Visa Processing Times

Hello guys!

I have a couple of questions that I was wondering if you guys could help me out with...

I am looking to move to Thailand (Chiang Mai) with my family (wife and 2 kids) from Canada.

I have many questions, but even if I get some opinions / ideas on one of them, it is still great :)

1. My wife is Thai. My kids can get a citizenship easy since their mom is Thai. I am a black sheep :) ... Looks like I need to get a non-immigrant visa first in Canada before I enter Thailand so I can apply for a "O" (marriage) visa once I am in Thailand.... Now, the question that I have is - When I apply for either one of these visas, do they get processed in a matter of hours / days / months? Also, once we are in Thailand and time comes to extend the "O" (Marriage visa), how much of a hassle is that? Or is it just a matter of going in to the immigration and getting a new stamp?

2. The 90 day reporting to immigration business... How much of a hassle is that? I guess it is possible online, but looks like some people on this forum have troubles with their website... So again... Is is just a matter of going to the immigration and getting a stamp or is it a bit of a process?

3. In your opinion... Let's say I get the 1 year marriage visa and time comes to extend it... With same documents as first time... Can they refuse my extension? Have you heard of such a case? It would be bad if I moved my whole family to Thailand and then after a year I find out that I can't stay any longer just because some person at the immigration had a bad day :)

4. Applying for Thai PR... How much of a hassle is that? Do you know what are the average processing times?

5. BONUS GENERAL QUESTION: You moved to Thailand with your family... Stayed there for a while... Do you regret making the move? Do you wish you stayed home or was it the best thing you have ever done? :)

THANKS A LOT GUYS FOR ANY ANSWERS! MUCH APPRECIATED! CHEERS! Mirko

1. It depends on where you apply. Some Embassies/Consulates around the world will issue them the same day. However, the majority will take at least two working days. At worst it should be a few working days. Applying for an extension of stay once in Thailand is done at the CM immigration office. As long as you provide all the required documents it is straightforward. CM is one of the busiest offices in Thailand and you can expect to spend several hours getting processed.

If you can't report online you can report by post, in person or get someone else to do the report for you. It's very straightforward. It has no connection to your permission to stay. You complete form TM47 and they will give you a receipt with the next reporting date.

You can 'renew' your extension of stay each year, but it is effectively a new application. Requirements can change each year, but as long as you can provide what's asked for they will not refuse the extension. When you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage it's always put under consideration (formality) for 30 days and they may visit your home during that 30 days.

It takes years to get PR. http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/26122546_regulation_notice_en.pdf. And here is a long running topic. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

• Like 1

Regarding the extension of stay it is a good idea to get a checklist from the CM immigration office , as requirements can vary from office to office. Also you need 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months before applying, or an income of at least 40,000 baht per month.Good luck.

• Like 1

1. Your children are already Thai nationals by birth but may lack proof of it unless you have registered their birth at a Thai embassy or consulate. An application for Thai passports can be applied for at the same time the birth is registered. Info here in Thai on embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/th/info-consular-matters-thai-citizens/citizenship-registry/certificate-birth

4. PR is not possible unless you are working here legally with a work permit and paying taxes for at least 3 years.

• Like 1

johnmell > Yes, I am aware of the 400,000 baht / 2 months in advance deal. Thanks for the heads up though!

Colabamumbai > I have only visited Thailand 4 times, out of which the last time was 1 full month with my wife and kids. Do you suggest that I would regret moving to Thailand? Thanks.

ubonjoe > Thanks for the heads up. I thought that one of the options to qualify for the PR was to:

"Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age."

I would think that if I have enough money to do so, even without a job or a work permit, I should be able to apply for the PR. Something like the 400,000 baht in the Thai bank account - as mentioned before. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My plan was to sell the house in Canada... Live from that money for 4 years until I get my PR sorted out and then start a small house stay / resort business.

Please let me know if this dream of mine is just a dream... I am not sure if I could find a job in Thailand easily in my profession... (also, if I was looking to stay stuck in a cubicle all day long - I may as well stay in Canada :)

THANKS GUYS!!!

Here is the list of required documents to apply for PR if married to a Thai. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/residence/residence_th_sponser_en.pdf

If you could meet those requirements you could apply for Thai citizenship and the cost is significantly less than PR.

You can stay here indefinably by getting annual extensions of stay based upon marriage. Getting ready to do my 9th one.

• Like 1

ubonjoe,

So getting a PR is pretty much next to impossible :|

No wonder you are on your 9th annual extension :)

Where did you find the information that I can by-pass the PR process and just apply for the citizenship instead? Would that be after 3 years in Thailand? I thought that for citizenship one needs to become a PR and then after 3 years become eligible to apply for Thai citizenship.

Thanks again!!!

ubonjoe,

So getting a PR is pretty much next to impossible :|

No wonder you are on your 9th annual extension smile.png

Where did you find the information that I can by-pass the PR process and just apply for the citizenship instead? Would that be after 3 years in Thailand? I thought that for citizenship one needs to become a PR and then after 3 years become eligible to apply for Thai citizenship.

Thanks again!!!

It is not impossible to get PR but you must be working here.

A person married to a Thai has been able to apply for citizenship without having PR since the nationality act was changed in 2008. The requirement are almost the same as applying for PR. You must be working and earning a minimum salary of 40k baht for at least 3 years. See: Guidelines and documents required for application for Thai citizenship by naturalization

• Like 1

As the saying goes - In Thailand you'll finish up with a small fortune if you start a small resort - IF you start with a large fortune.

Been there - done that.

Most small businesses only enrich the landlords.

Really do in-depth research on your business plan and don't make emotion-based decisions.

Also note that Thais will only quote you the gross receipts of their best day as "income" - very few have any concept of "nett".

• Like 1

ubonjoe:

Wow. I had no idea that I must renounce my current citizenship in order to become a Thai citizen! That is a bit too much to ask for I think... Looks like I might be staying in Canada or just live in Thailand like you and keep extending the marriage visa... Thanks for all the good info my friend!

ubonjoe:

Wow. I had no idea that I must renounce my current citizenship in order to become a Thai citizen! That is a bit too much to ask for I think... Looks like I might be staying in Canada or just live in Thailand like you and keep extending the marriage visa... Thanks for all the good info my friend!

You don't have to renounce your current citizenship to get Thai nationality. You just have to do a statement it is your intent to do it when you submit your application. Many people have to gotten Thai citizenship and still hold the other nationality. A topic to look at is dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application .

If you started your own business, got a work permit and could meet the salary requirements you could apply for citizenship.