Bicycle lanes in Bangkok - good idea or dead in the water?

webfact

Bicycle lanes in Bangkok - good idea or dead in the water?

p3.jpg
Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- The much trumpeted bicycle lanes of Bangkok may be scrapped as usage is minimal and budgets for maintenance cannot be justified.

The lanes were introduced after Governor Sukhumphand proposed their introduction in a fanfare of publicity for his election campaign, reported tnamcot. He proposed turning Bangkok into a "city of happiness" with people happily going about their business on bicycles.

Some 54 lanes were introduced covering 364 kilometers of the capital.

But few people use them and budgets are running out. Fifty four million baht was spent on their maintenance in the last two years alone and that was almost 30 million on just two of the lanes. Many people don't even know that the lanes exist.

Now a committee is set to report to the BMA on whether they can be justified and if they should be scrapped.

A Thai reporting team went to the Wong Wian Yai area of Thonburi to find out for themselves.

They had to wait an hour until they found someone on a bike daring to use the lane. Cars were parked illegally on the lanes everywhere and delivery vehicles just used them as a convenient place to stop.

If anyone was using them they would be forced to veer out into traffic defeating the purpose.

Furthermore, reporters found there was no connection between the lanes on main roads and subsidiary roads making their use difficult and inconvenient.

The BMA will be presented with the committee's report early next month and will decide on the future of the bike lanes.

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-28

Bike lane project in Bangkok in trouble after OAG says it is unworthy

672_Bike-Lane-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Auditor General of Thailand has formally requested the City Council to closely monitor the construction of bike lanes by the City Administration or Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) after finding that the 40 million baht budget it spent to improve six bike lanes covering a total distance of 55 kilometres in Fiscal 2014-2015 was unworthy as daily use of the lanes was less than 10 bikers.

The OAG urged the City Council to stop giving approval of budget to the BMW for the bike lane improvement on two routes, one around the Rattanakosin Island Route covering 12 roads, and another the Wong Wien Yai Route covering four roads.

The OAG said it has inspected the two routes where bike lanes were built and improved proved to be useless.

The request came about after complaints were received claiming that the two routes did not work and was a waste of funds and had low utility.

It asked that BMA to make a report on its cost effectiveness.

Complaints include vehicles parking directly on these bike lanes on both the left hand and right hand lanes all along the Wong Wien Yai Route, particularly on Lad Ya road.

As such bicyclists cannot cycle conveniently or in relative safety.

Beside bike lanes here are not all connected with many breaks particularly at secondary and main road junctions.

This makes cycling along the bike lanes here a rather haphazard if not dangerous.

Meanwhile at the Rattanakosin Island Route, although it is very well designed with bollards separating automobile lanes from bike lanes, but there was no strict enforcement of law in case of irresponsible parking.

Many motorists irresponsibly park their vehicles on these lanes which forces bicyclists to seek out other locations that are both safer and free of interruption from other vehicles.

Meanwhile City Council president Pol Sub Lt Kriengsak Lohachala said as the council was asked to report on developments regarding the bike lane project, it therefore has to have answers to the OAG to show clearly where all the funding go so that the project is allowed to proceed.

He said the questions raised by the OAG reasonable especially with regards to the design of the lanes which are supposed to be exclusively for bicyclists.

But due to poor design – or lack of forethought; this has proven to be otherwise, he said.

He said the City Council will assign a team to personally inspect these bike lanes for themselves next month.

Their main focus will be to see if these lanes have created any inconveniences to residents located along its route as well as determining if they are of any use to bicyclists.

Upon completion of the inspection, a decision will made to either scrap the entire project and divert the funds to other more practical projects or make modifications to improve its utility.

As of the present, the BMA has constructed altogether 54 bike routes throughout the capital. They encompass a total distance of more than 364 kilometres.

During the past 2 years, the BMA have spent more than 54 million for their upkeep.

But only the two routes, Rattanakosin and WongbWien Yai accounted for almost 30 million baht in renovation costs raising questions over the cost effectiveness and practicality of the project.

The bike lane was a major policy of the Bangkok governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra when he campaigned for election.

During the campaign, he pledged to make Bangkok a happy city with convenient travel for all its residents, particularly bike lanes.

