The best days of our lives - all over again! Pensioners in Udon go back to school

webfact

The best days of our lives - all over again! Pensioners in Udon go back to school

p44.jpg

Image: Manager Online

UDON THANI: -- Pensioners in Udon are going back to school to relive the best days of their lives all over again!

Some 400 students have enrolled in the school for "seniors" in the Napoo sub district of Phen district, Udon.

That is about one in three residents aged over 50 in the area, reported Manager Online.

The youngest is 50 but most are much older with the champion being 87.

The program is designed to help older people who often find themselves home alone after children flee the nest. 

It addresses problems of low self-esteem and self-worth that can lead to an early grave as stress causes problems to mental health.

Old people are increasingly ignored in a society where they were once top dogs. Economic problems mean children often leave them and make few visits - thinking that a phone call is sufficient.

The school gives the folks a chance to mix with like minded oldies as they are helped with activities to promote physical and mental well-being.

Khamsai Butkaew, 62, was typical of many who love going back to school: "My children have no time for me now - they even dumped two grandkids with me. 

All they do is phone and I get lonely and stressed. I love the school and can meet people my own age.

"We have laughter therapy," she said adding "I feel like a 14 year old again!"

Source: Manager Online

-- Thaivisa News 2016-08-02

Those expats who support 'Thainess' should get a uniform and join in. It's time to get off your lazy butts and put down those beers and get yourself educated. I'm much too young for this. I think every expat who is retired should be participating plus it's a great way for them to meet someone their own age which they have a lot in common with.

The children, gone from home, even dumped two grandchildren with me.

Yes, exactly, the problem in a nutshell.

Kids make kids, cannot take care of them, or don't want to, dump the surplus with the grandparents, and forget the children and the grandparents.

Nice

2 hours ago, Alive said:

Those expats who support 'Thainess' should get a uniform and join in. It's time to get off your lazy butts and put down those beers and get yourself educated. I'm much too young for this. I think every expat who is retired should be participating plus it's a great way for them to meet someone their own age which they have a lot in common with.

I would welcome the chance to take advantage of few extra educational opportunities, however, not sure given my "extension of stay based on retirement" status would allow me to do so?

5 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

I am sure a few farangs up there should follow suit. :clap2:

Totally agree

We should nominate a vast majority of grumpy old git TV members in need of schooling and manners. I wouldn't say I was grumpy. It's more like pathological problems. I have overblown seismic bipolar tantrums. I have to lie down and have a nap afterwards. 

9 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

sounds like a great program. Though Grandma needs to shorten the dress a bit to stay hip with the young crowd! :D

Good  idea,  Grandma  in   sexy shorts ,  would pull  a  lonely broken   heart farlang ,

looking  for  true  love  in   Udon   no  problem . Age not important .:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

8 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Totally agree

We should nominate a vast majority of grumpy old git TV members in need of schooling and manners. I wouldn't say I was grumpy. It's more like pathological problems. I have overblown seismic bipolar tantrums. I have to lie down and have a nap afterwards. 

I prefer to think of myself as a high functioning sociopath.