Changing to Non O Immigrant Visa from a METV , Urgent Help Needed

Need Urgent help and Guidance !! Thank you in advance :)

I am an USA Citizen and have been in Thailand since March 11, 2016 on a METV [ enter before date is Sep 2 ] .
I have decided to retire in Thailand.
I am 50+ years old and can meet the necessary income requirements easily.
Can someone based on "real" experience , please suggest an English speaking Visa Service or an English speaking Thai Lawyer that can help me to :
(i) change my status to Non O and (ii) then get me the 12 month Retirement extension.
I am willing to pay for professional services as I am feeling intimidated by the Thai Immigration/ Process involved
[please no smart comments from all DIY people. I accept the fact that I am not as smart as all the DIY type ] .
I would like to complete this process on or before Aug 19 .
Because , I "must" make an overseas trip on August 22 for 4-6 days .
I am Ready , Willing and Able (R.W.A) to move forward on this ASAP.
​I am very confused !!
Thanks in advance for all constructive help.

A non immigrant O visa allows a stay of 90 days and extensions are not normally available until at least 45 days into such a stay. Which does not meet your requirements for completion but there is no reason you could not travel on a re-entry permit to continue your 90 day stay after your trip.

You might want to indicate where you are in Thailand.

It would help to know where you are living in order to give you the best info.

What is your current admitted until date date shown on the entry stamp from your last entry.

You must have 15 days remaining on your current entry to apply for the non immigrant visa that will give you a 90 day entry.

You will not be able to apply for the one year extension before your planned trip since it cannot be done until the last 30 or 45 day at some offices of the 90 day entry. But you could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry that would keep the remainder it valid when your return from your trip.

• Like 1

A non immigrant O visa allows a stay of 90 days and extensions are not normally available until at least 45 days into such a stay. Which does not meet your requirements for completion but there is no reason you could not travel on a re-entry permit to continue your 90 day stay after your trip.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Ok, understood that this is 2 step process .

Can I obtain a multiple re-entry permit with the Non O Visa , so that during the 1st 90 days I can visit other countries and be back to Bangkok.

Sorry, I forgot to add I am currently living in Bangkok . I have a rental agreement with the condo owner.

It would help to know where you are living in order to give you the best info.

What is your current admitted until date date shown on the entry stamp from your last entry.

You must have 15 days remaining on your current entry to apply for the non immigrant visa that will give you a 90 day entry.

You will not be able to apply for the one year extension before your planned trip since it cannot be done until the last 30 or 45 day at some offices of the 90 day entry. But you could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry that would keep the remainder it valid when your return from your trip.

Sorry, I forgot to add I am currently living in Bangkok . I have a rental agreement with the condo owner.

The current admitted until date in the passport is 2 September 2016 from my last entry.

Can I obtain a multiple re-entry permit with the Non O Visa , so that during the 1st 90 days I can visit other countries and be back to Bangkok ?

Can I obtain a multiple re-entry permit with the Non O Visa , so that during the 1st 90 days I can visit other countries and be back to Bangkok.

You can get a re-entry permit but not sure you will need a multiple re-entry. The re-entry permit will only be valid for 90 days. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

The first thing you need to do is do a income affidavit at the US embassy in Bangkok to prove your income of 65k baht. You will need to make appointment to get it. Info is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/ Appointments here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

• Like 1

Yes you can buy single (more than once or multi re-entry permits for any permitted to stay period.

@lopburi3

Thanks again . I appreciate your attempt to help.

Ok, in that case I will choose the Multi entry for my ease .

Now : do you have any concrete/constructive guidance regarding the "most important" question of my post ?

{Can someone based on "real" experience , please suggest an English speaking Visa Service or an English speaking Thai Lawyer that can help me to :

(i) change my status to Non O and (ii) then get me the 12 month Retirement extension.

You can get a re-entry permit but not sure you will need a multiple re-entry. The re-entry permit will only be valid for 90 days. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht and a multiple 3800 baht.

The firs thing you need to do is do a income affidavit at the US embassy in Bangkok to prove your income of 65k baht. You will need to make appointment to get it. Info is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/ Appointments here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

@ Ubonjoe:

Thank you for your info about the costs of entry permits.

