SSD Upgrade and Windows Licence.

chiangrai

I just had an SSD put into my laptop.I had a hard drive which came with Windows 8.1 installed when I bought the machine new.

I was really disappointed when the guy in the shop told me that he couldn't transfer my OS to the SSD because of License and that I had 2 choices.Pay 5,900 for a new Win8.1 or 300 for a copy.

I took the copy but was really pissed off because I had had a copy version of windows before and it had all sorts of problems.Now that I am home and am using it it seems really good.

I had the job done in JVC computer shop which was really professional and I don't do much at all on the machine and run very few programs.

So has anybody got any experience with these copies.Are they OK for home use or am I going to start getting viruses and breakdowns ect.

The laptop was 12k,the SSD was 2.5k so 6k for the OS does not make sense unless it's absolutely necessary.

You got took.

All a person has to do is clone the drive using a variety of free or paid for programs. Many times when buying a new drive they include a program or documentation refers you to their website where you can get free software to clone (mirror) your current drive to a new drive such as another HDD or SSD. I've done this on my computers at least 10 times over the years, to include cloning replacing the HDDs in three of my computers with SSDs over the last 2 years or so. Personally for me I just use Macrium Reflect Free Backup which I use for backing up my computers which also includes a cloning/mirroring function.

With copy of a Windows you have a pirated copy. It may or may not come with virus...and it may or may not inactivate itself at the worst time. Have you even looked to see if it's activated or maybe just an evaluation copy which will inactivate in X-months?

If it's Samsung it comes with free migration software. Easy to use and only takes a few minutes. You can still do it if you didn't reformat the old HDD. At least you oonly bought the copy and not the legal version.

Edited by Rob13

It's a Samsung SSD and I have a CD with "install navigation manual and software"written on it.

He gave me back the old hard drive and I haven't touched it.

I also have a Flash drive with a systems image of the real windows 8.1

after I had done all the settings the way I liked it.

I'm not so computer savvy or that interested in doing the job myself but if it's easy as Rod13 sais I will.

There is no CD facility on my laptop.

You don't even need to clone the old drive. You can simply install Windows 8.1 using standard Microsoft media. If Windows 8 was preinstalled, the licence is tied to the Motherboard. So all you need do it to get the same edition of Windows 8.1 that was originally installed and it will auto-activate upon installation....or you can use your key to run a clean install of Windows 10. No need to run hacked software whatsoever.

Where(country) did you purchase the laptop and what brand name and model number?

You don't even need to clone the old drive. You can simply install Windows 8.1 using standard Microsoft media. If Windows 8 was preinstalled, the licence is tied to the Motherboard. So all you need do it to get the same edition of Windows 8.1 that was originally installed and it will auto-activate upon installation....or you can use your key to run a clean install of Windows 10. No need to run hacked software whatsoever.

Where(country) did you purchase the laptop and what brand name and model number?

Yes. Just do a clean install of windows 10, you can download an ISO from the internet,

Better hurry though the free upgrade runs out in a couple of days.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

Edited by Rob13

Do you have your original Windows 8.1 Product Key? It may be on a sticker on the bottom of the PC, or in the original package materials.

If so, go to Start, Control Panel, System

look near the bottom, Windows Activation, Change Product Key. You should be able to utilize your original product key with the currently installed "copy".

AFAIK, you can transfer a license with most minor HW changes, incl. a HDD swap.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

It is best if you can keep a copy of the product key somewhere "off-line".

I can't find the product key I'm afraid.

There is a windows 8 sticker but ne key.

This was the first time I got a computer with the OS built in

so I didn't know I should keep it.

Is there any way to get it.

Yes, Windows 8/8.1 product keys are embedded in the system BIOS and are easy to extract.

There are lots of free utilities available to do the extraction. Careful though, some may be dodgy.

Here is a respectable one: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I can't find the product key I'm afraid

My guess, that with a 12,000 THB notebook, your original Windows 8.1 "license" was "unofficial", so you're probably just out the 300 THB, and have about the same level of software as you had before? In fact, this may have been the only way the shop doing the upgrade could get you running, but then I have little experience with these things.

