July 26, 201610 yr Hi, new to the forum but not new to Thailand, was hoping for some advice regarding my situation. I'm currently employed and have a valid one year business visa and work permit. I am in the proceeds of changing job, where I will go to a new company which will provide me with a new work permit. Problem is I don't really want to let my current employer know this, for fear of being sacked. To my knowledge, when I resign from my current company, they will notify the labour dept and this immediately cancels out my current visa and WP. I think I can apply that same day for a 7 day extension and the same day, should ensure my new employer applies for my new work permit. I've heard the new WP can take much longer than the 7 days I will have but I do not want to leave the country. Is there any way around this? Or any other advice anyone can give regarding changing legitimate jobs and the transition being smooth? I think I probably need to discuss this with my current employer to make the changeover easier but fear it will end badly. Thanks for any help/advice in advance.
July 26, 201610 yr With ”one year business visa", do you mean a non-immigrant visa category B valid for multiple entries? The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place
July 26, 201610 yr Author With one year business visa", do you mean a non-immigrant visa category B valid for multiple entries? Hi, I mean a non-immigrant visa cat B single entry. Not multiple entry. Valid for 1 year and do my 90 day reporting.
July 26, 201610 yr In that case, I do not know the answer to your question. Hopefully, somebody else will. The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place
July 27, 201610 yr I think it would be worth visiting the Ministry of Labour and asking them for advice. They are very helpful. I've always flown out and got a new Non Imm B visa then had 90 days on return to get the work permit issued and apply for my 1 year extension of stay. Even doing something straightforward like adding a new place of work to a work permit takes about 3 days at the minute.
July 27, 201610 yr When the work permit is cancelled there is no automatic cancellation of the extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon working done at immigration. The cancellation has to be done by you by presenting a letter from your employer stating your last day of work. If you go to immigration a few days before the date on the letter immigration will post date the cancellation to that date which would allow you time to leave the coutnry. Your new employer can apply for your work permit but it will not be issued until your current one is canceled. With a work permit application approval letter and paper work from your new employer it possible to have your current extension cancelled (letter from current employer is needed) and then apply for new one.
Create an account or sign in to comment