Appreciate the link to us embassy services for the income affidavit.

Can you please give me some guidance to my question in the post ---> [Can someone based on "real" experience , please suggest an English speaking Visa Service or an English speaking Thai Lawyer that can help me to :

As I said, I am more then happy to pay for professional services to get this change of Visa status done.
As mentioned on the post, I am not a Do it yourself type because I get "easily" confused .

Hi if you look at the top of your original post there is a link to a visa service. They do adds on here all the time link here

http://www.speedy-visa.com/

@ Deepinthailand :

Thank you. I will certainly contact them and hopefully they can give me an office appointment relatively quickly.

I have no clue, how long does it take immigration to complete this change of status ?

Must get this conversion completed by August 19 as stated in my post.

It would be great if there were other "credible Visa Services" providers that I can also contact !

There is no need for any such service and use of some can be a real danger as you need to know what you are getting is being done in a legal manner. You made it clear you do not want to here this so tried to avoid comment - but you called me and I have replied. Most people do not have real experience as it is not required if you meet the requirements and can do legally. After a review of your posts find you were talking the same retirement plans six months ago so not sure what happened then.

Hi if you look at the top of your original post there is a link to a visa service. They do adds on here all the time link here

@ Deepinthailand :

Thank you. I will certainly contact them and hopefully they can give me an office appointment relatively quickly.

I have no clue, how long does it take immigration to complete this change of status ?

It would be great if there were other "credible Visa Services" providers that I can also contact !

FYI that service is not a sponsor of the forum and just pays for Google ads that appear on the forum.

I suggest you find and agent that can help with the paper work and go with you when you apply for the visa and extension. Do not use one that states they will do it all for your.

Perhaps this one that is a sponsor: http://www.interactivethailand.com/

• Like 1

I can't recommend a legal/visa service, but here is a rough guide that might help you're understanding of the process.

You need to go through an admin process at the immigration office in Chaeng Wattana (CW), Bangkok, that converts your current Tourist Visa entry to a Non lmmigrant entry, after which you can apply for an extension of stay.

• You need at least 15 days of your current stay remaining.
  • The full process will take three visits to CW.
  • On the first visit you pay 2,000 baht for them to process an application for a non immigrant visa. You will need 800k in your Thai bank account on the day you apply, or a certified minimum income of 65K pm.
  • On the second visit, usually two weeks later, they will stamp a non 'O' visa in your passport that will immediately be used so they can also stamp a new 90 day permit to stay.
  • During the last 45 days of that 90 stay you go back to CW immigration office and apply for the extension of stay (1,900 baht). You will need to have had 800k in your Thai bank account for at least 60 days prior to the day you apply, or a certified minimum income of 65K pm.

As you have a visa valid until September 2nd I suggest you make your trip in August, and start the conversion/extension process when you return.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I can't recommend a legal/visa service, but here is a rough guide that might help you're understanding of the process.

You need to go through an admin process at the immigration office in Chaeng Wattana (CW), Bangkok, that converts your current Tourist Visa entry to a Non lmmigrant entry, after which you can apply for an extension of stay.

• On the first visit you pay 2,000 baht for them to process an application for a non immigrant visa. You will need 800k in your Thai bank account on the day you apply, or a certified minimum income of 65K pm.
  • On the second visit, usually two weeks later, they will stamp a non 'O' visa in your passport that will immediately be used so they can also stamp a new 90 day permit to stay.
  • During the last 45 days of that 90 stay you go back to CW immigration office and apply for the extension of stay (1,900 baht). You will need to have had 800k in your Thai bank account for at least 60 days prior to the day you apply, or a certified minimum income of 65K pm.

As you have a visa valid until September 2nd I suggest you make your trip in August, and start the conversion/extension process when you return.

@elviajero :

Thank you so much for the detailed briefings.

i, For the first visit :

(1) When can I make that visit to CW ? (ii) how may original copies of income affidavit do I need to bring ? (iii) Any other documents that I have to bring ? (photos, passport page copies etc).

Thanks again.

@ Deepinthailand :

FYI that service is not a sponsor of the forum and just pays for Google ads that appear on the forum.

I suggest you find and agent that can help with the paper work and go with you when you apply for the visa and extension. Do not use one that states they will do it all for your.