Assuming you have an official license, you can just take a snapshot of the (Start, Control Panel), System page, which has the Windows activation status, and associated Product ID, and print it out.

My guess, that with a 12,000 THB notebook, your original Windows 8.1 "license" was "unofficial", so you're probably just out the 300 THB, and have about the same level of software as you had before? In fact, this may have been the only way the shop doing the upgrade could get you running, but then I have little experience with these things.

Assuming you have an official license, you can just take a snapshot of the (Start, Control Panel), System page, which has the Windows activation status, and associated Product ID, and print it out.

Despite the similarity of the terms, the product ID that appears on the system page is completely different than the product key and can't be used to install or activate Windows.

Despite the similarity of the terms, the product ID that appears on the system page is completely different than the product key and can't be used to install or activate Windows.

Yes, I just figured that out. Sorry.

I guess you need the OEM sticker, or original disk folder (and good eyesight).

Product Keys and Product IDs are two completely different things,
despite the similarity of the terms.
The 20 character Product *ID* is created during the installation
process and is prominently displayed towards the bottom (in the
Activation section) on the opening panel window resulting from
right-clicking the Computer icon and selecting "Properties" from the
context menu. It is used to obtain/qualify for technical support
(limited though that may be) from Microsoft; it is of no use during the
installation process.
The 25 character Product *Key* is used to "prove" ownership of a
legitimate license and is required to perform the installation, and is
either stored on the DVD packaging on a sticker that says "Do not lose
this number," or is on a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) label affixed
to an OEM computer.
Edited by mtls2005

At least some (I think most) machines with OEM Windows 8/8.1 didn't come a with Windows Product Key sticker like Win 7.

I guess that is because it wasn't considered necessary because it is contained in the BIOS. So even if you completely replaced the HDD/SSD, Win8/8.1 installation would pick up the product key automatically.

My first thought also was this Lenovo had copy Windows installed, but if you do a search you find plenty of credible retail links stating it came with genuine Windows 8.

https://lenovothailand.com/product/item/lenovo-flex-10/

Others have experienced problems with a Windows 8 key when upgrading this machine.

Google it to read through various stories of how they got on.

I wouldn't be too hard on the shop guy...

Edited by kkerry

Little friendly advice: do not touch anything.

As said above, the PC sold in Thailand with a system almost always have a copy.

Moreover Win 10 is greater than 8 or 8.1. Take time to get used to it and you will not regret.

I also have an old Samsung NP370 with a Thai system tongue.png . Switching to win 10 took place without problems last year and copying on a new SSD performed last March with Macrium works perfectly.

My first thought also was this Lenovo had copy Windows installed, but if you do a search you find plenty of credible retail links stating it came with genuine Windows 8.

https://lenovothailand.com/product/item/lenovo-flex-10/

Others have experienced problems with a Windows 8 key when upgrading this machine.

Google it to read through various stories of how they got on.

I wouldn't be too hard on the shop guy...

I would. The shop guy could have cloned the original drive or retrieved the exact SKU of the installed Windows 8 when it was the original drive was installed... then to install that exact edition.. A reason why people could have issues with activation on a clean install of Windows 8 is that they attempted to install the wrong edition/SKU.

Do yourself a favor. Find the Windows 8 key and do a fresh install of Windows 10 supplying the win 8 key when asked. Windows 10 is getting better and better and they are bringing back some Win 8 features in the August update. Windows 8 is much more cumbersome than Win 10. Once you install Win 10, you can roll back to 8 if you want but your computer will forever be licensed to run Win 10. Only 3 days to get it done though!

The worst that probably would have happened was that (particularly if the current Windows installation were an OEM version) after installing the drive that Windows *might* flag your system as unauthorized and require you to re-authorize your system. And, if during an online attempt it fails, you have the option of calling a toll-free Thailand number to press a lot of buttons on your phone to get a manual authorization number, and if *that* fails, you have the option of talking to a human.

