Visit To Changmai

Simbo

Just got back from a visit to Changmai. At Doi Suthet. they asked 3 different prices for using the lift. Written in Thai, a foriegner would never know he was paying 50b, averse to a Thai paying 20b.

I produced my 5 year driving licence. This was not accepted at first, but my insistance paid off.

At the lift, the attendant refused to accept my ticket. After time spent convincing them I was not a tourist, she reluctantly accepted it.

No matter how long one stays in thailand, it is still difficult to get ones head around their methods of charging. Signs are everywhere in English, till it comes to the tariffs. They deliberatly keep you in the dark. To me, that is blatant misleading.

Buying my favourite brand of cig, produced an inflated price,as soon as it was seen I was a farang.

This is not a knock at Changmai, which is a lovely city in general. It seems that wherever one goes in this country, expect to be ripped off, with a smile. :o

The sign at the top of the stairs at Doi Suthep temple that directs 'Foreigners' this way to pay an entrance fee to a temple is i think offensive even to many Thais. The abbot of this temple was criticised a lot last year in the Thai press for allowing his monks to have mookata bbq parties at new year.

I don't think anyone likes the dual pricing system, however, when one considers the disparity in income between Thai and tourist, it does make some sort of sense. I do get cross though when my driving licence or work permit are not accepted. I do pay tax in Thailand and in my opinion should get a reduction

Go to Wat Prathat Doi Kham on the hill behind the flower exhibition instead. It's like a smaller version of Wat Prathat Doi Suthep, also with a good view, and no cable cars or entrance fees, just voluntary donations.

It is rather busy now since the start of the flower exhibition, but no busier than Wat Prathat Doi Suthep.

Go to Wat Prathat Doi Kham on the hill behind the flower exhibition instead. It's like a smaller version of Wat Prathat Doi Suthep, also with a good view, and no cable cars or entrance fees, just voluntary donations.

It is rather busy now since the start of the flower exhibition, but no busier than Wat Prathat Doi Suthep.

...and what a beautifu relaxing temple it is too. I often went there if I was passing and had some free time. The Abbot speaks extremely good english, and as you say, it's Wat Prathat Doi Suthep in miniature, truely a pleasure to visit....Oh yes, and the view is stunning...

Just got back from a visit to Changmai. At Doi Suthet. they asked 3 different prices for using the lift. Written in Thai, a foriegner would never know he was paying 50b, averse to a Thai paying 20b.

I produced my 5 year driving licence. This was not accepted at first, but my insistance paid off.

At the lift, the attendant refused to accept my ticket. After time spent convincing them I was not a tourist, she reluctantly accepted it.

No matter how long one stays in thailand, it is still difficult to get ones head around their methods of charging. Signs are everywhere in English, till it comes to the tariffs. They deliberatly keep you in the dark. To me, that is blatant misleading.

Buying my favourite brand of cig, produced an inflated price,as soon as it was seen I was a farang.

This is not a knock at Changmai, which is a lovely city in general. It seems that wherever one goes in this country, expect to be ripped off, with a smile. :o

Off the top of my head I know of 2 places in CM that blatantly over-charge. The convenience store next to 7-11 is very expensive - why anyone would go in there is beyond me - also at the top end of Loi Kroh is another convenience store that basically doubles the price of everything they sell. Magazines are around 600 baht, small cartons of Tipco are 40 - rather than 20. I walked out of that place when I saw how much they were charging.

Off the top of my head I know of 2 places in CM that blatantly over-charge. The convenience store next to 7-11 is very expensive - why anyone would go in there is beyond me - also at the top end of Loi Kroh is another convenience store that basically doubles the price of everything they sell. Magazines are around 600 baht, small cartons of Tipco are 40 - rather than 20. I walked out of that place when I saw how much they were charging.

The Old Medicine Hospital massage are very sly at their overcharging. They have the prices in roman numerals and Thai descriptions behind the counter. When you ask the price, the price given matches the description so you think it's straight up, but if you're Thai you'll be a asked for a lot less than these prices.

Spoke to a monk about the over charging at the temple in Changmai and he said that they are well out of order and is in no way the Buddhist way of doing things and that the temple should be ashamed of themselves. He also said that its the same for anyone to charge one price for Thais and one price for Farangs but it will be them who will have to answer in the next life

Off the top of my head I know of 2 places in CM that blatantly over-charge. The convenience store next to 7-11 [near Thapae Gate on Moon muang Road] is very expensive - why anyone would go in there is beyond me

I find it amusing that all these politically correct ninnies turn up their noses at the fascist, capitalist 7-11 store and make a big show of going to the independent convienience store which is blatantly upping prices on everything in the store from 30-50%.

