Prayuth says tap water tastes just like bottled water, drinks it for cameras

webfact

Dude's spends way too much time in BKK or in limos. He obviously hasn't drank the 'tap water' in our village. This time of year it's a nice, brown "run-off" color. Sometimes he's as entertaining as a John Daly.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been drinking the tap water since I moved here (San Sai, Chiang Mai).

Filter then drink, same as I do in London, never any problems.

Yes. The keyword in your sentence is filter then drink. What Prayut is saying is straight out of the tap. Hmm....I got to question that because first of all I do not have high confidence in the Bangkok Waterworks. Secondly, I do not trust the piping system (rusty?) that these real estate developers put in. You know, bottom-line (greed and profit) is the only motto for these developers.

Unless you can support your opinion that there is a problem with the BKK Waterworks then it is just more of the uneducated opinions that General Prayuth is trying to educate.

I do not filter the water that I drink in BKK.

There are different types of filters and each works for a specific target.

The average single stage filter system found at a residence typically contains activated carbon and only improves taste. It does not filter out microbes.

Yes. The keyword in your sentence is filter then drink. What Prayut is saying is straight out of the tap. Hmm....I got to question that because first of all I do not have high confidence in the Bangkok Waterworks. Secondly, I do not trust the piping system (rusty?) that these real estate developers put in. You know, bottom-line (greed and profit) is the only motto for these developers.

Unless you can support your opinion that there is a problem with the BKK Waterworks then it is just more of the uneducated opinions that General Prayuth is trying to educate.

The average single stage filter system found at a residence typically contains activated carbon and only improves taste. It does not filter out microbes.

Well, I do not need to support it about Bangkok Waterworks nor the developers. You can go on with your "educated ways" and drink to your heart's content. I will stick to my "uneducated ways" of filtering out Bangkok tap water. I deeply believe this is a case of guilty until proven innocent.

Happy cancer!

"...Thailand’s tap water is proved by global organizations to be safe to drink..." - when tested at the Water Treatment Plant!

But, who tests it at the destination?

Several interesting links on the subject:

As for junta-head's comment that tap water tastes just like bottled water???

Well, I do not need to support it about Bangkok Waterworks nor the developers. You can go on with your "educated ways" and drink to your heart's content. I will stick to my "uneducated ways" of filtering out Bangkok tap water. I deeply believe this is a case of guilty until proven innocent.

Happy cancer!

Cancer?

From municipal water?

I am guessing you majored in Drama and not engineering or medicine.

Nothing wrong with a home filter but the majority of them just filter out bad odor and taste ;-)

They do not remove anything that would caise cancer...

The two women on the right of the picture... and their warm smiles for their Prime Minister who shows them the way.

They smile because they know what will happen in about 20 minutes!

PS. I urge all Bangkokians to test the "PM's" theory on the morning of the 7th of August...coffee1.gif

We found worms in our tap water. Extra protein? gigglem.gif

Worms?

How large?

Tap water or well water?

City water is filtered.

Water is filtered and chlorinated by the city. But not everything is filtered out. Impossible to filter out chemicals, which we all know get dumped into the waterways here and seep into the ground wells.

The big problem is the distribution system. A crack in the pipe will allow surrounding water to come into the line when the pressure gets low. That's nasty water! Another problem is your storage tank. Every looked into one that hasn't been cleaned for a few years. Yuck! bah.gif

The odds of you getting sick immediately are very rare. Who knows about the long term effects. It's especially worrisome for younger people.

easy for this to happen here:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/1840021/hong-kongs-lead-drinking-water-crisis-everything

Prayut is living in la-la land.
Saying tap water is safe to drink.

I invite him to visit our village, and pull the same stunt, he did for the cameras.

Most days you open the tap and brown sludge comes out for the first minute.

Recently my wife brought home 300 pla duk fingerlings, too many for the one tank.

I filled an empty tank from the mains, the smell of chlorine was very strong.

My rain water collection tanks were empty, so no water only from the mains.

Next morning over 200 fish dead.

The PM says this is safe for us to drinkcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Recently my wife brought home 300 pla duk fingerlings, too many for the one tank.

The PM says this is safe for us to drink:cheesy: cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The chemicals are supposed to kill small biological impurities. Your fish dying is a good sign.

Edited by MissAndry

Another of his dim and irrational suggestion. Water can be filtered in an ultra modern treatment plant but it's the delivery system that contaminates the water.The piping system in Thailand has not changed much especially in provinces. Unless we change all the piping system to corrosion free resistance pipes such as cement-lined-ductile iron pipes and copper pipes and have regular checks of all water tanks, he is sending out a wrong and dangerous message.

Another of his dim and irrational suggestion. Water can be filtered in an ultra modern treatment plant but it's the delivery system that contaminates the water.The piping system in Thailand has not changed much especially in provinces. Unless we change all the piping system to corrosion free resistance pipes such as cement-lined-ductile iron pipes and copper pipes and have regular checks of all water tanks, he is sending out a wrong and dangerous message.

