Marriage visa crackdown: Immigration officers who demand ‘extra fees’ to face criminal charges

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corruption is only possible because people are willing to pay to obtain something they are not entitled too.

Get rid of the element that creates the corruption to start with and it's problem solved.

Oh, like just driving along a road....200 baht to officer to be allowed to continue....?

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

gdaya folks,

how much does an immigration officer earn ranked police captain 50k to 60k a month not included lurks and perks like health insurance, public servant housing scheme ????

wbr roobaa01

if you're trying to impersonate an Aussie, it's G'day mate.

Corruption in Thailand generally.

Also, if we want to get to the root of the problem, we might consider, as an example, that the entry-level salary for a police officer here is around 8k Baht a month.

Last year a friend of mine managed to get a UK visit visa for his girlfriend after forking over 35k Baht to an "agent".

She would almost certainly not have been able to get a visa without the "fee".

There were no British staff in evidence at the Embassy on my last visit there.

What does your last comment have to do with your first 2?

Then your friend possibly wasted the 35k

the visas aren't granted by the processing centre or by the Thai's that work at the embassy.

I too know people that have used agents and personally all they do is collate the paperwork and present it well - not worth the money!

Waiting for the standard photo, of a bunch of immigration officers standing and pointing fingers, at another bunch of immigration officers sitting infront of them looking a little less happy.

High level statements of promised action is a first step, but lets see the final concrete outcome to back it up, along with clear conclusions and proof of the penalty, and not just a brushed under the carpet outcome.

I don't get it? If you are legally married how can it be a sham? follow the law and support your wife, what else is there to check? Can the immigration officer look at the two of you and say: "I don't think you look like you are really married, so I'm gonna be deporting you now"???

And there was me thinking for a moment it was to be a welcome crackdown on officials abusing their positions and making life needlessly difficult for honest foreigners by making up rules as they go along and/or demanding extra money for absolutely no reason whatsoever, but no. How stupid am I (rhetorical)?

Visits for marriage are normal but annoying, when i was married i had them visit 3 times. Problem is if you keep to yourself and not have too much contact with your neighbors its hard to get people to vouch for you. Also if your wife works and they come unannounced it will cause problem.

I am not sure how stupid you are though , the title is misleading.. just a little bit about officers facing charges and a lot about sham marriages.

The stupid thing is that I had pictures of my (ex) wife and my parents and me enjoying a holiday and stuff like that. They were not interested only wanted a picture in the bedroom,, picture of clothes in a cupboard (mixed) a picture of us on the sofa and in front of the house. These pictures show nothing.. but real pictures of showing a couple doing stuff are not accepted.

Its the rules we live by, must say the elite visa I am on now was a lot easier (more expensive too sad.png but less of a hassle. Can't wait till im an old fart and qualify for retirement.

Well they don't believe that either.House visit to see if i was younger at home than in person.

Last year a friend of mine managed to get a UK visit visa for his girlfriend after forking over 35k Baht to an "agent".

The implication, surely, is that this allows a greater chance of corruption.

I'm seriously considering changing from Retirement to Spouse visa but some of the horror stories emerging re the requirements, conditions, etc., are tending to put me off, despite some here saying they've not had any problems. I guess it's a matter of where you are and which office you deal with.

One mate in Chiangmai has had his spouse visa refused because his wife's maiden name has one wrong letter between the wedding certificate and her ID card. They had had to make an abortive trip to the Amphoe in Bangkok where they were married over 40 years ago, and received little or no help but for a general letter stating the yes, it's really her...

I've had a retirement visa for ten years and am now wondering if changing over is worth the hassle.

And on another subject with the recent holidays the visit to Lampang by Immigration for the 90-day reports (first and third Tuesdays of the month) was missed so I'll be a day late in submitting it - will that be a problem?

Cheers,

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

I don't get it? If you are legally married how can it be a sham? follow the law and support your wife, what else is there to check? Can the immigration officer look at the two of you and say: "I don't think you look like you are really married, so I'm gonna be deporting you now"???

They once tried the old 'you're not all <2 adults & 2 kids>in the photos' with me when only one child at a time could be seen.

'Guess who took the photo!' I replied, knowing immediately that I was expected to roll over which I frankly refused.

My extn was approved within mins as they moved to the next in line.

I'm on retirement these days :)

Edited by evadgib

My first extention was based on marriage as was my non-o. Paid an agent to handle the paperwork. The next year I changed to retirement, less paperwork and easy to do yourself. Hate relying on other people to achieve things.

It can't be much worse than the process a Thai woman or man would go through in Canada.

I think the reason they don not like family pics is that they can be paid for by asking a fw people to gather around LOL.

It would be nice if we lived in a world that no one tried to bend or abuse the rules.

