California governor denies parole for Manson follower

rooster59

California governor denies parole for Manson follower

JONATHAN J. COOPER, Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Jerry Brown denied parole Friday for Leslie Van Houten, the youngest follower of murderous cult leader Charles Manson who is serving a life sentence for killing a wealthy grocer and his wife more than 40 years ago.

Brown overturned the recommendation of a parole board that found Van Houten was no-longer the violent young woman who committed a gruesome murder and was now fit for release. She has completed college degrees and been a model inmate.

The Democratic governor acknowledged her success in prison and her youth at the time of the murders, but he wrote in his decision that she failed to explain how she transformed from an upstanding teen to a killer.

"Both her role in these extraordinarily brutal crimes and her inability to explain her willing participation in such horrific violence cannot be overlooked and lead me to believe she remains an unacceptable risk to society if released," Brown wrote.

Van Houten, 66, participated in the killings of Leno La Bianca and his wife, Rosemary, a day after other so-called "Manson family" members murdered pregnant actress Sharon Tate and four others in 1969. Van Houten did not participate in the Tate killings. The crimes and the trials that followed fascinated the world and became tabloid fodder.

"Gov. Brown has done a good thing here, and I think he sees what we see — that this was an unrepentant killer," said Lou Smaldino, nephew of the La Biancas.

At 19, Van Houten was the youngest Manson follower to take part in the killings after she joined the cult in the 1960s.

The murders were the start of what Manson believed was a coming race war that he dubbed "Helter Skelter" after a Beatles song. Manson had his followers prepare to fight and learn to can food so they could go underground and live in a hole in the desert, Van Houten told the parole board.

Van Houten's lawyer, Rich Pfeiffer, said he expected Brown's decision because of the political pressure put upon him. He said he will challenge the decision in Los Angeles County Superior Court, where he hopes Van Houten's parole will fare better "because the judges and the courts have less political pressure than does someone like the governor."

Van Houten's next parole hearing could come in as little as a year, Pfeiffer said.

At her parole hearing, Van Houten described how she helped secure a pillow over the head of Rosemary La Bianca with a lamp cord and held her down while another member of the Manson family began stabbing the woman in her home.

Van Houten said she had looked off into the distance until another Manson follower told her to do something and she joined in the stabbing.

"I don't let myself off the hook. I don't find parts in any of this that makes me feel the slightest bit good about myself," she told the panel.

The La Biancas were stabbed numerous times and the word "WAR" was carved on the stomach of Leno La Bianca.

Los Angeles District Attorney Jackie Lacey and relatives of the victims last month turned in signatures of 140,000 people opposing Van Houten's release.

"These people need to remain in jail until their passing day, for justice to be served," said Debra Tate, Sharon Tate's sister who delivered the signatures to Brown's office last month and has organized opposition to the release of Manson family members.

Manson, 81, and other followers involved in the killings are still jailed. Patricia Krenwinkel and Charles "Tex" Watson have each been denied parole multiple times, while fellow defendant Susan Atkins died in prison in 2009.

Family member Bruce Davis also was recommended for parole, but it was blocked by the governor in January.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-23

I worked with a real nice guy from California. He was in his late 60's. We were siting having our lunch as usual. Manson came into the conversation. He matter of factly said in the course of the conversation, "Charlie wasn't so bad"

Turns out he used to (in his own words) "Hang out with Charlie when he first came to Frisco"

He looked at me and said, "No, i left when shit got heavy, i knew there was something about him in those eyes. Once the acid got involved i moved on. There's a hell of a lot went on that has never been in the media"

I didn't press the guy for any more info as i believe when someone has been in something as big as this they tell you, you never ask. I was taught that when i joined the Royal navy. We were told never to ask Falklands Vets about their time, "Down South" let them tell you.

Personally, she's probably a very good candidate for parole and she should be released. At 66 she represents a slim chance of being a danger to the community.

After so many years in prison, she would need to be in a 1/2 way house or some special setting because a lot has changed in her years behind bars.