Your post seems to that you disagree with him politically and this clouds your judgement in all things related to the good General.

Have you ever been sick from drinking tap water?

The PM says this is safe for us to drink:cheesy: cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The chemicals are supposed to kill small biological impurities. Your fish dying is a good sign.

You are spot on.

MissAndry should have allowed the water to sit for 24 hours before adding fish but the problem could also be that the fish suffocated from not enough oxygen since there were so many fish in such a small containment.

The two women on the right of the picture... and their warm smiles for their Prime Minister who shows them the way.

It's obligatory for a puu yai to have an entourage of smiling, adoring sycophants -- otherwise, how else would we know he is a genuine and much-loved and sexy-man puu yai?

Has anyone here actually gotten an infection or gotten sick from the tap water?

Please explain.

Otherwise all of you naysayers are living under the same misconceptions as the local community that the Good General is trying to correct.

Your post seems to that you disagree with him politically and this clouds your judgement in all things related to the good General.

Have I ever been sick drinking tap water? I don't know. I never drink directly from local tap water. I follow most external advises about drinking tap water in Thailand as a safeguard.

www.thailandguru-com/food-water.html

I praise you for taking on the junta PM's advise and drinking tap water. I wish you good health and hope you will not be affected by the bacteria from the pipes and heavy metals from the corroding steel pipes.

Have I ever been sick drinking tap water? I don't know. I never drink directly from local tap water. I follow most external advises about drinking tap water in Thailand as a safeguard.

www.thailandguru-com/food-water.html

I praise you for taking on the junta PM's advise and drinking tap water. I wish you good health and hope you will not be affected by the bacteria from the pipes and heavy metals from the corroding steel pipes.

Thanks.

Actually its nothing to do with the good Generals suggestion but rather that I have decades experience working in municipal water treatment plants. Its experience and education which forms my opinion rather than the unknown. In fairness to you and others without knowledge, I understand why you would err on the side of caution but to discredit the General in all matters for political reasons is in poor taste.

Interestingly enough, the water delivery systems in many Western cities are much older than those found in Thailand.

Edited by ClutchClark

What in the hell is wrong with this guy?

Thailand's water delivery system is not some universal, utopian standard. He knows that, so to make a blanket statement like this, without further qualification or caveats, is so irresponsible as to be criminal. He's lost the plot and is starting to sound like the boy wonder over in N. Korea, blathering nonsensical, nationalistic propaganda.

Well those who are happy with drinking water from tap go ahead where l live it has to be filtered, straight from tap has a drain type of smell.

When l clean the filters, whats cleaned out l would not like in my tum tum. laugh.pngblink.png

Maybe in Bangkok city its OK.

But here in Chiang Mai, out in the villages, its not

I have 'city water' pumped from the village well to our house. Many months of the year is off as not enough in the well.

When it is running it changes in appearance and smell often. Sometime clear and clean, other times grey or tinted yellow with lots of black particles in it.

As another poster says, pipes are often cracked or not joined together properly, allowing soil dirt and run off water from the roads and ditches to enter it.

Out water meter blocked up. When taken apart to clean lots of smelly slime poured out onto the ground. I would never drink this water, it even stained out white clothes brown.

Telling everyone to drink the tap water as a blanket statement regardless of where they live seems a bit risky.

And what did the locals do before bottled water?

You are an unwitting victim to a highly successful marketing campaign by commercial bottled water corporations.

So far no one here has spoken of getting sick on local tap water.

Maybe in Bangkok city its OK.

But here in Chiang Mai, out in the villages, its not

I have 'city water' pumped from the village well to our house. Many months of the year is off as not enough in the well.

When it is running it changes in appearance and smell often. Sometime clear and clean, other times grey or tinted yellow with lots of black particles in it.

As another poster says, pipes are often cracked or not joined together properly, allowing soil dirt and run off water from the roads and ditches to enter it.

Out water meter blocked up. When taken apart to clean lots of smelly slime poured out onto the ground. I would never drink this water, it even stained out white clothes brown.

Telling everyone to drink the tap water as a blanket statement regardless of where they live seems a bit risky.

Sounds like high iron content.

Not dangerous to consume--just unpleasant.

And what did the locals do before bottled water?

You are an unwitting victim to a highly successful marketing campaign by commercial bottled water corporations.

So far no one here has spoken of getting sick on local tap water.

You did read my last link, right?

Seriously, I don't know of any that drink tap water unless they boil or filter it. Or both. I've seen worms floating around in the water. We get brown water on a regular basis here. Impossible to drink.

Again, read the last link. An interesting article on bottled water. It's not perfect either!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/385634-bottled-water-is-it-safe/#entry3768711

Thirsty folk: the average Thai downs 118 litres of bottled water each year

Thailand is Southeast Asia’s biggest consumer of bottled water, but is our choice of brand really a matter of taste?

A few months ago I was dining at Breeze, the vertiginous Chinese fusion restaurant projecting from Lebua Bangkok’s 52nd floor, when my host inquired what I thought of the water we had been served.