Hard Rock Cafe coming to Chiang Mai

Chiengmaijoe

it will be in the Night bazaar, in what was Hofbrauhaus, next to The Red Lion. Work has started today, but no idea as to what their opening date will be. Presumably the target will be High-season Nov or Dec. Maybe unrelated, but the stalls along that part of Loi Kroh have been notified that they won't be able to trade after the 12th August - big Traffic Police notices confirm this.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember going to the "Hard Rock Cafe" in Patong Beach, Phuket in 1987? i remember when the songtaew dropped us off and we thought "this can't be it, can it????" the only thing in common was the name.....

Any reason why this will be a positive for the farang community in Chiang Mai?

I actually feel a little disappointed every time I see or hear of a new multi-national restaurant or coffee shop opening here. I avoid them; however for me, it slowly erodes the feel of the Chiang Mai I fell in love with many years ago. You can't stop progress but progress in my opinion would be excluding these types of places.

Edited by Loaded

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

Any reason why this will be a positive for the farang community in Chiang Mai?

I actually feel a little disappointed every time I see or hear of a new multi-national restaurant or coffee shop opening here. I avoid them; however for me, it slowly erodes the feel of the Chiang Mai I fell in love with many years ago. You can't stop progress but progress in my opinion would be excluding these types of places.

Ever considered that the progress might be directed at the Thai community in Chiang Mai?

This is GREAT.  One of the best restaurants in America.  The food is 5-star, and worth every penny!!!!  Could be the greatest restaurant in all of SE Asia, maybe the World!!!

(now say sarcasm 100x)

I might eat there for 769 baht, but I would need free health insurance and travel expenses.  

9 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

In Pattaya, I almost bought a replica Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt. It looked the biz - except the 'R' in Rock was replaced by a 'C'.

So a slight 'Rock-Up' at the printers' ? :rolleyes:

I too do recall the old HRC in Chiang-Mai, with its vintage motorbike instead of a full classic-car, very appropriate I thought ! :lol:

53 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

They opened here on Samui already.

They serve burgers.....starting at 769 baht.  :blink:

"If"... if... the burgers are of the same quality that are served in the Hard Rock Cafes in Japan, they will be worth every penny and more!  Best I've had anywhere outside my own kitchen!  :)

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

"If"... if... the burgers are of the same quality that are served in the Hard Rock Cafes in Japan, they will be worth every penny and more!  Best I've had anywhere outside my own kitchen!  :)

If burgers are their specialty that will make that corner a magnet for burgaholics, which I'm not. It will be a real deal Hard Rock, not like the copies that were in the soi near Thapae gate which later moved to Loi Kroh, or what is now Roadside bar, that was Rock Hard bar. 

It will be interesting to see how they do, especially if it is as expensive as some people suggest.

20 minutes ago, ChangMaiSausage said:

Don't want to sound the grump but I come on vacation to get away from all of this commercial b*llsh*t restaurants. 

Did/do people not want to travel away from their home countries to experience other cultures including culinary dishes. 

coming for visits you could have the same thinking as many others, and some that make their home in Chiang Mai.  However, there seems to be many retired people living in Chaing Mai that want the "Florida retirement community" environment, but less expensive.... only my opinion of course. 

3 minutes ago, hml367 said:

coming for visits you could have the same thinking as many others, and some that make their home in Chiang Mai.  However, there seems to be many retired people living in Chaing Mai that want the "Florida retirement community" environment, but less expensive.... only my opinion of course. 

I know and guessed much the same, don't get me wrong I like a pizza and the odd burger every now and again but I can get my fixes from the likes of Mike's / Dukes etc.. the small places rather than the big franchise places.  Some say progress ;) 

Hard Rock food in my opinion is over priced for a basic meal. The Duke's is more affordable and the quality is just about the same. 

Within in the next couple of years many of the Seafood restaurants in the Night Bazzar area will leave there. I heard this from the owner last year.  The owner of the land (Chang Beer) has been increasing the rent and the owners already know about the future plans. Chang Beer Co. Have different plans for that area. 

5 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Make me wonder due that all HRC sell official merchandize how all the merchants out on Chang Klan are going to make it selling counterfeit items.:w00t:

There's a draconian crackdown on counterfeits being planned soon for Bangkok.

It wouldn't be hard to imagine it being extended to Chiang Mai and other places.