Bank account

philcon

Hi, I want to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank in Chaing Mai,

I have my Aussie passport with 30 day stay. (visa exempt)

I have read it's not a big deal anymore but if anyone has had a good experience with a particular branch that would be good to know.

I understand that some branches are easier than others.

Thanks for any tips.

The branch in KSK is the one everyone raves about, good English and shouldn't be a problem.

Other branches will insist that you have a Thai person with you for verification (they sign a document to confirm that you are who you say you are sort of thing), if you have someone Thai with you any of the branches should be fine, I opened mine at the Chang Mai Gate branch.

Here is what you need, from the Bangkok Bank website:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

1. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
    • Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the
      relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
      funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
      • Embassy or international organization
      • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
      • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
      • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
      • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a
condominium

Recently, even the foreigner-friendly Kad Suan Kaew mall branch of Bangkok Bank has been asking for documentation for their file as outlined above. So, if you know someone local who can "vouch" for you -- either Thai or foreign you may consider bringing them along. Also they will want to see proof of where you live and may ask for Cert. of Residency from Immigration. Really depends on how you present yourself and your story about why you want to open a bank account.