Plane crash in East Bangkok kills 1, injures 4

snoop1130

Plane crash in East Bangkok kills 1, injures 4

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

1470045295_S__3260691.jpg

BANGKOK — A private airplane crashed on Monday afternoon near a temple in Nong Chok district, killing its captain.

The dead pilot is unidentified. Four people — three passengers and one bystander on the ground — were sent to a hospital.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2016/08/01/plane-crash-east-bangkok-kills-1-injures-4/

Pilot killed and four passengers and crew members injured

0108001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The pilot of a small propeller plane was killed and four crews and passengers were injured when the chartered flight crashed into a wooden bridge as it tried to make an emergency landing in a klong near Suvarnabhumi international airport Monday afternoon.

The identity of the pilot was not known at press time.

It was reported that the Piper Chieftain plane belonging to Thai Regional Airline, a chartered flight service provider, left Nakhon Ratchasima for Suvarnabhumi airport with some passengers.

As the plane was approaching the airport, it developed engine trouble and the pilot tried to make an emergency landing in a klong in the adjoining areas of Lat Krabang and Nong Chok.

However, as the plane was descending too fast, forcing the pilot unable to properly control the aircraft which crashed into a wooden bridge spanning across the klong.

The pilot was reportedly crushed to death in the cockpit while two crew members and two passengers were injured. All the injured and the dead pilot were later taken to Wechkaroonrat hospital for emergency treatment.

Two villagers who were at the crash site were slightly injured.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/174546-2/

-- ThaiPBS 2016-08-02

34 minutes ago, Quack said:

What a stupid comment. The pilot actually did incredibly well to avoid hitting any homes or killing his passengers. 

I do agree with Quack! Being a airline pilot myself, I can tell you that, when like here an engine failure occurs, the pilot has seconds to overvieuw his options and make his descision, and perform than his emergency procedures, beginning with trying to restart the failed engine. Allthough the piper chieftain is able to continue flying on one engine, it may be very challenging depending on the load of the aircraft, especially in these warm temperatures; The fact that he was aiming for a klong and could not reach it means that he was unable to keep the plane airborne. All you can do than is make the best of it...  which he surely did. Due to his actions, more casualties have been avoided.

3 hours ago, Quack said:

What a stupid comment. The pilot actually did incredibly well to avoid hitting any homes or killing his passengers. 

Why do the ignorant always have something idiotic to say that merely reinforces their prejudice and ignorance? To lose an engine on an approach is a very difficult situation to add to the work load of a landing. It has happened to me and I tell you it's damn scary! It also happened to my cousin on an approach to RAF Luqa in a Canberra. He avoided the nearby school and lost his life for his efforts.

Shamrock09 is absolutely right. Loss of total power on finals is incredibly difficult to deal with, and he did well to avoid any houses.

R.I.P the pilot.  An apology for such a senseless remark, at least to the dead man's family, would be in order, Kkup! May it never happen to you!

3 hours ago, nullx8 said:

actually its Rabbit Wings .. the Plane was Rebranded/Sold in 2014

after being grounded/parked for years

Hi nullx8------- being an ex aircraft engineer (airframe) myself,2 queries.

What's the reference to "Rabbit Wings" and what does "rebranding" mean----------- thank you

On 02/08/2016 at 3:35 AM, sahibji said:

terribly tragedy.

the pilot must be credited for his presence of mind to do 

manoeuvres to minimise loss to the aircraft and occupants 

and collateral damage on the ground.

Quite naturally the pilot will be doing the best to save his own bacon, so he will be aiming for the best option, unfortunately for him he was at the front of the plane and did not make it past the bridge.

On 02/08/2016 at 6:52 AM, elgordo38 said:

If the plane as one member states had been sitting idle for a number of years its air worthyness should be brought into question. I think in this case the usual human error aspect is definitely ruled out. 

Depends on how and where it was stored, and the service it had before being brought back into service, and as it has been flying for two years since then probably not the smoking gun, obviously the AAIC will be looking at the full service history of the plane.

On 02/08/2016 at 9:16 AM, nullx8 said:

actually its Rabbit Wings .. the Plane was Rebranded/Sold in 2014

after being grounded/parked for years

"... after being grounded/parked for years"

Say's who?...but what does it matter?    This flight obviously wasn't it's first since it was rebranded years ago.