Thaksin calls the draft charter a “folly”

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

Thaksin's comments, like his governance, are for his own benefit.

That doesn't mean the comments are incorrect, in fact in this case they are 100% correct.

I think you also know they are correct, but cannot resist the urge to deflect,

10 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

That doesn't mean the comments are incorrect, in fact in this case they are 100% correct.

If you care to feel they are correct, that is your choice. I have heard he and his sister tell so many lies that I take anything a Shinawatra says with a mountain of salt.

Yingluk's reduction of funding for them shows their attitude for checks and balances - they are bad for business. Their business is grand scale theft.

14 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

If you care to feel they are correct, that is your choice. I have heard he and his sister tell so many lies that I take anything a Shinawatra says with a mountain of salt.

Yingluk's reduction of funding for them shows their attitude for checks and balances - they are bad for business. Their business is grand scale theft.

His comments are not correct. The problem with choosing the next government is that there is no one of any substance that is going to run for office because the past system of money politics simply recycled the inept. It has always been the same old parties; the same old politicians; and the same programs that have done nothing to move Thailand forward. The purpose of the Coup was to stop the recycling of the same old agenda and money politics that has placed Thailand in a position of low growth and devoid of new ideas. The new Constitution will keep the military involved because only the military can stop the re-emergence of the kind of governments that are mostly corrupt and do nothing for the Thai people. If Thaksin feels so strongly, why doesn't he come back; fight his sentence with his vast legal team; or even go to jail screaming loudly of his innocence. Democracy does not only imply rights for the populace but also responsibilities of both the government and populace. A person of conscience who claims he has been denied justice and loves his country will place himself in the firing line to defend his beliefs.  His residence is Dubai which speaks for whether he is a man of conscience.

I am not a hater of anyone and I will say this- Thaksin's health plan was the one significant thing he did for the country. It has literally saved the lives of many. However, the road to hell is paved with good deeds as they say. In the context of his total years in power himself and through surrogates, he has done little to  improve the life of the everyday Thai person  and caused a decade of strife. His agenda is to protect himself and his family and he is willing to do it at the expense of the Thai people. If  anyone believes Thaksin has the support of the majority of people as I mentioned- return now- fight your case and take you case to the people.  I doubt he has the guts to put himself on the line. His only interest is his own preservation.

Thailand needs to forget about Thaksin and his clan and look to a younger, more progressive group of leaders who will move Thailand ahead in the 21st century. The country has a huge potential that is untapped. It will be interesting to see if there are any real leaders out there once an election is held.

1 minute ago, halloween said:

"Indeed it was" as was the next family government, brought to power through an election he bought with"subsidies" to farmers, and look how well that turned out. 

So what's your problem with measures to stop corrupt governments bribing their way into office and then corruptly helping themselves?

Nice try at diversion. The economist said ".. probably no more so than most Thai governments"

They didn't say "most elected Thai governments". That means your dear juntas are included, halloween!

"So what's your problem with measures to stop corrupt governments bribing their way into office and then corruptly helping themselves?"

I have no problem trying to stop corruption, in governments or elsewhere in society. It's the measures used (coups) that I have a problem with. Maybe you overlooked the last part of the quote from The Economist:

"The army’s excuses for seizing power are wearing thin. Thailand has seen a
dozen successful coups since the 1930s and a new constitution on average every four years. The army typically installs conservative governments that
favour the urban elite. That has entrenched inequality and infuriated the rural poor. Mr Thaksin won two elections by wooing poor voters with free
public health care and subsidies for farmers. He may have left the scene, but his supporters are still there."

This sounds like a recipe for success to you??

I am not a hater of anyone and I will say this- Thaksin's health plan was the one significant thing he did for the country. It has literally saved the lives of many. However, the road to hell is paved with good deeds as they say. In the context of his total years in power himself and through surrogates, he has done little to  improve the life of the everyday Thai person  and caused a decade of strife. His agenda is to protect himself and his family and he is willing to do it at the expense of the Thai people. If  anyone believes Thaksin has the support of the majority of people as I mentioned- return now- fight your case and take you case to the people.  I doubt he has the guts to put himself on the line. His only interest is his own preservation.

Thailand needs to forget about Thaksin and his clan and look to a younger, more progressive group of leaders who will move Thailand ahead in the 21st century. The country has a huge potential that is untapped. It will be interesting to see if there are any real leaders out there once an election is held.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed as well as a reply:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

12 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Yes. He is only stating what the majority of the country would like to say but cant.