But now, his dream might run into a stumbling block after the OAG’s survey and finding with recommendation to the City Council to review the bike lane project of the BMW in the 2017 budget scrutiny.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bike-lane-project-bangkok-trouble-oag-says-unworthy/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-28

I ride on the road, as the design of these bike lanes is dangerous, and then you have motorcycles riding the wrong way down them, cars and trucks parking and blocking the way.

Good idea in principle, but crap in its execution.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good idea....but unlikely to happen.

The real reason is that in Thailand a wealthy clique of businessmen controls the use of land, especially such land near the river.

Such land is prime real estate....and it will make money for these wealthy businessmen.

Making money is their prime concern, and they have no land or time to waste for making Thais "happy', no profit there.

I could have some fun, with my over-sized recumbent trike - barrelling down that path - flinging rangadanga step-throughs flat that get in my way

With my trike at 1.1 metres wide, 2.9 M long, there's no room for a little m'bike, than to skidattle back onto the roadlane.

but the brainless twerps who back down, are basically banning the bike,

much like what happened down in malaysia, when bicycle-pushing farmers randomly wandered across the Expressway 1, into the path of traffic- splat!!

What did the legislators do?? ban all bicycles from the entire road, from Singapore right thru to LOS border

Don't give in to the motorcycle

Bicycle lanes in Bangkok, - good idea or dead in the water?

Yes, and sadly, yes.

Recently got back from a visit to China (of all places) where I thoroughly enjoyed getting around a city of 10 million on an E-Bike without once sharing the bike lane with a moving vehicle. Some idiots parked and standing still- sure. But even then, the next lane over became the bike lane for 50 meters or so. As long as I watched for drivers making right turns on red without looking, I never felt in any danger.

And as bad as the roads and drivers are in China, Thai drivers and road designers should hang their heads in collective shame if they can't do even better.

You can drive around BKK all day and you hardly will see anyone riding a bicycle, BKK traffic conditions

are not suited for such activates as the heat, fumes and the fairly good chance of being rear ended by

a motorist on his/her cell phones is highly probable, so sane people stay away from gambling with their lives......

Edited by ezzra

Bike lanes that separate cyclists from the hazards of motorised road-users are a very good idea. They must, however, be kept free of rubbish, vendors, parked cars and all other forms of obstruction - and this is where the noble concept had died in the water. The old chestnut that Bangkok is too hot for cycling is a myth. Suitably dressed cyclists, when riding along a properly-maintained cycle-lane, should be able to move without difficulty at a speed sufficient to create a cooling breeze.

Edited by freebornjohn

I can never understand the mindset of people who Cycle in Bangkok; the climate and pollution alone must surely be a major, possibly life threatening problem.

That said I certainly condemn the BMA and others who cordon off what could be useful road space in an already crowded traffic environment to accommodate these people.

What on earth are you trying to demonstrate?

A more "energy efficient" way to get to work?

Great in principle - until you arrive at the Office sweating and stinking of traffic fumes then, I guess, expect your Company to provide shower and changing facilities to accommodate your strange fetish before you start work.

Just as an example. a couple of years ago I contracted with a Math teacher - a Farang - to tutor my son after school; he, the prospective teacher, lived in Lad Prao, we live in Asoke. The first day the fool arrived he had obviously decided to Cycle from his home to mine. He stank to high heaven and I refused him access to my home.and cancelled the agreement.

What are these people thinking of if they imagine turning up for work in this state is in any way acceptable, and why do they imagine that whole sections of roads in Bangkok should be given over to their minority hobby??

\

Patrick

I can never understand the mindset of people who Cycle in Bangkok; the climate and pollution alone must surely be a major, possibly life threatening problem.

That said I certainly condemn the BMA and others who cordon off what could be useful road space in an already crowded traffic environment to accommodate these people.

Great in principle - until you arrive at the Office sweating and stinking of traffic fumes then, I guess, expect your Company to provide shower and changing facilities to accommodate your strange fetish before you start work.

Just as an example. a couple of years ago I contracted with a Math teacher - a Farang - to tutor my son after school; he, the prospective teacher, lived in Lad Prao, we live in Asoke. The first day the fool arrived he had obviously decided to Cycle from his home to mine. He stank to high heaven and I refused him access to my home.and cancelled the agreement.

What are these people thinking of if they imagine turning up for work in this state is in any way acceptable, and why do they imagine that whole sections of roads in Bangkok should be given over to their minority hobby??