See this is what eventually happens. It actually took the governor overturning a parole board's recommendation. Eventually, she'll get her parole, and that'll be the end of this murderer's life sentence. "Life sentences" end up not being life sentences. This murderer should have been put to death. A life sentence is not an alternative to the DP because it doesn't exist. But you don't hear about that from DP opponents when they're arguing to save some monster's life. You read about it on pg 10 years later when those same bleeding hearts are on one of their "rehabilitation" crusades to get the same monster released. Pure bait & switch.

People from California don't call San Francisco, "Frisco". Just sayin'.

I was born in California, my father was born in Frisco. I lived in Sacramento, California and until 2009 I was a California resident all of my life. Seems I refer to Frisco even though I am from California.

People from California don't call San Francisco, "Frisco". Just sayin'.

I was born in California, my father was born in Frisco. I lived in Sacramento, California and until 2009 I was a California resident all of my life. Seems I refer to Frisco even though I am from California.

Let's try to stay on topic.

I think it is people from SF that object most strongly to it being called Frisco.

Her sentence is not fair compared to other criminals who have killed people who were not famous, but who cares? I bet she REALLY regrets being involved in that murder so long ago.

I agree! This 40 years in prison is a very long time to be sorry for your crimes.

I know other people won't agree with me, but one important factor here was that she was only 19 years old when the crimes were committed. She was not the Ring Leader. She participated in one murder, which in some ways had peer pressure to commit them, so she is not a Serial Killer. She is not Charles Manson and the leader of these young adults either. But none the less she was still an active participant in a very serious crime and needed to be punished.

But is it fare to hold someone in prison now only because they are famous and there name comes up in the Media? Many other prisoners who committed robbery and murder, and shot mom & pop at their liquor store, who are not famous, are out on the streets after 25 years or less. So I don't think it is fare to judge her only because she was tied to Charles Manson and his followers at the tender age of 19. The 60's was a very strange time with hippies and drugs everywhere, and many teenagers ran away from home and got mixed up in that Hippy Group, including me..

All I see here was a highly disturbed teen getting mixed up with the wrong crowd and drugs, and who at age 19 committed a serious crime. Who knows what her home life was like before this time? But after being locked up for 40 years and yet being a model prisoner all this time, and also getting a college degree, does say something about her and her present mentality. They should have let her go 15 years ago and when she was young enough she could still do something with her life. What can she do now in her 60's. Run somebody over in her wheel chair? After spending most of her life in Prison, her life is over anyway.

I know of one teenager who murdered her own parents and her younger brother, with the help of her older boyfriend, when she was 16 years old, only because they didn't want her to hang around with her 10 year older unemployed and useless drunk boyfriend. She is out now and was let out in less than 10 years.

Is this appeal case now really that much worst and different then that? In that she should be locked up for 40 years or more, and then throw the key away? What message does that send? That it is okay to murder someone as long as they are not rich and famous? I say what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Throw the Media out the window and judge a person by his actions and time spent. Don't let any Governor get involved with the Appeal Proceedings, as votes count more than fairness or justice.

Her sentence is not fair compared to other criminals who have killed people who were not famous, but who cares? I bet she REALLY regrets being involved in that murder so long ago.

I agree! This 40 years in prison is a very long time to be sorry for your crimes.

I know other people won't agree with me, but one important factor here was that she was only 19 years old when the crimes were committed. She was not the Ring Leader. She participated in one murder, which in some ways had peer pressure to commit them, so she is not a Serial Killer. She is not Charles Manson and the leader of these young adults either. But none the less she was still an active participant in a very serious crime and needed to be punished.

But is it fare to hold someone in prison now only because they are famous and there name comes up in the Media? Many other prisoners who committed robbery and murder, and shot mom & pop at their liquor store, who are not famous, are out on the streets after 25 years or less. So I don't think it is fare to judge her only because she was tied to Charles Manson and his followers at the tender age of 19. The 60's was a very strange time with hippies and drugs everywhere, and many teenagers ran away from home and got mixed up in that Hippy Group, including me..

