English bar blocks cell phones, tries to get patrons talking 

webfact

English bar blocks cell phones, tries to get patrons talking 

LONDON (AP) — A new English cocktail bar offers something truly old-fashioned on its menu: the chance to talk to real people instead of staring down your cell phone.

The Gin Tub in Brighton has won rave reviews in its first week of business by installing a cell signal blocker and placing throwback rotary phones at its tables. They can be used to dial patrons at neighboring tables or the bar for another round.

The Gin Tub is reckoned to be the only British pub blocking cell phones by using a Faraday shield built into its ceiling, an exception in Britain's 2006 Wireless Telegraphy Act that otherwise outlaws the use of signal blockers.

Proprietor Steve Tyler says: "Mobile phones have killed pubs. When you go out socially, you don't need social media."

-- AP 2016-08-01

The London pubs I have been in the problem is being able to talk. The music is usually deafening so that its impossible to carry out a normal conversation. I was told they don't want people to talk just drink. I think that also applies to Bangkok.

26 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

There was a place in London, Casper's I think, was doing this back in the early 90's. A pick up place for shy people. :)

Good memory. There was one in St. Annes Court in Soho and one in Mayfair.:-)

I went to pickup bar like this in Montreal Quebec back in 1986. Phone at each table and you could call another table. The phone at our table rang many times with a sexy sounding girl on the other end. Looking around couldn't see who was calling though and they never presented themselves. Not being able to speak French didn't help either. Those were fun times.

12 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

people are addicted to their smart phones. wonder how this will work out. 

Well you guys will hate me for that but I hope they stop the nonsense 

Pokemon go crap, people getting killed using that s555it  parks getting 

ruined by people walking all over flowers and fauna but then again 

money talks 

I hate to admit it, but when I was 18, ** years ago, there was a similar pub in Blackheath, South East London (The Royal Standard).  The table phones made that pub; packed every night, full of teenagers (Over 18, of course!) on a night out.  So, the idea isn't exactly new.  We didn't have cell phones in those days, but a good idea now; you can't even walk along the street now without somebody glued to their cell phone bumping into you!

MANY years ago back in the UK there were three young girls walking next to each other, but all talking into their 'phones :D.

Made me laugh then (in slightly suprised amazement), but its even funnier now when most have their noses stuck into their 'phones in any 'sitting down' situation.

Its funny, until you're talking to someone and they can't ignore the (unimportant) 'phone call - which is downright rude in my book.  And before anyone says that its 'cos I'm boring - friends can easily just leave if they're bored.

5 hours ago, huahinjoe said:

There is definitely a market for this, guess for those who tired the people constantly sucked into their phones around them there is a portable mobile jammer can block other phones out of a 10m radius hehe

http://www.jammerfromchina.com/products/_Mini_Handheld_Mobile_Phone_and_GPS_Signal_Jammer.html

'Not legal in most places I don't think.  'Read a news story awhile back about a guy in the states who was using one regularly (and covertly) on his daily train commute 'cause he was sick of having to listen to everyone's phone conversations.   Passengers complaining about the mysterious outages eventually got the authorities (the Feds I think) investigating and the guy was sniffed out.  I used to see these being sold here in Thailand at kiosks in the malls; I presume they're still easy to come by.  I'm sure Customs would confiscate it if found when returning to the states.  I'm guessing other countries as well.

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

'Not legal in most places I don't think.  'Read a news story awhile back about a guy in the states who was using one regularly (and covertly) on his daily train commute 'cause he was sick of having to listen to everyone's phone conversations.   Passengers complaining about the mysterious outages eventually got the authorities (the Feds I think) investigating and the guy was sniffed out.  I used to see these being sold here in Thailand at kiosks in the malls; I presume they're still easy to come by.  I'm sure Customs would confiscate it if found when returning to the states.  I'm guessing other countries as well.

Earplugs backed-up with jet engine/shooting range sound blockers or noise-canceling headphones would have been cheaper and legal, though head-aching, alternatives.

I carry silicone earplugs with me at all times just in case I can't take it any more and still want to finish my meal. I rarely use them - just bolt down the food and make a speedy departure.

Edited by MaxYakov

On 8/1/2016 at 4:52 PM, pitrevie said:

The London pubs I have been in the problem is being able to talk. The music is usually deafening so that its impossible to carry out a normal conversation. I was told they don't want people to talk just drink. I think that also applies to Bangkok.

It's in Brighton, not that that is any quieter. :whistling:

They may be able to block calls, but the real issue for me is people with their heads in their phone playing games. Seeing a group of people at the same table all focused on their iPhone and not talking to each other is sad. Not just here, it happens all over.