\

Patrick

I guess your post says more about you, than any cyclist.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Teach the public the hard way. Lock-up the motorbikes and put tire clamps on vehicles parked in the lane. Its bad enough you can't walk on a sidewalk without every street in the world doing business, Thailand will never be a world class city, the people don't believe in rules of life.

Teach the public the hard way. Lock-up the motorbikes and put tire clamps on vehicles parked in the lane. Its bad enough you can't walk on a sidewalk without every street in the world doing business, Thailand will never be a world class city, the people don't believe in rules of life.

Remove and crush anything in a bike lane that isn't a bicycle and the concept would work.

As it stands they are just space for parking and street vendors.

Good idea....but unlikely to happen.

The real reason is that in Thailand a wealthy clique of businessmen controls the use of land, especially such land near the river.

Such land is prime real estate....and it will make money for these wealthy businessmen.

Making money is their prime concern, and they have no land or time to waste for making Thais "happy', no profit there.

Those businessmen are the ones who ride expensive bicycles at night, that's why they needed the bikelane!

They all bike in the moobaans but that's boring after a while so they want to go further in groups. That's why BKK is also developing a huge biketrack along the river on a dyke, don't hear about that anymore lately though.

That land will even make more money with a good developed bike/walk lane along the river for several km. It will be the best spot of the whole city when it's all finished with great views.

It's the same reason why houses in moobaans are expensive, you pay for the common parks and sportsclub/swimmingpools. And guess what? Thai all love to live in a moobaan, at dusk and dawn they all go out for a walk or even a run.

\

Patrick

There are a hundred reasons why cycling and cycle lanes are good......none of which would ever make sense to you

I don't see it.Motorcycles,perdestrias and others will use it if they can.It's A good idea but I don't see it happening.Most roads in Bangkok it's crowded now.Unless your on country roads bicycles aren't A good idea in Thailand.Motorcycles either.Will eventually

Get ran over.

"Rules of the road" that are more ingrained in some cultures than here are what allow bike paths to function in some countries, not so well in others.
I too experienced joy bicycling in China, though I have not been there recently. Some cities in Europe also have a thriving bike culture. Even the USA has cities where it works (and many others where it fails.) Bicycling along and having the path end abruptly because of construction, or trucks making deliveries - total disaster for the cyclist, and surprise hazard for motorists suddenly overtaking bicyclists.

Bicycling the back roads of our rural area was once both good exercise and scenic. Each year the number of trucks barreling along on a road just barely fit for two cars or small pickup trucks to pass becomes more dangerous. These roads now have bigger trucks hauling landfill or stone, and in harvest season they are used by double trailer rigs collecting corn... and that is especially hazardous when a tree and bush lined area makes it impossible to see oncoming vehicles.

Riding the dirt roads into and along the farm fields is a partial solution since they usually dead end (and they are impassible in the rainy season.) Sad truth, even in our rural area, the "safe" bike routes are becoming few. It is often risky just getting to the nearby market and back. Earlier this week I accepted the growing advice and bought a stationary bike that is now parked in a room where I can watch video instead of watching out for trucks.

\

Patrick

I agree that nobody wants to have smelly personell but what are the Thai (and you included) thinking about western teachers in Thailand?

Most get 30k baht a month MAX and having a car with that salary is almost impossible or one would have to live in a shoebox somewhere.

So the only option is a motorcycle (or public transport/taxi) which is very dangerous.

Also i heard that not all Thai schools have airconditioning, well how can a western teacher work in that? It beats me.

The only good solution for BKK is to have perfect public transport with aircon. But recently they are building such long skytrainlines that after an hour standing in a full train people also won't be fresh anymore.

Best would be to have all big companies and malls connected to skytrain/subway stations.

"...bicycle lanes of Bangkok may be scrapped as usage is minimal..."

"...few people use them..."

"Many people don't even know that the lanes exist."
"A Thai reporting team went to the Wong Wian Yai area of Thonburi to find out for themselves.
They had to wait an hour until they found someone on a bike..."

Those quotes from the article show that there is simply not enough demand to justify the existence of bike lanes in Bangkok, if the demand was there would be a lot more cyclists in evidence.

The presence of enough cyclists using the lanes as they were intended to be used would discourage motorists from parking there and vendors from using them as business premises. As things stand now, apart from the odd cyclist that does occasionally use them, the lanes are redundant space and may as well be used for parking, deliveries etc.