account for a week.

Anyone know if Chaengwattana are currently asking for rental agreements (and perhaps tabian baan) for doing an >50-visa-exempt-entry-to-non-O-conversion?

If you and your house owner file TM30 &TM28 (or their Local equivalent) you will be issued a Receipt of Receiving Notification of Aliens Address stapled in the front of your Passport.

Well, in Phuket at least.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thaitanic, 

I'm following in your footsteps and based on Ubonjoe and others' good advice I'm also planning to apply for my O in BKK.

You mentioned having just transferred the funds to your Kbank and about to apply,  but I was under the impression the funds had to be in the Thai acct for 2 months prior to the visa application?

Also, have you any info on how long it takes to process the application? I'm going to request a multiple entry one year, if that's possible...

Thanks.

7 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Hi Thaitanic, 

I'm following in your footsteps and based on Ubonjoe and others' good advice I'm also planning to apply for my O in BKK.

You mentioned having just transferred the funds to your Kbank and about to apply,  but I was under the impression the funds had to be in the Thai acct for 2 months prior to the visa application?

Also, have you any info on how long it takes to process the application? I'm going to request a multiple entry one year, if that's possible...

Thanks.

When applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry the money only has to be in the bank on the date of application.

The when you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 or 45 days at some offices of the the 90 entry the funds must be int the bank for 60 days.

You can apply for a single re-entry permit it you want to travel during the 90 day entry. After you get the one year extension you can apply for a multiple re-entry permit.

On 8/21/2016 at 2:49 AM, ubonjoe said:

When applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry the money only has to be in the bank on the date of application.

The when you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 or 45 days at some offices of the the 90 entry the funds must be int the bank for 60 days.

You can apply for a single re-entry permit it you want to travel during the 90 day entry. After you get the one year extension you can apply for a multiple re-entry permit.

Many thanks.  Apologies, I was asking similar questions on another thread.  Does this mean that if I get a 90 day Non-0 and leave again a few days later with a single re-entry permit, that would push the end date of the visa back by however long my absence is?  Or does the clock start running on day of issue and stop 90 days later whether I leave with a reentry permit and return, or not?  If not that would mean that I have to make sure I can travel to Thailand for the last 30 or 45 days of the visa to apply for the extension.

Is there any way of getting a non-O multiple right away?  Like in Savannakhet?  

10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Many thanks.  Apologies, I was asking similar questions on another thread.  Does this mean that if I get a 90 day Non-0 and leave again a few days later with a single re-entry permit, that would push the end date of the visa back by however long my absence is?  Or does the clock start running on day of issue and stop 90 days later whether I leave with a reentry permit and return, or not?  If not that would mean that I have to make sure I can travel to Thailand for the last 30 or 45 days of the visa to apply for the extension.

Is there any way of getting a non-O multiple right away?  Like in Savannakhet?  

A re-entry permit would only keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you enter the country. It gives you no additional days. You could leave and re-enter up to the last few days of the 90 day entry and still be able to apply for the extension. You just would not be able to do it any earlier than the last 30 or 45 days of it.

At one time Penang would issue a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over if you showed 800k baht in the bank but not sure about now. No other nearby location will issue one for being 50 or over.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A re-entry permit would only keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you enter the country. It gives you no additional days. You could leave and re-enter up to the last few days of the 90 day entry and still be able to apply for the extension. You just would not be able to do it any earlier than the last 30 or 45 days of it.

At one time Penang would issue a multiple entry non-o visa for being 50 or over if you showed 800k baht in the bank but not sure about now. No other nearby location will issue one for being 50 or over.

Thanks yet again, UbonJoe.  Last question -- am I correct that I would have to apply for the extension at the immigration office near my Thai home (Nakhon)?  And would I also need the TM28 and TM30 documents from my landlord or would the signed lease be sufficient?

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Thanks yet again, UbonJoe.  Last question -- am I correct that I would have to apply for the extension at the immigration office near my Thai home (Nakhon)?  And would I also need the TM28 and TM30 documents from my landlord or would the signed lease be sufficient?

I did a reply to your post about living in Nakhon Phanom in another topic here. 

You would need to apply for the extension at the immigration office in Nakhon Phanom.

You will need a rental agreement with signed copies of the owners house book and ID card attached and more than likely a TM30 from them. You would do the TM28 if they asked for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Has anyone heard any more about the Embassy letter stating that the 800,000 baht came from overseas?

I think it was proof you are retired that was mentioned. 

A bank can write a letter to confirm the funds came form abroad.

I would check with an agent to confirm what is needed.

4 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

If your 800.000 Baht didn't come from overseas (easily evidenced by the bank deposit code) where did it come from?

It did but I'm just covering all bases after being denied at Vientiane due to lack of a bank letter.