July 23, 201610 yr Hey guys,I've been doing my research for a SETV visa run next month.I settled on Kuala Lumpur, but found out they need to see a ticket out of Thailand.After more research, I settled on Ho Chi Minh, and I just found out again that they need to see a ticket out of Thailand.What's the deal with this rule? I can't imagine many people know where they'll be going in 2-3 months time. I never plan that far ahead.Advice would be really appreciated.Thanks.
July 23, 201610 yr Ticket to Kuala Lumpur 1500bht AirAsia. And from KUL you can go anywhere. Or Ho Chi Min City in Vietnam 1,000bht It hardly breaks the bank if you don't use it. Edited July 23, 201610 yr by MissAndry
July 23, 201610 yr If you applied in Kuala Lumpur, the situation is worse than needing an onward air ticket. There is a very real chance they would refuse you a visa altogether. In Ho Chi Minh City, they are fair, but you do need to meet their requirements. If you want a visa without providing an onward flight, consider going to Penang. Otherwise, as already stated, a throwaway 1,000 baht ticket is a possibility.
July 23, 201610 yr Author Just another note, it says on the thai website that HCMC takes 2 days processing time? - Is that like Mon-Tue or Mon-Wed ??
July 23, 201610 yr Author If you applied in Kuala Lumpur, the situation is worse than needing an onward air ticket. There is a very real chance they would refuse you a visa altogether. In Ho Chi Minh City, they are fair, but you do need to meet their requirements. If you want a visa without providing an onward flight, consider going to Penang. Otherwise, as already stated, a throwaway 1,000 baht ticket is a possibility. Thanks for this. What about using a service like flyonward.com at HCMC?
July 23, 201610 yr If you applied in Kuala Lumpur, the situation is worse than needing an onward air ticket. There is a very real chance they would refuse you a visa altogether. In Ho Chi Minh City, they are fair, but you do need to meet their requirements. If you want a visa without providing an onward flight, consider going to Penang. Otherwise, as already stated, a throwaway 1,000 baht ticket is a possibility. Thanks for this. What about using a service like flyonward.com at HCMC? I have never used these rent-a-ticket services, so you should take anything I say about them with a large pinch of salt. My instinct is that HCMC would accept such a booking without any problem. They might be suspicious about someone who travels cheap to HCMC and has a later expensive ticket, but I cannot see how they could prove you are pulling a fast one.
July 23, 201610 yr Just another note, it says on the thai website that HCMC takes 2 days processing time? - Is that like Mon-Tue or Mon-Wed ?? Apply morning of day 1, get the passport back with visa in the afternoon of the following day.
July 24, 201610 yr You could always book on Expedia print out the ticket then cancel within 24 hours. Kurt
July 24, 201610 yr You could always book on Expedia print out the ticket then cancel within 24 hours. Kurt Not quite. For some airlines (Austrian for example), Expedia has a non refundable booking fee (abt 600 baht). For flights in the region, it's generally true there is no booking fee or cancellation fee on Expedia, but there is a cancellation fee charged by the airline. So it's no different to booking on the airline's website, according to their fare rules.I posted about this before, and I am yet to find a regional flight (even business class) that does not charge a cancellation fee. It's cheaper to lose the money on an Air Asia ticket, and even that loss can be minimized by claiming back airport tax. Edited July 24, 201610 yr by lkv
July 24, 201610 yr If you applied in Kuala Lumpur, the situation is worse than needing an onward air ticket. There is a very real chance they would refuse you a visa altogether. In Ho Chi Minh City, they are fair, but you do need to meet their requirements. If you want a visa without providing an onward flight, consider going to Penang. Otherwise, as already stated, a throwaway 1,000 baht ticket is a possibility. Thanks for this. What about using a service like flyonward.com at HCMC? I have never used these rent-a-ticket services, so you should take anything I say about them with a large pinch of salt. My instinct is that HCMC would accept such a booking without any problem. They might be suspicious about someone who travels cheap to HCMC and has a later expensive ticket, but I cannot see how they could prove you are pulling a fast one. It would be wise to have your application processed during the time where that 'rent-a-ticket' is still valid. Later, when auto-cancelled, it could be worthless if they check on it.
July 24, 201610 yr "What's the deal with this rule? I can't imagine many people know where they'll be going in 2-3 months time. I never plan that far ahead." It's a MFA rule that visitors for tourism have an onward flight. Not all Embassies/Consulates comply with the rule. If you want to avoid that requirement you should apply in Laos or Penang, Malaysia. Most 'tourists' know exactly where they will be when their permission to stay runs out.
Create an account or sign in to comment