Scotland’s Sturgeon wants independence vote to remain an option

webfact

Scotland’s Sturgeon wants independence vote to remain an option

606x341_339619.jpg

LONDON: -- Just a month after the UK’s Brexit vote, Scotland’s first minister has reaffirmed her intention to keep the northern country inside the European Union. Her speech came as UK Prime Minister Theresa May once again confirmed Britain’s intention to leave the bloc.

Nicola Sturgeon said the option of Scotland’s potential secession from the UK should remain on the table.

“The UK that we voted to stay part of in 2014, a UK within the EU, is fundamentally changing. The outlook for the UK is uncertainty, upheaval and unpredictability. In these circumstances, it may well be that the option that offers us the greatest certainty, stability and the maximum control over our own destiny is that of independence,” she told an audience in Edinburgh.

She said preparatory work on independence from the UK was due to begin.

Meanwhile, new Prime Minister Theresa May was in Northern Ireland in an effort to allay fears the outcome of the EU referendum would have a negative impact on the peace process.

The majority in both Scotland and Northern Ireland backed remaining in the EU. However, a recent poll suggests the Scottish electorate does not want a second vote on independence from the UK.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-26

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And why not, the UK that Scotland voted to remain part of has changed dramatically since the vote.

Now some will say why should Scotland get a second vote so why should there be a second Brexit referendum and I've already heard the ' that's different ' comment.

Let the Scots go, if that's what they want. With oil at $50 per barrel, and fast running out, it's difficult to see how they will support themselves without English taxpayers money paying their social security.

Given the fact that the English taxpayers are supporting so many of them, it's hard to see why the Scots hate England and love the EU so much. Or is it? Sturgeon is a robotic little Bolshevik communist and the EU more and more resembles the Soviet Union, with it's centralised control inflicting unemployment and poverty on so many.

Let the Scots go, if that's what they want. With oil at $50 per barrel, and fast running out, it's difficult to see how they will support themselves without English taxpayers money paying their social security.

Given the fact that the English taxpayers are supporting so many of them, it's hard to see why the Scots hate England and love the EU so much. Or is it? Sturgeon is a robotic little Bolshevik communist and the EU more and more resembles the Soviet Union, with it's centralised control inflicting unemployment and poverty on so many.

Yes please.

LET MY PEOPLE GO !

What about the million or so scots that voted for brexit? What kind of independence does Scotland with a population of 5 million people think they are going to get from Brussels? Scotland voted just two years ago to stay in the UK. The U.K voted for brexit,48% of the U.K. Voted to remain. Scotland,now please listen all you braveheart ex pats , has voted two years ago to stay in the UK. The U.K voted for brexit so like nearly half of England that voted to remain ,stop whinging and get on with it.

I voted to remain, I'm Scottish (well mostly) and this woman really gets on my ti#ts. Does she actually do or talk about anything else apart from independence?? What does she actually do for Scotland apart from this? All the Scottish whingers should educate themselves and see exactly what the perks actually are from being in the UK. And pray also that the rest of the U.K. don't decide to have their own referendum on keeping us!

What about the million or so scots that voted for brexit? What kind of independence does Scotland with a population of 5 million people think they are going to get from Brussels? Scotland voted just two years ago to stay in the UK. The U.K voted for brexit,48% of the U.K. Voted to remain. Scotland,now please listen all you braveheart ex pats , has voted two years ago to stay in the UK. The U.K voted for brexit so like nearly half of England that voted to remain ,stop whinging and get on with it.

I voted to remain, I'm Scottish (well mostly) and this woman really gets on my ti#ts. Does she actually do or talk about anything else apart from independence?? What does she actually do for Scotland apart from this? All the Scottish whingers should educate themselves and see exactly what the perks actually are from being in the UK. And pray also that the rest of the U.K. don't decide to have their own referendum on keeping us!

Well said, and let's not forget that the majority of Scots, being sensible and pragmatic people, voted to remain part of the UK. Sturgeon thinks that independence means taking orders from faceless bureaucrats in Brussels. What a false prophet she is.

