WP: Just about to resign

So I'm in the process of resigning and I'm finding the rules a bit confusing. Looking at my passport:

1. I have a a single entry non-b visa issued at Phnom Penh embassy on the 4th of April

2. I have a note telling me to notify immigration on the 22nd of August.

3. I have a stamp from immigration I have a multiple entry NON-IMM visa valid until the 9th of May 2017.

Now when I sign the resignation papers, will the non-b visa become invalid that day given I have never notified immigration due to just getting my WP recently? Or will it be valid until 9th of May 2017?

If it does become invalid the same day. Can I just bring my WP book and my resignation letter and pay any overstay fee at the airport instead of paying the 1900 fee at immigration for a 7 week extension?

1. No you don't. That would have expired on 3rd July.

2. That's for your 90 day report after getting your extension.

3. No, You got an extension of your Permit to Stay (probably backed by your employer) about 10th May 2016 allowing you to stay until 9th May 2017.

If you have a "multiple entry" it would be because you applied for a multiple re-entry permit after getting your extension.

Extensions of stay given for working became invalid the day you cease work.

You can apply for a 7 day extension from that day otherwise leave the country within 24 hours.

No overstay fee if you leave on time.

It appears that you have a 1 year extension of stay issued on the basis of work (WP).

• As soon as the WP is cancelled your extension of stay becomes invalid and you should exit the country on the same day.
  • If you take a letter to immigration, from your employer, confirming your employment end date they will give you 7 days to leave the country (1,900 baht). Or if you qualify for other extensions, such as retirement, you could apply for a new extension of stay.

OK so the gist of this is that when I sign the papers I have to go straight to the airport and do not pass go. Have my WP book plus my resignation paper ready?

What if I can get my employer to say they let me go at a later date, but I accept they only pay me until the day I resigned? Would that be legal? Because I am not really liking this GTFO the same day, especially since I don't even know what day I will be signing the papers.

OK so the gist of this is that when I sign the papers I have to go straight to the airport and do not pass go. Have my WP book plus my resignation paper ready?

What if I can get my employer to say they let me go at a later date, but I accept they only pay me until the day I resigned? Would that be legal? Because I am not really liking this GTFO the same day, especially since I don't even know what day I will be signing the papers.

• You could leave by air anytime and wouldn't be asked for any documentation, but if you plan on coming back, or working again, you should cancel your extension of stay and WP before leaving.
  • Immigration do not know when someones WP is cancelled.
  • You can get your employer to postdate your employment ending on whatever date you/they agree.
  • Your employment ends the day it ends, not the day you resign, unless they are the same.
  • Your WP can be cancelled by either you or your employer.
  • Like 1

It appears that you have a 1 year extension of stay issued on the basis of work (WP).

• As soon as the WP is cancelled your extension of stay becomes invalid and you should exit the country on the same day.
  • If you take a letter to immigration, from your employer, confirming your employment end date they will give you 7 days to leave the country (1,900 baht). Or if you qualify for other extensions, such as retirement, you could apply for a new extension of stay.

Why on earth would he want to do that. A similar thing happened to me once. I stayed in the country until my visa was up. ONLY an immigration officer can change your visa. The Dept of Labour DO NOT inform immigration.

The only problem I had was when I got a new WP, I had to go to the police station in Din Daeng and pay 1500 baht.

Must admit that I am confused also.

Why are you going to resign if you want to stay in LOS for another 7 weeks? Wait 7 weeks and resign then.

I imagine that your employer will not be happy at you resigning after having recently gone to the trouble and expense of getting the WP for you.

Why are you going to resign if you want to stay in LOS for another 7 weeks? Wait 7 weeks and resign then.

I imagine that your employer will not be happy at you resigning after having recently gone to the trouble and expense of getting the WP for you.

The problem is, for whatever reason, if the OP were to be put in a position where he was arrested during the day he stopped work and leaving the country he would be facing overstay charges as well if anyone delved into it.

If the OP has an employer who is willing to keep his allotted position open (companies are restricted, by financial and work force for each WP issued) to an agreed date, then no problem....................wink.png

The problem is, for whatever reason, if the OP were to be put in a position where he was arrested during the day he stopped work and leaving the country he would be facing overstay charges as well if anyone delved into it.

Immigration or police wouldn't know. In fact I kept my WP.

Immigration or police wouldn't know. In fact I kept my WP.

If the police were following up all they need do is follow the reference to the extension of stay stamped in your passport. My latest reference is xxx/59 which they can look up in their database as to which reason the extension was given. Then the questions can potentially start.

Not saying it will happen, but certainly could happen.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

What happens if I go for a 90 days extension and the BOI has been cancelled? Will they just refuse and let me pay for the 1 week extension?

There is no 90 day extension you can apply for. For working their are only one year extensions.

17 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

My bad, I meant the 90 day reporting. What I should have said is:

What happens if I go for the 90 days reporting and the BOI has been cancelled? Will they just refuse and let me pay for the 1 week extension?

90 day reporting has no connection with your permission to stay. If your permission of stay hasn't been cancelled, which you would know about, then they will process your 90 day report as usual.

On 22/07/2016 at 11:47 PM, manutfarang said:

If your employer does this they will be liable for income tax and social security for the extra days they state you work.

Would you be willing to reimburse them for this?

Considering they just went to the time and expense of getting you a work permit and 1 year extension of stay I don't think they will be especially keen to help you out.

On 8/7/2016 at 6:00 PM, elviajero said:

90 day reporting has no connection with your permission to stay. If your permission of stay hasn't been cancelled, which you would know about, then they will process your 90 day report as usual.

How will I know when my permission of stay has been cancelled? Would the BOI contact me when my employer cancels the work permit?