Perhaps this one that is a sponsor: http://www.interactivethailand.com/

@Deepinthailand

Thank you for taking the time to give guidance.

Duly noted and will follow up with these companies right away.

Its all very confusing . I am intimidated by this process and I get confused very easily .

@elviajero :

i, For the first visit :

(1) When can I make that visit to CW ? (ii) how may original copies of income affidavit do I need to bring ? (iii) Any other documents that I have to bring ? (photos, passport page copies etc).

Thanks again.

You can apply anytime as long as you have 15 days left of your permission to stay. But as I said I think it would be better to wait until you return from your trip in August. You could get to step 2 before leaving, but you don't have much time, and would need to buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) which seems pointless as you have a valid multiple entry visa. When you come back you will be granted a new 60 day stay and can apply immediately you return.

• You need to complete form TM.86
  • One 6 x 4 cm photo
  • Original income affidavit from the Embassy and a signed copy.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages; ID page, Visa, Entry stamp, departure card (TM.6).
  • They may ask for proof of where you live such as a rental agreement with a copy of the owners house book (Tabien Baan) and ID card attached.
  • 2,000 baht.
  • Forms can be downloaded here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

McWalden and Bailey law firm at One Pacific Place in Sukhumvit is quite interested in doing all sorts of visa work at reasonable rates. They might be another place to phone interview for what you need. Ask for Jean.

• Like 1

@elviajero :

i, For the first visit :

Thanks again.

You can apply anytime as long as you have 15 days left of your permission to stay. But as I said I think it would be better to wait until you return from your trip in August. You could get to step 2 before leaving, but you don't have much time, and would need to buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) which seems pointless as you have a valid multiple entry visa. When you come back you will be granted a new 60 day stay and can apply immediately you return.

• One 6 x 4 cm photo
  • Signed copies of your passport pages; ID page, Visa, Entry stamp, departure card (TM.6).
  • They may ask for proof of where you live such as a rental agreement with a copy of the owners house book (Tabien Baan) and ID card attached.
  • 2,000 baht.
  • Forms can be downloaded here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

" Original income affidavit from the Embassy and a signed copy."

Just to emphasize (for the O/P), for the conversion to a non-imm O visa entry they will accept a signed copy of the embassy affidavit (bring along the original for them to look at), but you will need the original for when you do the extension based on retirement. For the extension, the affidavit can be up to 6 months old. You will need a new one each year you renew the extension OR you can keep at least Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank for at least three months before subsequent extensions.

Even if you use an agent, things like getting the income affidavit will need to be done by you. Anyone who promises they can do everything for you is probably cutting corners in a way that could cause problems later on.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Here is a recommendation for an attorney that fits your criteria. His firm has served me very well over the years. He's also an American and his office is in Bangkok. As well, the services are very reasonable and a straight up guy to do business with.

White & Weber Ltd. White & Weber Ltd. White & Weber
Attorneys at Law Attorneys at Law Attorneys at Law
140/36 Silom Road 67 Nguyen Thi Minh Kai 7777 Bonhomme, Ste. 2250
ITF Tower, 17th Floor 7th Floor, Suite 702 The Sevens Building, 22nd Fl.
Bangrak, Bangkok 10500 District 1, HCMC St. Louis, MO 63105
Thailand Vietnam USA
<contact member for phone/fax numbers>

Best of Luck to you!

Edited by ubonjoe
removed phone number (forum rule)

@elviajero :

i, For the first visit :

Thanks again.

• One 6 x 4 cm photo
  • 2,000 baht.

Thank you so kindly.

All suggestions duly noted.

God Bless .

YOu can do it all online with the Siamese Visa Service ( www.siamese-visa.com/ ). Speak English well, communicate via Whatsapp and email. Was easy.

@ Enigmatist

Thank you kindly for reaching out to help me solve this.

I appreciate you.

Did you avail their services ? Was it speedy and satisfactory to you ?

God Bless

McWalden and Bailey law firm at One Pacific Place in Sukhumvit is quite interested in doing all sorts of visa work at reasonable rates. They might be another place to phone interview for what you need. Ask for Jean.

@Enzian : Thank you for reaching out. God Bless.