And what self determination do we get when we, as a nation, repeatedly and comprehensively reject the Tories yet we are required to endure year after year of their assault on the working class to the betterment of their friends and donors?

They are asset stripping the country, selling off the riches to the highest corrupt bidder whilst reducing the rights of the average person until we will all be in the pockets of their beloved multi nationals and business barons.

There are people on TV who often repeat the nonsense that Scots hate the English - independence is not a rejection of England but of Westminster, a place we clearly have no direct influence over.

And why not, the UK that Scotland voted to remain part of has changed dramatically since the vote.

Now some will say why should Scotland get a second vote so why should there be a second Brexit referendum and I've already heard the ' that's different ' comment.

It's exactly the same. 48% of Scotland voted to leave the UK. 48% of the U.K. Voted to remain in Europe . Both 48% are unhappy with the result. I understand what you are saying in that if Scotland had another referendum the result maybe different now. But I'm pretty sure that if there was another vote on the UK staying in the EU that result may well be different aswell. So really it's no different. It's democracy.

Hey, I don't hate you! None of my friends hate you. In fact, none of the many English TV posters who have made the oft-repeated comment that Scots hate the English have been able to back it up with tangible facts to prove the claim (although one poster did refer to an incident in the 1960s when someone suggested he go back to England).

So maybe you can be the first TV poster ever to be able to provide clear evidence of the Scots' hatred of the English. Or maybe not.

Let the <deleted> go. I'm tired of the bleating from the self promotional Sturgeon. nearly 40% of Scottish voted to leave the EU. What next, London votes independence to stay in Europe? Careful what you wish for. The last referendum on independence was based on what proved to be a highly incorrect oil $ price.

And what self determination do we get when we, as a nation, repeatedly and comprehensively reject the Tories yet we are required to endure year after year of their assault on the working class to the betterment of their friends and donors?

They are asset stripping the country, selling off the riches to the highest corrupt bidder whilst reducing the rights of the average person until we will all be in the pockets of their beloved multi nationals and business barons.

There are people on TV who often repeat the nonsense that Scots hate the English - independence is not a rejection of England but of Westminster, a place we clearly have no direct influence over.

Are you trying to say in an eu sense is that what Brussels is to England (UK), Westminster is to Scotland

Well said, and let's not forget that the majority of Scots, being sensible and pragmatic people, voted to remain part of the UK. Sturgeon thinks that independence means taking orders from faceless bureaucrats in Brussels. What a false prophet she is.

Agreed, totally tied of the wee Krankie ass hole. She is happy for Scotland to replace a democratically elected government in London for a totally undemocratic Brussels. Self serving cow.

Just like a lot of English voters reject the conservatives and Westminster. And to be honest it was the snp voters that assured the UK of a prolonged Tory government. Labour were completely ripped of nearly all its voters in Scotland by the snp.

I'm not commenting on the supposed Scots hate English BS. I'm a 50% Jock anyway, but what is so weird is that you complain about not getting a voice due to the Tory government, but they have only been in power 2 years. Before that it was coalition, before that 13 years of Labour hell. But what's that? 3 government changes??!! You do realise that was caused due to a vote right? How many voting options are there available in Europe? Oh that's right, there isn't any. NONE. Totally undemocratic process that is the EU with non elected presidents (5 of them) and commissioners. Ready to enter in to TTIP with the US, asset stripping, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Good look .

Are you trying to say in an eu sense is that what Brussels is to England (UK), Westminster is to Scotland

Not at all - in the EU, an independent Scotland will be an equal member at the table. In the UK, we are an inconvenient afterthought with zero input in Westminster.

Just like a lot of English voters reject the conservatives and Westminster. And to be honest it was the snp voters that assured the UK of a prolonged Tory government. Labour were completely ripped of nearly all its voters in Scotland by the snp.

I am on my mobile so won't go through Google to show you how that suggestion has been comprehensively disproven - the Scottish electorate has zero influence on the composition of the Westminster government. We can ensure its comfort or otherwise, but we never tip the balance.