Dummies! :o

...and what a beautifu relaxing temple it is too. I often went there if I was passing and had some free time. The Abbot speaks extremely good english, and as you say, it's Wat Prathat Doi Suthep in miniature, truely a pleasure to visit....Oh yes, and the view is stunning...

I visit this temple often and what a surprise last week when I visited there. Many tables set up hawking merchandise and lottery tickets with a monk standing by the lottery table ready to render assistance to those in needi of lucky lottery numbers. I won't be returning till after Royal Flora I think. I hope it's returned to normal by then. Much as I try to detach myself from concern over these kinds of things, it is disappointing sometimes.

Much nicer place ...and good ice cream.... :o

The multiple pricing issue exists in other countries also. As an example, state universities in the US have significantly different prices for residents and non residents. Seems to be based, at least partially, on the idea that non residents have not funded the places but are getting the benefits.

Much of Asia has highly variable pricing. It is often possible to find 20-50% price differences in the US. Got to shop carefully everywhere, it seems.

I recall a visit about 11 years ago to the Prado in Madrid which had differential pricing for non-spaniards. I thought that it was fair enough that spaniards should have an advantage in seeing what was their heritage - already funded by their taxes. However I think that foreign residents and tax payers should have the same priveleges as local people.

Driving through Khao Yai recently the gate attendant accepted a non-farang tariff from me based on my thai driving license.

In Thailand's case I don't object to some discrimination on pricing based on the economic justification.

I don't think anyone likes the dual pricing system, however, when one considers the disparity in income between Thai and tourist, it does make some sort of sense. I do get cross though when my driving licence or work permit are not accepted. I do pay tax in Thailand and in my opinion should get a reduction

If entrance fees were 'means tested', I think one would find a large percentage of Thais would qualify for the higher price. Just look at the expensive limos around. I wonder if people from Lao, Vietnam, and other surrounding countries pay the alien price, or is it pure racism on Westerners ???

Yeah, I hate it when I have to pay a whole 30 Baht extra for something.

To be fair, if anyone should have a distasteful disposition towards dual pricing/racism etc. it should surely be the Thai teachers who have to stand back and watch a deadbeat backpacker with a 2 week TEFL Cert. and the grammatical knowledge of a snail waltz into a position paying double their 15K p/m salary.

I'd imagine spending 4 years in a Uni only for this to happen, every single term must be slightly frustrating.

Edited by thomo

Off the top of my head I know of 2 places in CM that blatantly over-charge. The convenience store next to 7-11 [near Thapae Gate on Moon muang Road] is very expensive - why anyone would go in there is beyond me

I find it amusing that all these politically correct ninnies turn up their noses at the fascist, capitalist 7-11 store and make a big show of going to the independent convienience store which is blatantly upping prices on everything in the store from 30-50%.

Dummies! :o

"Ninnies" :D Now thats a word I have not heard since my school days (and they were a long time ago)

Thanks for that UG :D

How can a temple charge one price for Thais and another for Farangs. Its against the law of Dhamma. Law No 2 which is do not steal. It may be ok for normal Thais but come on a temple, no way. The abbot should be be frocked

Dont know about frocked. I can think of a better word :o

Yeah, I hate it when I have to pay a whole 30 Baht extra for something.

To be fair, if anyone should have a distasteful disposition towards dual pricing/racism etc. it should surely be the Thai teachers who have to stand back and watch a deadbeat backpacker with a 2 week TEFL Cert. and the grammatical knowledge of a snail waltz into a position paying double their 15K p/m salary.

I'd imagine spending 4 years in a Uni only for this to happen, every single term must be slightly frustrating.

The second time I visited Doi Inthanon, I paid 360 baht more, even though I had a Thai driver's license, and was happy to pay, because on my first visit, the park rangers and first aid staff practically saved my life. Then I got a 4 week TEFL to add to my real BA (two majors, two minors), and went to work teaching for less than the Thai teachers. I know somebody in Thailand, teaching EFL for 31K after ten years here, whose wife makes 41k plus benefits, pensions, etc. as a Thai teacher.

Back to the subject. I think foreigners should pay a bit more than citizens, but ten times is too much. And, Wat Doi Suthep has become too much of a tourist attraction.

Every one of the 20 or so countries I've visited in Asia and Latin America has a dual pricing sytem. Let's face it, we have a dual income sytem in this world.

If you don't like dual pricing for tourists, I assume you're against giving discounts to senior citizens.

I know somebody in Thailand, teaching EFL for 31K after ten years here, whose wife makes 41k plus benefits, pensions, etc. as a Thai teacher.

Yeah, I know of a couple of Thai teachers making that much, but they have to work hard for it. I don't think it should be included here as a 'norm' for thai teachers because it isn't.