In the past I've gone down that road and ended up having to talk to a human, and when I explained that the previous component had failed and I simply replaced it, they authorized the new configuration. This was with an OEM version.

This is great help guys just knowing it can be done but I'm

going to try to find an honest Thai guy to do it.

I'm just not that interested in computers to figure it all out.

Thanks for the help.

What are you writing?? An 'honest Thai guy' will sell you a full licence. Nothing to do with honest. they just don't have the knowledge nor the inclination. Just like yourself.

What they have is an image and a way to activate that image by hook or by crook. So what do you expect the 'honest Thai guy' to do?

To do the job properly, he would need to put the original HDD back in, then to run a command which will confirm the original SKU. Then he can, if he has the knowledge and resource, obtain the correct edition online and then install it. He's not going to do that.

Another option is that he can simply resize and clone the partition. I guarantee you that he will do a poorer job that you could do for yourself.

If you are not interested in learning how to do the job properly, then why waste our time?

Thanks for the help.

What are you writing?? An 'honest Thai guy' will sell you a full licence. Nothing to do with honest. they just don't have the knowledge nor the inclination. Just like yourself.

What they have is an image and a way to activate that image by hook or by crook. So what do you expect the 'honest Thai guy' to do?

To do the job properly, he would need to put the original HDD back in, then to run a command which will confirm the original SKU. Then he can, if he has the knowledge and resource, obtain the correct edition online and then install it. He's not going to do that.

Another option is that he can simply resize and clone the partition. I guarantee you that he will do a poorer job that you could do for yourself.

If you are not interested in learning how to do the job properly, then why waste our time?

Your arrogance is breathtaking.

I have the impression that the op is a decent person and as such almost certainly knows plenty of "honest Thai guys".

If you don't, I feel sorry for you.

Thanks for the help.

Your arrogance is breathtaking.

I have the impression that the op is a decent person and as such almost certainly knows plenty of "honest Thai guys".

If you don't, I feel sorry for you.

What an idiotic post. We are writing about technicians, not Thai people in general.

I should feel sorry for you for your stupid exclamations without even putting your brain in gear.

If the OP wants the job done properly, he needs to do it himself or to purchase another licence. The options he has been offered are a hacked copy or a genuine licence. So what do you think that "an honest Thai guy" will offer?

I recently bought an Asus laptop in the US from a reputable dealer with a fully-legit, factory installed version of Win 10.

Nowhere on either the machine or the box it came in was the familiar MS sticker with the install codes. (see image in message #17) The only MS indication was on the bottom of the laptop, square sticker that looked something like this:

post-12743-0-38834200-1469649317_thumb.j

I had plans to make it dual-boot, and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to re-install my Win 10 Home edition. I should add my head was spinning a bit, I've set up multi-boot systems on PCs since the 1990s, but suddenly there were all these things new to me, like UEFI, GPT, a locked partition table, my tried and true utilities no longer worked, and a new MS licensing scheme. So, first order of business is to find out how Win 10 licensing worked. I made the install ISOs, looked for answers on the internet, and ended up calling Asus and asked them what my activation/install key was. They said to find that out I would have to send the machine to them and they would extract the code. That was all I could get out of them. I was expecting them to ask the serial number of the laptop and then they'd give me the code, no such luck. I kept looking and found three programs that extracted Win 10 product keys, one of which didn't do the job. ShowKeyPlus and ProduKey both showed the correct install key, another program gave wrong results. The way I verified the key was:

WAIT A MINUTE! Do a backup of your Win10 installation before going any further!!!

Ok now, in WIn 10, Settings -> Change your windows product key

click 'change your product key' and follow the guidance, it'll take or be rejected.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have not done a clean install of Win 10 on a 'pristine' hard drive using an extracted key. My current win 10 installation still descends from the factory installation, albeit from restored backups.

I have no inside knowledge of Win 10, all my research has been from the outside looking in. But I can say with certainty that the small FAT32 partition that Win10 creates at the beginning of the hd is crucial. I suspect this may be the saucer full of secrets involving the license, among other things.