Six injured as car rammed into the Erawan Shrine

rooster59

"The car which lost control then rammed into the people crowded the Erawan Shrine," Correction: the driver lost control. The car went where driven.

Difficult in Thailand to separate typical driving from terrorist acts... if Nice were in Thailand could have claimed brake failure.... 500 baht fine.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure most countries in the world allow you to hold a driver's licenec despite having epilepsy. (Including the countries of all the posters saying "she shouldn't be driving but TIT etc)

In the UK if you are epileptic you cannot drive unless you are on medication and that has prevented seizures for a certain period of time.

Different meds work on different people so there's a bit of trial and error. During that time you ain't driving.

So you CAN drive even if you have epilepsy...ummm...what did I say? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure most countries in the world allow you to hold a driver's licenec despite having epilepsy. (Including the countries of all the posters saying "she shouldn't be driving but TIT etc)

In the UK if you are epileptic you cannot drive unless you are on medication and that has prevented seizures for a certain period of time.

Different meds work on different people so there's a bit of trial and error. During that time you ain't driving.

So you CAN drive even if you have epilepsy...ummm...what did I say? :rolleyes:

Nope, you cannot drive if your epilepsy is uncontrolled.

Lookup nuance in the dictionary.

Wrong!

Most countries in the world place restrictions on epileptic driving.

Again...what did I say that was wrong? I didn't say there weren't restrictions. In SA there are restrictions based on many things (age, physical ability, metal ability)...it still doesn't change the fact that you can drive despite having epilepsy. :rolleyes:

At least she did not have a bomb on board.seriously? So a vehicle that weighs a ton? That is fueled by petrol or gas,or maybe both,and can ignite on impact and send everybody in a local radius,to meet their maker.Can cause terrible mess and mayhem to the surrounding area and cause untold distress for the families of those killed.And this is not a bomb.

I take it,you do not drive and no nothing about cars.

Thais I have spoken to assume she's Hiso or her name would be all over the news by now.

Perhaps the Thais you know don't read the newspapers, her Thai name is Mrs Kanuengnit Techorai, 55, and I hope she and the others injured recover and that she stays away from driving her car again.,

Wrong!

Would you agree with me if I said you can't drive in the UK if you have a physical disability...you know...since "driving with restricitions" suddenly means "can't drive at all" on TV today.

One has to ask why she was driving if she had chronic epilepsy ? No thought for others, or no idea what could happen if she had a fit whilst driving.

That's the problem in Thailand: when I had a medical to get the Thai driver licence, the doctor just asked, "You well?" Not even a blood pressure test!

Why don't you check before posting, then you might not be so sure.

What this incident shows is that the area is wide open to a terrorist incident. The car, and it could have been a van or lorry loaded with explosives, was able to enter so easily. An ordinary car which wasn't going at an excessive speed was able to just crash through and then on through the gates.

Could anything be done to stop it? Yes, if the authorities saw the area as a serious threat, which obviously they don't. Bollards are put in place in front of potential targets all over London, for example.

The story contradicts its self. If she was diagnosed with chronic epilepsy after the accident she could not suddenly develop epilepsy as she was driving. But she probably had an epileptic fit as a result of her chronic epilepsy.

Is there any point in discussing if this lady had a licence or not, or made a false declaration if she applied denying any medical condition ?

Another useless point is driving while disqualified.

People here will drive or ride motor cycles no matter what.

there is a question of morality. if all of think only of self and

not the common good we are paving a path of societal decline.

One has to ask why she was driving if she had chronic epilepsy ? No thought for others, or no idea what could happen if she had a fit whilst driving.

Frightening. Thank goodness she wasn't doing 100mph as she cruised along the top road in her way to fetch somtam

Actually, a crash at 100mph would have been beneficial because it would have been the last time she would be behind the wheel.

Please tell me if you are serious so I can block you.

What this incident shows is that the area is wide open to a terrorist incident. The car, and it could have been a van or lorry loaded with explosives, was able to enter so easily. An ordinary car which wasn't going at an excessive speed was able to just crash through and then on through the gates.

Could anything be done to stop it? Yes, if the authorities saw the area as a serious threat, which obviously they don't. Bollards are put in place in front of potential targets all over London, for example.

Didn't you know there was a terrorist incident there not so long ago?

Also, unlike the UK, Thailand doesn't go around the world killing innocent people for their own profit. So there is no need to be protected like London.

Edited by Johnniey

In London? What a load of bollards.wink.png

Thais I have spoken to assume she's Hiso or her name would be all over the news by now.

Hi-so have drivers.

... apart from some jerk(s) in black 200+kmh Mercs

Edited by tifino

Wrong!

Again...what did I say that was wrong? I didn't say there weren't restrictions. In SA there are restrictions based on many things (age, physical ability, metal ability)...it still doesn't change the fact that you can drive despite having epilepsy. :rolleyes:

Not like this woman did.

Hers was not under control.

Wrong!

Not like this woman did.

Hers was not under control.

True, but it doesn't make my original statement incorrect now does it?

So was she breathalyzed on the spot?

Seems to me she is pretty remarkable to be able to reverse the car after the crash whilst she was having an epileptic fit. I call BS! Standard response from the police first at the scene to keep maximum money making opportunities open.

Yes, in UK it's six months without a fit on current medication before they will issue a licence, then you must surrender for another six months if you have another fit. Severe penalties if you break these rules, but TIT where other people's lives are cheap.

And a high percentage of Thai's don't have a license to surrender in the first place ! As for insurance....i won't even go there.

It's the same in Australia...wai.gif

Hi-so have drivers.

... apart from some jerk(s) in black 200+kmh Mercs

You misunderstand what HI-So means. It is not having a lot of money or being able to own an expensive car.

She didn't have an epileptic fit. Seizures are the second most popular excuses given by Thai "police" after suicide. She drove straight down the middle, perfectly, then tried ro reverse out.

But more important than the bs excuse to make ro the story go away is the complete lack of security at that place.

Ever since the bombing there has been a big show with police tents, tourist police command center trucks etc. over there. But they even protect the shrine from a woman having an epileptic fit (supposedly ). How easy was it for the car to enter the shrine? Are the stanchions and gate made of plastic? Even if they were originally installed to keep people from crossing the street there, surely the security situation should have been reviewed and changes made after the bombing right? Guess not in Thailand. Just keep the show going. Tent full of police doing nothing but eating take out.