All I see here was a highly disturbed teen getting mixed up with the wrong crowd and drugs, and who at age 19 committed a serious crime. Who knows what her home life was like before this time? But after being locked up for 40 years and yet being a model prisoner all this time, and also getting a college degree, does say something about her and her present mentality. They should have let her go 15 years ago and when she was young enough she could still do something with her life. What can she do now in her 60's. Run somebody over in her wheel chair? After spending most of her life in Prison, her life is over anyway.

I know of one teenager who murdered her own parents and her younger brother, with the help of her older boyfriend, when she was 16 years old, only because they didn't want her to hang around with her 10 year older unemployed and useless drunk boyfriend. She is out now and was let out in less than 10 years.

Is this appeal case now really that much worst and different then that? In that she should be locked up for 40 years or more, and then throw the key away? What message does that send? That it is okay to murder someone as long as they are not rich and famous? I say what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Throw the Media out the window and judge a person by his actions and time spent. Don't let any Governor get involved with the Appeal Proceedings, as votes count more than fairness or justice.

The sentence highlighted is very hard to ague against.

I read all this shit about 'let her out'she was only 19,she was under Mansons spell.She was brainwashed,its not fair.Fair be buggered.Go tell it to the families,and the relations and the loved ones of the couple that were slaughtered.I am sure they would just love to forgive forget.

Good job governor.

I read all this shit about 'let her out'she was only 19,she was under Mansons spell.She was brainwashed,its not fair.Fair be buggered.Go tell it to the families,and the relations and the loved ones of the couple that were slaughtered.I am sure they would just love to forgive forget.

Good job governor.

Don't know! Did anyone ask Roman Polanski what he thinks about it? He probably got the worst end of the stick with his pregnant wife murdered.

I don't think anyone would argue against this terrible crime. But isn't justice supposed to be fair and just for all? If she has to go to jail at age 19 years old for 40 years or more for a murder, why doesn't everybody else have to? Is it only because she murdered someone rich and famous in a very brutal way.

Good job governor.

Don't know! Did anyone ask Roman Polanski what he thinks about it? He probably got the worst end of the stick with his pregnant wife murdered.

I don't think anyone would argue against this terrible crime. But isn't justice supposed to be fair and just for all? If she has to go to jail at age 19 years old for 40 years or more for a murder, why doesn't everybody else have to? Is it only because she murdered someone rich and famous in a very brutal way.

Polanski is a rapist, pedophile and someone that should be in jail.

See this is what eventually happens. It actually took the governor overturning a parole board's recommendation. Eventually, she'll get her parole, and that'll be the end of this murderer's life sentence. "Life sentences" end up not being life sentences. This murderer should have been put to death. A life sentence is not an alternative to the DP because it doesn't exist. But you don't hear about that from DP opponents when they're arguing to save some monster's life. You read about it on pg 10 years later when those same bleeding hearts are on one of their "rehabilitation" crusades to get the same monster released. Pure bait & switch.

You bring up a good point! Why have a Parole Board when you have a Governor who can decide and overturn there recommendation and like this one did? A Parole Board who have vast knowledge and experience (or at least some) in Criminal Phycology, verses a Governor who knows "Dick" about Crime & Punishment. A Governor who's main interest is to gain votes and his job is to just sign the final piece of paper and put his rubber stamp on it.

Under Canadian Law (and I am sure UK Law) the Queen of England (Elizabeth ll) has the right and power to grant a Pardon to anyone for any suspected crime. But does she decide on her own that a rapist and murderer should be let go because she thinks he may not have committed this crime? No, because she knows there is a justice system in place to make such a fare decision.

Also under Canadian Law, and I am sure it applies to the States as well, a "Life Sentence" is in fact a "Life Sentence" even if they get out of prison after serving 25 years. Once there sentence is up they apply for Parole, and if granted they are released from Prison. But they still have to follow there Probation Order for life. They still have to get permission to do things like move, and they must report to authorities on a regular basis and when required and told to. If they refuse they break there probation order and are sent back to prison. That is not the same as being free.