I'm not commenting on the supposed Scots hate English BS. I'm a 50% Jock anyway, but what is so weird is that you complain about not getting a voice due to the Tory government, but they have only been in power 2 years. Before that it was coalition, before that 13 years of Labour hell. But what's that? 3 government changes??!! You do realise that was caused due to a vote right? How many voting options are there available in Europe? Oh that's right, there isn't any. NONE. Totally undemocratic process that is the EU with non elected presidents (5 of them) and commissioners. Ready to enter in to TTIP with the US, asset stripping, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Good look .

So we should just sit and accept recurring versions of the nasty party or whatever else our English neighbours elect, despite our repeated rejection of them? We have demonstrated time and time again what an undemocratic farce FPTP is, yet we continue to be totally unrepresented in Westminster.

Wasnt there something about the EU saying that they wouldnt deal with an independent Scotland,if England pulled out.and Scotland split from the UK.

I dont know the score with the Irish republic.Do they deal with the EU as a country?

confused.

Not at all - in the EU, an independent Scotland will be an equal member at the table. In the UK, we are an inconvenient afterthought with zero input in Westminster.

Oh yes of course they will listen to Scotland . They didn't give two shi#s for what the UK had to say as a whole, and you think they going to listen to a country of 5 million? The U.K was one of the biggest contributer to the EU, had a bit of clout on the world stage and Brussels ,EU didn't care less what we said. So good luck with the equal member stuff at the table.

I doubt Scotland would be accepted anyway, Spain ain't having none of it and I'm sure a few others won't be happy about it.

Wasnt there something about the EU saying that they wouldnt deal with an independent Scotland,if England pulled out.and Scotland split from the UK.

I dont know the score with the Irish republic.Do they deal with the EU as a country?

confused.

Are you confused with Nth. Ireland as the Republic is a full EU member and has nothing to do with Britain ?

confused.

If Scotland was to leave the UK through a unilateral declaration of independence then we would most likely be ignored by more than just the EU, however this is not a route that anyone would want to take.

If we were to leave through a democratic mandate then the EU would negotiate entry. There would be no obstacle, not even Spain, who have confirmed that a democratically independent Scotland would receive their support.

Oh yes of course they will listen to Scotland . They didn't give two shi#s for what the UK had to say as a whole, and you think they going to listen to a country of 5 million? The U.K was one of the biggest contributer to the EU, had a bit of clout on the world stage and Brussels ,EU didn't care less what we said. So good luck with the equal member stuff at the table.

I doubt Scotland would be accepted anyway, Spain ain't having none of it and I'm sure a few others won't be happy about it.

What's the difference for us then? We get no representation and little in the way of interest from Downing Street at the moment. At least in the EU, we can leave when we choose.

As for Spain, this has been debunked repeatedly. UDI = veto, democratic mandate = support.

confused.

If Scotland was to leave the UK through a unilateral declaration of independence then we would most likely be ignored by more than just the EU, however this is not a route that anyone would want to take.

If we were to leave through a democratic mandate then the EU would negotiate entry. There would be no obstacle, not even Spain, who have confirmed that a democratically independent Scotland would receive their support.

The Spanish position is now totally different to when Scotland was looking to separate from the UK whilst within the EU. They are probably would probably support them now as it puts a lot of fishing grounds back into the EU and anything that weakens the UK position will strengthen their position when the exit/trade agreement is finalised that they would need to ratify and they can point out that it doesn't mention Gibraltar.

I suggest you read the last sentence of the article. This is Sturgeon taking advantage and making mischief. As part of the UK and I say again, as part of the UK the vote was for UK, not Scotland alone, or Ireland alone, or England alone, to leave the EU. EU has already intimated that there will be NO special treatment for Scotland and sent Sturgeon packing. These highly overpaid politicians think that the public should fund referendum, after referendum until they get what THEY (not the majority of the Public) want. There is also another little matter for Sturgeon to consider, she no longer can carry the vote on with only the SNP. She also needs to remember, the last person who lead this ill considered charge for independence had to step down as Chief Minister. Oil is at an almost all time low and if they come out of the UK, Scotland needs to have it's own currency, pending entry in to the EU (which will take several years). The last idiot thought Scotland could still use sterling if they left the UK. By the way, I write this as a Scotsman.