I can just imagine Prayut's face exploding in a fit of rage every time Thaksin releases a statement.

How do you know what the majority of the country think?

You don't. Speculate by all means, but don't pretend it's fact.

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

My dear chap, many people who support the Government also use the words majority and minority, will you be critiquing their posts in accordance too?

12 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Yes. He is only stating what the majority of the country would like to say but cant.

I can just imagine Prayut's face exploding in a fit of rage every time Thaksin releases a statement.

4 minutes ago, Jason Bourne said:

My dear chap, many people who support the Government also use the words majority and minority, will you be critiquing their posts in accordance too?

Yep. Whenever and whoever posts such, unless than can substantiate it.

8 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

Under the proposed charter, the next elected government cannot rule, unelected generals, senators and bureaucrats will rule.

It is truly a nightmare of contradictions and confusion.

The only positive to come of this coup to date is the way it has united many factions against those currently pulling the strings.

This year, or next year, or some time not too long after, real democracy will be restored and you, my dear Smedly are going to have to spend the rest of your TVF posting days living under a Thaksinite government - this makes me smile.

Governments are supposed to serve the people who elect them. I see you, like Thaksin believe they rule the electorate. He's had several goes, various political parties, various stooges to front for him and always ends the same way. The greed, the lying, the corruption, the nepotism the open contempt and arrogance for those who elected his regimes. Should a "Thaksinite" government ever return to power there is no reason whatsoever to believe they would behave any differently. Scams, nepotism and a get even richer club for the chosen few.

His utter contempt for the law, check and balances, transparency and accountability have been well demonstrated. Keep smiling - and be careful what you wish for.

5 hours ago, halloween said:

I don't feel he is correct, I know he is correct, as we can read the charter, we don't need to take their word in this case.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Governments are supposed to serve the people who elect them. I see you, like Thaksin believe they rule the electorate. He's had several goes, various political parties, various stooges to front for him and always ends the same way. The greed, the lying, the corruption, the nepotism the open contempt and arrogance for those who elected his regimes. Should a "Thaksinite" government ever return to power there is no reason whatsoever to believe they would behave any differently. Scams, nepotism and a get even richer club for the chosen few.

His utter contempt for the law, check and balances, transparency and accountability have been well demonstrated. Keep smiling - and be careful what you wish for.

Let me fix this for you:

Governments are supposed to serve the people who elect them, not take them by force. I see you, like Prayut believe they rule the electorate. The military had several goes, various political parties, various stooges to front for him and always ends the same way. The greed, the lying, the corruption, the nepotism the open contempt and arrogance for those who didn't elected his regimes. Should a "Military" government ever return to power there is no reason whatsoever to believe they would behave any differently. Scams, nepotism and a get even richer club for the chosen few.

There, now you get it.

7 hours ago, Jason Bourne said:

He used the words uneducated dross to describe Thai people who vote for Thaksin Shiniwatra

I suggest you also read what he wrote, as for sticking up for that creature, hardly, I dislike the comments towards the people who have shown me nothing but respect for the past 15 years, of whom I also respect, regardless of their political allegiance.

Do you often make poor judgements based on your severe lack of knowledge about ones political background?

Do you always insult people?

Strangely enough I did read what he wrote and just who are you to make judgements on anybody.

You have no idea who I am, where I live, how long I have been here (longer than you by the way), how much knowledge I may or may not have, and yes I do know a bit about Thaksins political background going back to when I first came to Thailand to work back in 1993.

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

Let me fix this for you:

Governments are supposed to serve the people who elect them, not take them by force. I see you, like Prayut believe they rule the electorate. The military had several goes, various political parties, various stooges to front for him and always ends the same way. The greed, the lying, the corruption, the nepotism the open contempt and arrogance for those who didn't elected his regimes. Should a "Military" government ever return to power there is no reason whatsoever to believe they would behave any differently. Scams, nepotism and a get even richer club for the chosen few.

There, now you get it.

But but but the Junta, but but but the coup, but but but anybody apart from discussing the Shins, their crime family history and kleptocracy.

Yeah, we get you Brucey, we surely do.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

But but but the Junta, but but but the coup, but but but anybody apart from discussing the Shins, their crime family history and kleptocracy.

Yeah, we get you Brucey, we surely do.

Yeah, Baerboxey, just pointing out that they are two sides of the same coin. Now you may finally understand. (but probably not...)

Just now, brucec64 said:

Yeah, Baerboxey, just pointing out that they are two sides of the same coin. Now you may finally understand. (but probably not...)