I'm seriously considering changing from Retirement to Spouse visa but some of the horror stories emerging re the requirements, conditions, etc., are tending to put me off, despite some here saying they've not had any problems. I guess it's a matter of where you are and which office you deal with.

One mate in Chiangmai has had his spouse visa refused because his wife's maiden name has one wrong letter between the wedding certificate and her ID card. They had had to make an abortive trip to the Amphoe in Bangkok where they were married over 40 years ago, and received little or no help but for a general letter stating the yes, it's really her...

I've had a retirement visa for ten years and am now wondering if changing over is worth the hassle.

And on another subject with the recent holidays the visit to Lampang by Immigration for the 90-day reports (first and third Tuesdays of the month) was missed so I'll be a day late in submitting it - will that be a problem?

Cheers,

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

I went the other way. I had a marriage extension but when I went back to reapply they said because there were no children we would have to bring witnesses to immigration again and there would have to be a home visit. I asked to change the application to retirement and they said no problem, went to the other desk and was out in an hour with a new extension.

If they're going to visit everyone at home the &lt;deleted&gt; is the point of taking all those photos and filling out all that paperwork.

Send in your application, get a verification of income, wait for the smiling IO officers to show up, check you and your spouse's IDs, stamp your passport with a new extension then they smile wave and say "See you next year".

Nope, everything has to go through Bangkok, new forms, new silly rules (wear different shirts in your photo this year, have your embassy letter of income stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Chaeng Wattana next year) and we will still waste time sending someone out to the same house you have been living in for years.

Well, at least I know why Thailand has one of the world's lowest unemployment rates.

According to the article, about one in ten applications had irregularities. Now, for a minute, lets not be cynical or realistic and assume for the sake of assumption that these were real flaws, not missing letters in spelled names or wrong sizes of photographs. One in Ten.

How many Immigration officers dealing with these matters have the habit of expecting extra payments under the table to do their work?

I have a figure here from personal experience over the last Ten Years. Unfortunately the Thai defamation law does not allow me to publish the number ...

Until someone videos an immigration officer demanding or accepting extra fees (pen cam or similar needed)

And the video is posted on facebook,

Nothing will be done.....

and even then they will probably just hunt down the video poster

Edited by mki8

good, i hope they follow through especially with the "subject to both disciplinary and criminal punishments”. Too often officials get off with a sideways posting or forced holiday. Unfortunately will make it a little more difficult for the legitimite marriages, but sounds like the house check is already being done in some provinces.

Call me skeptical but I will believe it when I see it. All government officials/departments who bend the rules, are usually sent elsewhere or at worst resign. Again its the whole face thing. Its not just the office but the boss in charge who would be scrutinized. If they have any connections and many do, this prosecuting of officials is just talk, sadly once again.

Also, if we want to get to the root of the problem, we might consider, as an example, that the entry-level salary for a police officer here is around 8k Baht a month.

the visas aren't granted by the processing centre or by the Thai's that work at the embassy.

I too know people that have used agents and personally all they do is collate the paperwork and present it well - not worth the money!

I would disagree with you here. I know people who have tried on 3 occasions to go through the correct channels and each time denied. They used one of these agencies and paid the 'administrative fees' and miraculously they were excepted. This suggest to me that there is some 'back handers' going on somewhere.

What evidence have you to say she would not have got one??? There doesn't need to be british staff behind counters go to Hull in UK Thai Embassy no Thais in evidence there.

Everyone knows there are officers taking kick backs but not from the average farang but from the agents that are in there everyday with a stack of passport / visa applications. I was in there last week and there are agents all through the office walking in and out of the rooms at will going from desk to desk interrupting the system

Personaly I think it great. I belive they should visit and not just once a year when people are expecting it. Do unannounced visits set up a dedicated team of two officers in each area to do random checks on married visa and extension holders. They could also do spot checks on retired extension holders to check there ok and not working or overstaying. I would have thought the vast majority on here would love this. Nothing to hide nothing to worry about as the saying goes. And no I don't see it as another form of intrusion.

Awaiting incoming.

I have never had an "officer" come round my house to check my "status". Everyone in my village (including the headman) knows me. They see me every day, out and about. Actually, I'm the ONLY foreigner who lives here full time, unless of course there are a few I have not met, who just hide inside drinking their Chang, or whatever, (that their wives or g.f.'s buy for them) and watching t.v. When, on the rare occasion, you see them, you can always identify them by their pale white skin. They look like they live in a cave.

Oh, I don't know if that's universally true. 'Didn't cost me anything like B35K, but I used one in Jomtien ICW a simple TV extension where I had to submit a TM30 (which I couldn't believe was expected fm a tourist in the 1st place) and get in line for a "police interview" because of it. The service saved me some time & bureaucratic hassle so I was happy to have it.

Edited by hawker9000