Australia PM calls investigation into juvenile 'torture'

webfact

Australia PM calls investigation into juvenile 'torture'

CANBERRA: -- Australia's prime minister has called a royal commission after a report showed prison guards assaulting teenage boys in juvenile detention.

The Four Corners program showed footage of teenage offenders stripped naked, assaulted and tear gassed.

One of the boys was hooded and cuffed to a mechanical restraint chair wearing a "spit hood".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36880860

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-07-26

Why would a juvenile be forced to wear a 'spit hood'? Not that hard to work out, is it.

Look at the footage: it's a national disgrace. These people belong in prison rather than being employed as carers. Scandalous. Bullies and thugs posing as professionals. Bring on the Royal Commission!

Why would a juvenile be forced to wear a 'spit hood'? Not that hard to work out, is it.

Look at the footage: it's a national disgrace. These people belong in prison rather than being employed as carers. Scandalous. Bullies and thugs posing as professionals. Bring on the Royal Commission!

yes.......heads need to roll..!!!.........On each other hopefully

From what I have heard it is an absolute disgrace. A young child tortured.

I cannot watch children being mistreated in any way. It effects me deeply and I find it difficult to control my anger.

A Royal Commission my ass. I would expect the resignation of the State Minister the Police commissioner and the Correctons officer within the hour and the arrest of each person involved including those who covered up the evidence.

I guarantee you Attorney General Brandis will set the 'terms of reference' to ensure not one person is punished for torturing, not just this one young boy but the many they tortured.

I cannot watch children being mistreated in any way. It effects me deeply and I find it difficult to control my anger.

A Royal Commission my ass. I would expect the resignation of the State Minister the Police commissioner and the Correctons officer within the hour and the arrest of each person involved including those who covered up the evidence.

I guarantee you Attorney General Brandis will set the 'terms of reference' to ensure not one person is punished for torturing, not just this one young boy but the many they tortured.

The person pictured looks more like a young adult than "a young child" or a "young boy". His presence in a juvenile detention facility suggests to me a history of serious or violent offense, because children are not incarcerated for misdemeanors. The wearing of a spit hood suggests that his conduct there has not been exemplary.

But let's assume he is actually a sweet innocent young child who just happens to enjoy spitting on or otherwise assaulting those entrusted with his care. What would you do with him?

It needs greater contemplation of that which societies have endorsed as "justice' without anything more than naive trust in that which they assume they have endorsed is actually justice or even appropriate.

Juvenile detention that incorporates such gross abuses is almost a guarantee that the victims would eventually aspire to a career in "justice'. And in that adoption of that may even become fellow Prison "Guards" instead of becoming hardened thugs.

Is there a difference we are supposed to spot?

The person pictured looks more like a young adult than "a young child" or a "young boy". His presence in a juvenile detention facility suggests to me a history of serious or violent offense, because children are not incarcerated for misdemeanors. The wearing of a spit hood suggests that his conduct there has not been exemplary.

But let's assume he is actually a sweet innocent young child who just happens to enjoy spitting on or otherwise assaulting those entrusted with his care. What would you do with him?

As you say yourself 'let's assume', but of course you have to assume in order to justify the conclusions you wish to come to.

How about, let's wait and see what the investigation reveals and recommends rather than submit to your rabid rantings on the matter.