Embarassing Things Westerners Do

eldragon

Some farangs came to our village and then told my Mother in law come with me to bum bum I give you 500 Baht. Since then I don't allow farangs that I don't know to come to my place. Most I have met is real trash and I prefer the company of Thai's.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, MobileContent said:

Some farangs came to our village and then told my Mother in law come with me to bum bum I give you 500 Baht. Since then I don't allow farangs that I don't know to come to my place. Most I have met is real trash and I prefer the company of Thai's.

OK :rolleyes:.

9 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I may be inclined to agree with you on a few points. but this is a tropical holiday destination. What you are describing is basically what people pack to wear on a tropical vacation.

And why do cargo shorts get such a bad rap. There are some good versions and some bad ones.

It's not as if the Thais generally dress any better and in addition how about Tuk Tuk drivers with their t-shirts pulled up to expose fat bellies.

9 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I may be inclined to agree with you on a few points. but this is a tropical holiday destination. What you are describing is basically what people pack to wear on a tropical vacation.

And why do cargo shorts get such a bad rap. There are some good versions and some bad ones.

No good versions of shorts, they all look awful on a grown man.

9 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Sure, if you're at the beach. But not in a nice restaurant in Bangkok, at an office, or in the supermarket.

We are usually so out of touch with each other, but I have to agree on this one.

Fancy meeting up for breakfast at the On nut Tesco Foodmart some morning?

1 hour ago, manarak said:

agree about the cargo shorts.

also, I can't think of anything else giving me enough pockets as this type of shorts do.

There is sometimes no other practical way to eliminate "bulging pockets." Everyone wears them, and for good reason. Carrying a reasonably presentable bag is also well-advised. As a decoy, if nothing else.

Yet another semi transparent dress thread. Come on people who cares people dress as they want there choice. So you don't like it tough it's not your decision. 

Now what really anoys me about anyone regardless of western/eastern/yank/Aussie69.  Is spitting filthy habit should be shot on the spot

9 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

There is sometimes no other practical way to eliminate "bulging pockets." Everyone wears them, and for good reason. Carrying a reasonably presentable bag is also well-advised. As a decoy, if nothing else.

Great for dog walking!  Pockets for treats/leads/tissues/cigs etc. etc. - and no chance of anyone finding them offensive as they're knee length :).

19 hours ago, johnnygimbo said:

Can you expand on that?

Well will try.

Filthy wife beaters- at one time used to be white- now grey and moth eaten.

Cargo pants- what on earth do you put in all those pockets ? 

Crocs- they must be the most ugly disgusting shoes on the planet. ( don't tell me they are super comfortable) 

Then you go out to a smart restaurant - guys wearing vest/ shorts- having your scallops with a lime, lemongrass foam- and whiffing a little body odour and armpit hair .

Usually the Thai girls or boys that these people are paying for are beautifully turned out. 

Day time- tailored shorts and Ralph Lauren- evening dress up.

Maybe I live in a different world - but then I'm a friend of Dorothy and we live a truly fabulous alternative lifestyle . 

1 hour ago, manarak said:

agree about the cargo shorts.

also, I can't think of anything else giving me enough pockets as this type of shorts do.

Yes, all my trousers have two pockets, then further down each leg, there are zipped pockets, I have a pair for every day of the week.

I bought them at one of the stalls on the pavement at lower Sukhumvit. They cost about 350 Bt per pair, and they wear very well.

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Is that guy with the cowboy hat and long white beard one of that American country/gospel vocal quartet The Oak Ridge Boys?

Possible - I thought it was one of the ZZ top guys given the car prop that they used.....

Wai ing those beneath them, looks ridiculous. Strutting along with a tattooed up bar girl looking like a mobile gold shop. Feeding soi dogs, why make a problem worse? Speaking Thai that they obviously picked up at bars and the dress thing, the cargo pants scruffs should be deported. 

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, all my trousers have two pockets, then further down each leg, there are zipped pockets, I have a pair for every day of the week.

I bought them at one of the stalls on the pavement at lower Sukhumvit. They cost about 350 Bt per pair, and they wear very well.

Yes - I have some 3/4 lengths that have the zipped pockets that are handy to wear out & about, found them online & they have more of a finished look to them = handy....

Brought 4 pair of really comfortable Union Bay cotton cargo shorts from the U.S. but they never unwrinkle - even ironed out - so only wear them when I'm not going to be seen.....

19 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yet another semi transparent dress thread. Come on people who cares people dress as they want there choice. So you don't like it tough it's not your decision. 

Now what really anoys me about anyone regardless of western/eastern/yank/Aussie69.  Is spitting filthy habit should be shot on the spot

I agree in principal. However, when in Rome... or anyplace else for that matter, a sense of local decorum should at least be a consideration. My comments in this regard are for they who are, like I once was, still 'on the fence.' An attempt to 'cull the herd,' if you will.

Edited by Songlaw

I wear cargo shorts and precious little else at home, add sandals and a polo for shopping or when we have visitors (Thaivisa members may not be treated to the polo).

Work is chinos, polo, site boots, hi-viz, hard hat.

Even for business meetings with senior government officials, (if the public don't attend) it's chinos, short sleeve shirt (or decent polo), shoes with socks. I long ago learned to dress like the chaps I'm meeting, you feel a bit overdressed suited and booted when the chairman of SRT, BTSC or MRTA has on his polo and jeans.

Of course, for the public stuff the suit and tie comes out (and usually needs letting out) :(

A Thai who is off duty wears terrible clothes, something like soccershirts and cheap shorts with flipflops. In weekends they even wear that to malls or whereever they go.

What makes me feel very embarassed is a westerner on a bicycle trying to move it's way between all the taxi's and minivans. Or Westerners in BKK driving motobike without helmet.

The most embarrassing thing w.as at a BBQ in Pattaya,we were sharing a table with an American couple and a couple of Aussie guys.
One of the Aussie guys let off a very audible fart,after chugging a large beer.The American guy was visibly angered and said to the Aussie,"how dare you fart in front of my wife" the Aussie quickly replied,"sorry mate,i didnt know it was her turn"

I once saw a female farang toutist riding on a bus in Bangkok. She wore a dress that showed her shoulders and her upper back.
She must have spent some time on the beach because she had a  severe case of sunburn and the skin was litterly peeling off her shoulders and back in strips and patches.
During the buss ride she occasionaily reached back and pulled another strip of skin off her sunburned back...disgusting.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Be that as it may, its rare to see Thai or Westerner males in trousers when not in a business type situation.

Seriously?

There are Thai people wearing trousers all over the place around here.

52 minutes ago, transam said:

And you wear....?

I notice you look for bra strap locations and socks...Is this a fetish or you are a fashion designer looking for inspiration...Tell all...?

I wear none of the above. 

They seek me here. They seek me there...