US B-2 Visa. Chiang Mai or Bangkok?

Hey everyone.

Does anyone of you know where is faster to obtain a B-2 Visa for US? Would be better in Chiang Mai or BKK?

And I have another question. If they make the visa in my current passport and after that I get it renew before arriving US, can they move the visa to the new passport?

Thanks!

Regarding the validity of the visa when renewing your passport, see Q&A 8 at below U.S. Travel Docs - Thailand website.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-gen-faq.asp#qlistgen8
Q.8 My passport has expired, but the U.S. visa in it is still valid. Do I need to apply for a new visa?

No. If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports (old and new), as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. (Example: tourist visa, when your principal purpose of travel is tourism). Also, the name and other personal data should be the same in both passports. Your nationality, as indicated in the new passport, must be the same as that shown in the passport bearing the visa.

Personally I would never use Bangkok. My wife got her B2 In Chiang Mai. Your visa is never transferred. You must keep your original passport with the B2 visa when traveling to the US. Time of turn around for my wife vis in Chiang Mia was 3 days.

Thanks!!!!

The fact is that I have only one empty page in my current passport.

Getting a new one will take one month and a half in my embassy in BKK.

Therefore I'm thinking if maybe I should do the US visa first and after my passport renewal.

3 days wait for appointment? How long to get the visa?

Thanks again!

khwaibah said turnaround time (i.e., time to get after submitting application) was 3 days for his wife.

Now, I expect you will need to make an appointment first before you can even apply

Check out the U.S. Embassy website for lots more info....you can call or email them also.

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-loc-post.asp#LocationandContactInformation

Edited by Pib

Thanks!!!!

The fact is that I have only one empty page in my current passport.

Getting a new one will take one month and a half in my embassy in BKK.

Therefore I'm thinking if maybe I should do the US visa first and after my passport renewal.

3 days wait for appointment? How long to get the visa?

Thanks again!

You need to go online to make an appointment. This process for a date depends on their vacancy. The 3 day turn around was from the time my wife had her interview tell she received her passport back in the mail. You say your embassy is in Bangkok, this brings up another point. Whats your nationality ?

Argentina.

Could I enter us with my passport full? (There will be space for stamps)

But my last actual page could be for the US visa, and f..uck the new passport thin and doit there.

Thanks.

you need to fill out the DS-160 or 260 cannot remember which number all on line after you fill out the form you will need to pay the money at a local bank keep all of the number involved you will need recepts and numbersto make reservationafter paying. Go on line to chiang mai consulate and lookfor visa application. they will not talk to you at all it is done on the internet. If you call they will just tell you to go on line, it will take several hours to fill out the online application form

Argentina.

Could I enter us with my passport full? (There will be space for stamps)

But my last actual page could be for the US visa, and f..uck the new passport thin and doit there.

Thanks.

As moe666 said you have to go online to make an appointment. You will not get an answer by phone. I suggest you go to Star Visa and get with them and ask. They are located on the same street as the US Counulate entrance and the same side, about 100 meters up the street. If you decide to Star Visa will do the paper work and make your appointment. They will tell you what their fee is. Personally your pushing the limits on your passport and should bite the bullet an get a new one now. It looks like you will need to gamble about 9,000 baht to find out and even then if you are successful on getting the B2 its is still up to the discretion of immigration in the US at your point of entry to say yes or no.

Edited by khwaibah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...