I suggest you read the last sentence of the article. This is Sturgeon taking advantage and making mischief. As part of the UK and I say again, as part of the UK the vote was for UK, not Scotland alone, or Ireland alone, or England alone, to leave the EU. EU has already intimated that there will be NO special treatment for Scotland and sent Sturgeon packing. These highly overpaid politicians think that the public should fund referendum, after referendum until they get what THEY (not the majority of the Public) want. There is also another little matter for Sturgeon to consider, she no longer can carry the vote on with only the SNP. She also needs to remember, the last person who lead this ill considered charge for independence had to step down as Chief Minister. Oil is at an almost all time low and if they come out of the UK, Scotland needs to have it's own currency, pending entry in to the EU (which will take several years). The last idiot thought Scotland could still use sterling if they left the UK. By the way, I write this as a Scotsman.

So much misinformation in one post.

The EU will not make a special case for Scotland but Sturgeon has had constructive and supportive meetings with many EU leaders in their individual capacities - when the UK has rejected the EU, why would they reject a supporter?

Uk as a whole? Funny how the narrative changes with the situation. So many remainders were bemoaning the plight of the Shetlands during the independence referendum, suggesting they should secede from Scotland were it to vote yes, yet now we must remain a fully UK entity?

Scotland is not dependent upon oil - it was never the backbone of our economy, even during the boom years when Thatcher wasted it to support her divisive agenda.

Scotland already has a currency - the pound sterling.

We are all entitled to our points of view. That yours and mine differ does not mean that I will stoop to labelling you an idiot. Please do not debase the discussion with petty insults.

You need to stop spreading falsehoods

1) Brussels decisions went with UK point of you 87% of the time. What was forced through by Brussels against your opinion?

2) UK was 9th of 10 net contributors as proportion of net GDP per head. What are you basing your your opinion on? We paid more than Netherlands? They paid most according to GDP - head

Main reason most Scots would prefer to remain and if necessary break with England is because the outlook there is much closer to Northern Europe than the increasingly nasty right wing UKIP Neo-con Anglo/American outlook.

I am also 50% Scot.

1) Brussels decisions went with UK point of you 87% of the time. What was forced through by Brussels against your opinion?

2) UK was 9th of 10 net contributors as proportion of net GDP per head. What are you basing your your opinion on? We paid more than Netherlands? They paid most according to GDP - head

Main reason most Scots would prefer to remain and if necessary break with England is because the outlook there is much closer to Northern Europe than the increasingly nasty right wing UKIP Neo-con Anglo/American outlook.

I am also 50% Scot.

Not really got time for googlin. But net per head sounds like a bit of spin. I'm sure we contributed a lot more than everyone except maybe Germany and France. Oh yeh the vaccuum cleaners annoyed me quite a bit, much preferred over 2000 watts of power, oh and wonky shaped bananas, Mmmmm taste so much sweeter,shame we can't have them anymore....thanks Brussels.

Oh and I'm sure getting closer to all the bombings and murder from terrorists and failed asylum seekers is all what we scots need. We have history like most but I'd rather be closer to our English,Welsh,northern Ireland friends than those looney far left tw#ts in Europe.

I am also 50% Scot.

Not really got time for googlin. But net per head sounds like a bit of spin. I'm sure we contributed a lot more than everyone except maybe Germany and France. Oh yeh the vaccuum cleaners annoyed me quite a bit, much preferred over 2000 watts of power, oh and wonky shaped bananas, Mmmmm taste so much sweeter,shame we can't have them anymore....thanks Brussels.

Oh and I'm sure getting closer to all the bombings and murder from terrorists and failed asylum seekers is all what we scots need. We have history like most but I'd rather be closer to our English,Welsh,northern Ireland friends than those looney far left tw#ts in Europe.