Let her rot.

No killer should ever see daylight again.

That completely precludes the chances of them reoffending.

Solid argument.

To me it is not a question of whether she has rehabilitated.

It si simply punsihment for a horrific crime. The deceased do not get a second chance to live their lives so why should this murderer?

Good job governor.

The parents of these murdered victims would be very old now after 40 years. The person the accused (Leslie Van Houten) was charged for killing (Leno La Bianca) was 39 when he was murdered. That would put his parents at over 100 years old now and brothers or sisters at 86 to 90 years old. Even a son or daughter would be 71 years old.

Do you really think they really care now what happens after 40 years and being that old?

I am surprised nobody mentioned the cost of keeping someone in prison every year, let alone for 40 years. Which is about $40,000 to $60,000 a year. So what does one hope to accomplish by keeping a person in prison for a few more years, or many more years and until they die, who has already served 40 years in prison? Is 40 years punishment not enough. Is 45 years punishment so much better? Then why try to reform prisoners and allow then to get a college education when you never plan to let them out again. They won't need that in prison. .

Is 40 years punishment not enough. Is 45 years punishment so much better? Then why try to reform prisoners and allow then to get a college education when you never plan to let them out again. They won't need that in prison. .

40 years? Not for this type of offense.

45? Better.

Life? Best.

This was not an involuntary mmanslaughter...this was an intentional, willful act to kill fellow human beings.

Have you read the details of the attack?

Rehabilitation is for people whose crime was not so heinous as to forever exclude from society but the Manson crowd made personal choices that makes them unfit to ever return to society.

Application for parole in an election year for someone as infamous as this is simply done to make money for the lawyer. There is NO chance.

I always felt a bit ambivalent about Charles Manson...because he never killed anyone himself...he merely instructed people to do so...the killers were adults and certainly responsible...I don't know about Charlie...but he will certainly spend the rest of his life behind bars...and he's pretty insane at this point...

In any other case Leslie VanHouten would have been released LONG time ago, before 1980; LVH never killed anyone, she was not at the Tate murders, at the Bianca house Tex and CM decided to avoid the kind of chaos that had happened at the Tate house so they told the victims this is just a robbery, we won't hurt you if you cooperate-there was none of the "we're here to do the devils work" business like what had happened at the Tate house. she took Rosemary Bianca into the bedroom with Patricia Krinwincle and they started tying her up, then Mrs. Bianaca heard Leno Bianca being stabbed and started to struggle- The girls then called Tex for help and he came in and mortally wounded RB. LVH stood there in shock at the bedroom door, that is when Tex told here that Charlie had said that they were all to get their hands dirty and that LVH had to "do something", at that point LVH stabbed Rosemarys dead body, or at least near dead body, Rosemary was no longer moving by the time LVH stabbed her.

The gilrs in the Manson family had no power and were not in a position to prevent this from happening. Keep in mind this was 1969 and there was only 1 phone at Sphann Ranch and no where to go, the members were up there isolated from the world as Charlie was giving them this narrative of pending doom where millions would die soon, so LVH thought all these people would die soon anyways, even if she wanted to put a stop to it.

I think it's too much to ask of a 19 year old girl that she should have 'escaped' that situation in the less than 24 hours between the Tate and Bianca murders.

Application for parole in an election year for someone as infamous as this is simply done to make money for the lawyer. There is NO chance.

I always felt a bit ambivalent about Charles Manson...because he never killed anyone himself...he merely instructed people to do so...the killers were adults and certainly responsible...I don't know about Charlie...but he will certainly spend the rest of his life behind bars...and he's pretty insane at this point...

Big problem is he still has a following. he'd still be able to influence screwballs to commit horrific crimes at the drop of a hat. Is there not still remains of "the family" and new followers mingling?