SSD Upgrade and Windows Licence.

chiangrai

I recently bought an Asus laptop in the US from a reputable dealer with a fully-legit, factory installed version of Win 10.

Nowhere on either the machine or the box it came in was the familiar MS sticker with the install codes. (see image in message #17) The only MS indication was on the bottom of the laptop, square sticker that looked something like this:

attachicon.gifst.jpg

I had plans to make it dual-boot, and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to re-install my Win 10 Home edition. I should add my head was spinning a bit, I've set up multi-boot systems on PCs since the 1990s, but suddenly there were all these things new to me, like UEFI, GPT, a locked partition table, my tried and true utilities no longer worked, and a new MS licensing scheme. So, first order of business is to find out how Win 10 licensing worked. I made the install ISOs, looked for answers on the internet, and ended up calling Asus and asked them what my activation/install key was. They said to find that out I would have to send the machine to them and they would extract the code. That was all I could get out of them. I was expecting them to ask the serial number of the laptop and then they'd give me the code, no such luck. I kept looking and found three programs that extracted Win 10 product keys, one of which didn't do the job. ShowKeyPlus and ProduKey both showed the correct install key, another program gave wrong results. The way I verified the key was:

WAIT A MINUTE! Do a backup of your Win10 installation before going any further!!!

Ok now, in WIn 10, Settings -> Change your windows product key

click 'change your product key' and follow the guidance, it'll take or be rejected.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not done a clean install of Win 10 on a 'pristine' hard drive using an extracted key. My current win 10 installation still descends from the factory installation, albeit from restored backups.

I have no inside knowledge of Win 10, all my research has been from the outside looking in. But I can say with certainty that the small FAT32 partition that Win10 creates at the beginning of the hd is crucial. I suspect this may be the saucer full of secrets involving the license, among other things.

It's really not that complicated. As long as you utilise the correct edition/SKU it will activate automatically. What has changed since Windows 7 is the sheer amount of editions/SKU available. Try to install the wrong SKU and it will fail.

If you want a utility that will show you both the key and the installed Edition, utilise ShowKeyPlus

So just take a note of the edition installed and make sure to download that same edition. Then you can utilise that for a clean install as many times as you like. Keeping a note of your product key won't hurt either.

I see that you have already utilised ShowKeyPlus. But the most important thing is the Edition/SKU, not the product key. wink.png But keep the product key anyway, in case you ever replace the Motherboard.

Thanks for that ShowKeyPlus info. Neat little program...may be the best I've tried to show license keys on software products. It showed my current Win 10 Pro license number and also the previous Win 8.1 license number which was upgraded free to Win 10 and later on I bought a Win 10 Pro license key (my computer came new without an OS installed). I had bought and installed myself Win 8.1 when buying the laptop new.

For the "OEM Key" entry it just said Unknown OEM marker presence in firmware and I expect that is because as mentioned my computer came new without an OS installed so there would be no Windows license key firmware entry since no OS was installed at the factory using that method which installs the key into the firmware/BIOS.

The Windows 8 version on the HDD is already licensed and verified. The OP can re-install the original HDD in the laptop and migrate the Windows 8 via the migration software that came with the SSD. Not a big problem but a bit of a headache switching the SSD and the HDD and then back again.

The Windows 8 version on the HDD is already licensed and verified. The OP can re-install the original HDD in the laptop and migrate the Windows 8 via the migration software that came with the SSD. Not a big problem but a bit of a headache switching the SSD and the HDD and then back again.

No need to migrate anything. The only information that one needs from the original HDD is the SKU.Once you know the edition, you can run a clean install.

Examples of possible SKU

Windows 8.1 Core

Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows 8.1 Single Language

Windows 8.1 CoreConnected

So unless we know exactly which, you'd have to obtain all and attempt to install each. The correct one won't ask for a product key on installation.

It might even be shown somewhere on the machine. Perhaps under the battery. The OP should get a move on...instead of handing his machine over to idiots.

He hasn't got the SKU.

Don't you think that i already know that?? I've been on this thread since post #6. What are you thinking?

The OP needs to get a move on in identifying the SKU, including looking under the battery.