Birthday gift posted from UK - is tax payable in Thailand ?

MrMuddle

It's my birthday next month, and a friend in the UK wants to send me one of those little personal MP3 players. The cost is under 30 Pounds UK. Is it necessary to pay any tax on this, if he sends it in the post to me, marked as a "Gift" ?

Send it Royal Mail International Signed-For and there's a good chance it will avoid any duty / tax.

I know it's a prezzie, but these things are two-a-penny in any of the IT places.

Thanks for the replies. I live out in the country here, and can't find a MP3 player anywhere locally, to replace my old one, which no longer works. I mentioned this on the phone to a mate, who offered to get me one for my birthday, to save us a 12 hour round trip on the bus to Bangkok or Pattaya. Might have to have a rethink, in view of the costs involved to him.

Thanks for the replies. I live out in the country here, and can't find a MP3 player anywhere locally, to replace my old one, which no longer works. I mentioned this on the phone to a mate, who offered to get me one for my birthday, to save us a 12 hour round trip on the bus to Bangkok or Pattaya. Might have to have a rethink, in view of the costs involved to him.

You might be able to save yourself a headache by using Lazada.com - the selection and pricing will probably match or beat what you'd get from your friend and there's zero tax (duty)