Missing mail

Caps

Has/does anyone else have any problems with mail coming into the country?

My partner and I have had mail (Birthday Cards) go missing on all 3 times they have been sent from the UK

Dec last year, and twice in June this year. In total about 7 cards from different people for different people

The first time I put it down to bad luck...but three times....makes me wonder if someone is taking them. On the third sending they even sent the cards in a brown envelope to make it look less of a Birthday Card. But still no luck.

I am glad it was nothing too important but it makes me wonder whether important stuff would get through or go missing.

Yes - Birthday cards have gone missing but nothing else. Mine were from the UK as well so I guess it could be a problem there, not necessarily here. It would be interesting to get one sent from another country just as a test.

Yes it would be a good test, I am going to get my mother just to send a normal letter to see if that gets through

I find it extremely hard to believe they are going missing in the UK, but you never know

A friend of mine was a postal inspector in the US and even there birthday cards were a big problem...way too obvious and too much temptation.

I remember him telling me to never put money in a birthday card. Send a postal or bank money order made out to the recipient.

I have had problems with delivery but of a different sort.

I had a friend mail me a catheter leg bag from Canada for my trip to Canada. He sent it April 18. He insured and put it on tracking.He was able to track it to Thailand. It took 10 days to get to Thailand. After that he could not track.I left for Canada june 13 still did not have.It got to my house july 23.Just about 3 months in Thailand before it got delivered. While in Canada I sent post cards every one received them but the one I sent to my wife at our address still not here. All mailed same day same place.

In 12 years, the only mail I have had go missing (excepting several birthday cards over the last couple of years) was a replacement laptop battery sent from a Chinese vendor on eBay, a vintage razor sent from a USA vendor on eBay and a birthday present (clothing) for my daughter. The laptop battery could just as easily have gone missing in China or never been posted in the first place but the clothes and the razor I'm not so sure about. I could imagine a UK or Thai post office worker stealing clothing but I doubt either would be all that interested in a 1960s safety razor...perhaps the vendor never sent that. I've never had any registered mail go missing and I've received every package that's been sent by Royal Mail small parcels (or whatever it's called) unregistered delivery service.

The reason I am just as suspicious of the UK post office workers when it comes to birthday cards is not because I want to believe everything is perfect here but because I don't believe Thai people make a habit of sending cash with cards through the mail as many people still do in the UK. And when you consider that the Royal Mail advises its customers not to send cash with birthday cards, it's safe to conclude they know that a certain percentage of their workforce are not above stealing so I certainly don't find it extremely hard to believe. Up until a couple of years ago, I had never had any mail go missing anywhere, either in the UK or in Thailand. I guess my luck had to run out sooner or later.

it is really annoying that anything at all goes missing because I often order things online and I hate waiting to see if they turn up (even if they nearly all do)

Edited by Mark123456

A friend of mine was a postal inspector in the US and even there birthday cards were a big problem...way too obvious and too much temptation.

I remember him telling me to never put money in a birthday card. Send a postal or bank money order made out to the recipient.

Yes a sound idea, no money involved in these, so whoever had them was very disappointed

Edited by Caps

Several birthday cards missing over the years. Just standard Hallmark type card from Grandma to my kids, whom really look forward to the card each year. Last month my mom sent my 10 year old daughter a birthday card. It came back to my mom 3 weeks later, with Thai customs asking for 12 USD in order to deliver. My mom will now only send postcards for birthdays.

12 USD for a birthday card. That really pissed me off.

I receive test mail posted from many countries all around the world. I have to register each one as it arrives.

Each one has a unique code on the letter in the envelope and I actually received about two thirds of those

I am supposed to. At the moment I am awaiting 7 letters dating back to February, but I hold no hope of

receiving them. No particular country seems worse than any other.

I can received a letter posted in the UK within 10 days, but it might take three weeks for one from Singapore!

The company I report to once queried it when I registered the receipt of six letters in one day. The postman

must have been saving them until he could be bothered to come out our way.

That's not a very good rate, or particularly impressive speed-wise. Goods I have sent from the UK are taking around 6 days to arrive in Chiang Mai at the moment - they are being logged in at Lak Si sorting office within 3 days of being posted in the UK most of the time. Perhaps letters are far less reliable than parcels though? These customs demands for duty on birthday cards hardly seem credible. Anything under 1000 baht in value is exempt from duty isn't it?

My local sorting office in Bangkok had some sort of problem three months ago. No mail (local or international) arrived for about 4 weeks. When the mail did restart (albeit sporadically) the "missing" items were never delivered (including credit card statements, periodicals). I just wonder whether they were destroyed because it was too much hassle to deliver the backlog.

Yes - Birthday cards have gone missing but nothing else. Mine were from the UK as well so I guess it could be a problem there, not necessarily here. It would be interesting to get one sent from another country just as a test.

Yes it would be a good test, I am going to get my mother just to send a normal letter to see if that gets through

I find it extremely hard to believe they are going missing in the UK, but you never know

It used to be that Heathrow was one of the world leaders for missing mail.

Something that wasn't publicized that much, a lot easier to blame the recipient country's mail system........................wink.png

It used to be that Heathrow was one of the world leaders for missing mail.

Something that wasn't publicized that much, a lot easier to blame the recipient country's mail system........................wink.png

I have heard it called Thiefrow numerous times., so must be quite the place.