รับจ้าง ?

boxig

'For hire' is correct just as tax says - you will see it on cars and motorcycles, indicating that they are for hire.

But it some cases it is difficult to translate - รับจ้าง is used on official forms as an option under the category 'Occupation' (อาชีพ) as a catch all for people who do not have a fixed salary, but accept work on a per-job basis.

(Employer - นายจ้าง Employee - ลูกจ้าง)

If anyobody knows better, please feel free to correct me, but my feeling is that if the person performs a job which requires a degree, he would not be described or describe himself as 'rab jaang'...

My association is to motorcycle taxis, drivers with their own car, people who work day to day in the fields or orchards, etc.

I have seen painters and photographers advertising with 'rab jaang' though.

I'm not sure what's wrong with "for hire" in English.

มอเตอร์ไซค์รับจ้าง "motorcycle for hire"

It's perfectly fine in my particular idiolect.

Is there some other context you were thinking of for which it sounds odd?

Edited by Rikker

รับจ้าง - (ก.) สัญญาว่าจะทำงานให้เพื่อได้รับสินจ้าง. v. to take employment, to work for wages, to work for hire, to be a wage earner.

Any job which you work for wages or for hire, you can say that you have อาชีพรับจ้าง For example. If you are an engineer you can fill in the form that you have อาชีพรับจ้าง or วิศวกร, if you are a teacher in private school you can say that you have อาชีพรับจ้าง or ครู but if you are a teacher in public school you have to fill in the form that your occupation is รับราชการ

If anyobody knows better, please feel free to correct me, but my feeling is that if the person performs a job which requires a degree, he would not be described or describe himself as 'rab jaang'...

My association is to motorcycle taxis, drivers with their own car, people who work day to day in the fields or orchards, etc.

I have seen painters and photographers advertising with 'rab jaang' though.

Perhaps though who feel they are above 'for hire' would describe themselves as 'freelance'.

??????? - (?.) ????????????????????????????????????. v. to take employment, to work for wages, to work for hire, to be a wage earner.

Any job which you work for wages or for hire, you can say that you have ???????????? For example. If you are an engineer you can fill in the form that you have ???????????? or ??????, if you are a teacher in private school you can say that you have ???????????? or ??? but if you are a teacher in public school you have to fill in the form that your occupation is ?????????

You gave the right answer, Yoot :D

By the way, are you all Thais living in overseas and learning Thai or Thais living in Thailand and speak English ? :o I'm asking because you seem to know both languages pretty well :D

??????? - (?.) ????????????????????????????????????. v. to take employment, to work for wages, to work for hire, to be a wage earner.

Any job which you work for wages or for hire, you can say that you have ???????????? For example. If you are an engineer you can fill in the form that you have ???????????? or ??????, if you are a teacher in private school you can say that you have ???????????? or ??? but if you are a teacher in public school you have to fill in the form that your occupation is ?????????

You gave the right answer, Yoot :D

By the way, are you all Thais living in overseas and learning Thai or Thais living in Thailand and speak English ? :o I'm asking because you seem to know both languages pretty well :D

I think most of us are Farangs living in Thailand learning Thai, however there are a few Thais on here aswell.

In The Rai! :D