Bangkok mini vans to be relocated from Victory Monument

rooster59

I've recommended several times already. Why don't they use the area near Makkasan Railway station??? Lots of unused space overthere.

Easily accessable by car/taxi (Petchaburi Rd, Ratchadaphisek, Rama 9 Rd, Asok-Montri, Asok-Din Daeng Rd), train, MRT (Petchaburi Station, just 1 stop from Asok/Sukhumvit). Direct connection with the highways (tollways).

But who am I ??? For the Thai: Just another stupid farang (this one with a high IQ).

At Anusawaree, there are at least two sets of van services. One that provides transportation from the outlying districts of Bangkok and surrounding provinces for workers going and returning from work. The other set is for more lengthy trips to outlying provinces that are usually much faster that bus services. If the vans that provide service to daily commuters to and from work are relocated, this will cause them a significant inconvenience and add a significant amount of time to their commute. The second set actually provides an 'overflow' service to the main bus stations. While removal of the second set of vans from Anusawaree 'may' provide some traffic relief, the congestion added at the bus stations will render the solution 'neutral' to 'negative' in its overall impact. There has already been significant impacts in centralizing van services at Anusawaree. However, I think there has been some 'backsliding'. Better van location with meaningful enforcement and stricter traffic controls are the solution. But little chance of that!

How long would it take a shuttle bus to go from Victory Monument to Ekkamai during rush hour?

You can just hop on the BTS and be there in little time, with only a short walk from the BTS station to the bus station.

How long would it take a shuttle bus to go from Victory Monument to Ekkamai during rush hour?

Why would anyone in their right mind do that? Does BTS ring any bells?

Or the MRT to Chatuchuck Park or the BTS to Mor Chit if they're going to Mor Chit Bus terminal! Of course that might overload the already crowded BTS as how many people can you cram into 3 carriages? wink.pngwai.gif

Thanks for all the helpful replies which tell me things I already know.

What I asked was how long it would take to drive from Victory Monument to Ekkamai at 5pm.

I ask because apparently the government are arranging a shuttle bus to do exactly that.

That will really be inconvenient for people travelling out of Bangkok and add an hour or more to their journey.

It will be inconvenient for some and it will be much better for others ... depending on where they live in BKK.

How on earth is this going to reduce traffic at Victory Monument!?

Instead of getting on a Minivan to go to - say - Rayong now a commuter has to get on a Shuttle Bus at VM to get to Morchit, then get in the Minivan.

So instead of the Minivans causing congestion at Victory Monument there will be scores of Shuttle Buses causing congestion there.

I really wonder sometimes at the idiocy of these "planners"!

Patrick

Normal people will not go to Victory monument if they Know the vans will not be there

The shuttle busses will benefit people who are local to Victory monument and those who did know that they had moved

Thanks for all the helpful replies which tell me things I already know.

What I asked was how long it would take to drive from Victory Monument to Ekkamai at 5pm.

I ask because apparently the government are arranging a shuttle bus to do exactly that.

Anybody who decides to take that journey deserves the pleasures it will bring

It would inconvenience many people because Mo Chit bus station has no BTS connection.

Only if you don't count Mo Chit BTS station.

Your not from BKK ? The busstation they are talking about is not next to the BTS station, Its quite a bit away from the BTS station so I count that as NO BTS station.

They are building a skywalk to connect the BTS Mo Chit to Mo Chit Bus station which will be the bus station for short distance buses and vans. The Main Northern Terminal will be moved to Rangsit near Future park. The Mo Chit Bus Station is the other side of Chatuchak Park, I usually walk through the park. The new Grand Central Railway Station is at Bang Sue also in the same location. There is a motor cycle taxi service up the road if you do not fancy a stroll and there is always a taxi. I had originally recommended that the short distance vans and buses be moved to Makasan Station and that it was announced a year ago together with a map showing the location on the waste ground at the rear of Makasan Station. Hopefully the skywalks linking the BTS, MRTA, Mo Chit Bus Terminal and Grand Central Station will have travellators.

They are building a skywalk to connect the BTS Mo Chit to Mo Chit Bus station which will be the bus station for short distance buses and vans. The Main Northern Terminal will be moved to Rangsit near Future park. The Mo Chit Bus Station is the other side of Chatuchak Park, I usually walk through the park. The new Grand Central Railway Station is at Bang Sue also in the same location. There is a motor cycle taxi service up the road if you do not fancy a stroll and there is always a taxi. I had originally recommended that the short distance vans and buses be moved to Makasan Station and that it was announced a year ago together with a map showing the location on the waste ground at the rear of Makasan Station. Hopefully the skywalks linking the BTS, MRTA, Mo Chit Bus Terminal and Grand Central Station will have travellators.

BTS to bus station is 2.1 km (Google Maps). That's not a reasonable connection, even with a skywalk.

Bang Sue railway station is hardly at the same location. 2.5 km from the BTS and 3.4 km from the bus station. (Again, Google Maps.)

As for travelators, when did you last see one of those in the open air in Bangkok? Not going to happen.

Guys and Gals, surely you must have missed the Aprii´s Fool joke in the news.I I quote:

"trialed from October 1st to 15. The success of the trial will then be evaluated and could be made official on October 25th"

You really think they will trial something for 2 weeks and then come up with a final verdict on the trial´s success/failure within 10 days? Nah ....

PS: But then again, TiT..... ;-))

I wonder how many people are against moving sidewalk vendors off the streets of Bangkok because they are quiant, will argue that mini vans that park willy nilly blocking roads are a pain in the arse.

Have your cake and eat it comes to mind.

Would this apply to minivans used to take students and teachers from Victory Monument to Bangkok Univ, Rangsit Univ, and Thammasat Univ (as that is Pathum Thani Thani provence? IF so that is going to add tremendously to daily commute.

Invoke article 44. Build decent rail links spidering out from Bangkok.

No need for minivans.

I know it's not going to happen, but if Thailand had a decent rail system (no need for hi speed), the number of vans and therefore number of road deaths would decrease.

You mean like this

TH

post-7298-0-31435100-1469528578_thumb.jp

Officials order 4,200 vans at Victory Monument, Rattanakosin Hotel to relocate
By Coconuts Bangkok

post-249866-0-70994000-1469532462_thumb.

Photo: Mike Cogh

BANGKOK:-- The long-running van hub of Victory Monument area will soon close as officials have ordered all commuter vans to move to three bus terminals in Bangkok, starting Oct. 25 in order to clear up traffic congestion.

In an attempt to regulate passenger vans, operators of the approximately 4,200 passenger vans in Victory Monument and Rattanakosin Hotel will be relocated to Chatuchak Bus Terminal, Ekkamai Bus Terminal and the new Bangkok Bus Terminal in Taling Chan, according to Manager.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/26/officials-order-4200-vans-victory-monument-rattanakosin-hotel-relocate

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-26

This is going to be a disaster for many commuters who use the van service to come to work. If they can't get to, say Mo Chit, easily, they will need to queue up twice.... once to get the shuttle van at Victory Monument, and a 2nd time to get the van to where they are going. I figure it will add at least an hour or so each way.