Oh really, silly me. For a moment there I thought you were just trying to divert away from the innocent and so sincere author of the comment this post is about.

Glad you realize that there is nothing democratic or remotely innocent about the fugitive. Just a newer gang trying forever to muscle in.

You may even get a Brucey Bonus.

18 hours ago, MZurf said:

Exiled fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Thursday criticized the draft constitution as a “folly” designed to perpetuate the power of the ruling junta and to make it almost impossible for the future elected government to rule.

Duh! He is, of course, absolutely right. I mean, that IS why they took power in the first place. No more new faces at the trough, and those pesky farmers actually believing that they should have a say in running their own country??? Well, I never!!!!!

" Exiled fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra "

Wrong headline as usual.Runaway,convicted criminal,and discraced former PM,Shinawatra,is the correct title.

16 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

He said that the constitution would put so much power in the hands of bodies tasked with acting as counter-balances to governments that it would make Thailand ungovernable.

I can understand Thaksins concern regarding counter-balances, when he was in power I was hoping for some myself. When Thaksin executed 3,000 alleged drug dealers I was hoping for balance. Speaking of which I notice Rodrigo Duterte has killed 700 "drug dealers" in the Philippines, he's going to have to pick up the pace if he wants to match the talking head from Dubai.

I have talked to Phillopinas about this and they say it is a good thing.I disagree,and explained what happened in Thailand in 2004.Duterte is another deluded fool who thinks only he can fix the problems and go outside the law to do it.Another TS in the making.

I tried to read (the English version that someone posted a link to on TV) the new constitution. 
It was long, boring and full of lawyer-speak.  Which I find hard to understand. 

So, as these politicians and leaders say things good or bad about the new rules, I really wish that they would quote a specific passage of it when they speak. 
Because I didn't find anything that would point to what they are saying. 

I'd like to be more aware of it's intricacies, if possible.  

15 hours ago, Thaidream said:

His comments are not correct. The problem with choosing the next government is that there is no one of any substance that is going to run for office because the past system of money politics simply recycled the inept. It has always been the same old parties; the same old politicians; and the same programs that have done nothing to move Thailand forward. The purpose of the Coup was to stop the recycling of the same old agenda and money politics that has placed Thailand in a position of low growth and devoid of new ideas. The new Constitution will keep the military involved because only the military can stop the re-emergence of the kind of governments that are mostly corrupt and do nothing for the Thai people. If Thaksin feels so strongly, why doesn't he come back; fight his sentence with his vast legal team; or even go to jail screaming loudly of his innocence. Democracy does not only imply rights for the populace but also responsibilities of both the government and populace. A person of conscience who claims he has been denied justice and loves his country will place himself in the firing line to defend his beliefs.  His residence is Dubai which speaks for whether he is a man of conscience.

Spot on with these comments.Democracy has been rorted,abused and used for self interest in most countries in the world.In fact i will say all countries.A new way must be found to progress beyond what politics has become today.Thailand reached a point where enough was enough and they are trying to sort a few families running the show out.Thailand reached the tipping point earlier than others because they were in front of the pack on the rorts.The Shins took it to a new level(greed)and this upset others in powerful positions.There is a lot to be said about China,where things get done,right or wrong.Compare that to the biggest democracy in the world,India,where nothing gets done.The aim there is to get a dunny in every house but they won't have the water to flush it down.The country is a pack of cards waiting to collapse.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

Spot on with these comments.Democracy has been rorted,abused and used for self interest in most countries in the world.In fact i will say all countries.A new way must be found to progress beyond what politics has become today.Thailand reached a point where enough was enough and they are trying to sort a few families running the show out.Thailand reached the tipping point earlier than others because they were in front of the pack on the rorts.The Shins took it to a new level(greed)and this upset others in powerful positions.There is a lot to be said about China,where things get done,right or wrong.Compare that to the biggest democracy in the world,India,where nothing gets done.The aim there is to get a dunny in every house but they won't have the water to flush it down.The country is a pack of cards waiting to collapse.

"Few families running the show" is indeed a very big problem here.

The Shinawatras are absolutely not one of those "old money" families.

Coups perpetuate the problem, Democracy will solve the problem.

5 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

"Few families running the show" is indeed a very big problem here.

The Shinawatras are absolutely not one of those "old money" families.

Coups perpetuate the problem, Democracy will solve the problem.

Correct, they stole their wealth from the people of Thailand relatively recently. Thaksin's crimes are well documented starting with the contract to supply RTP computers, the 20 year mobile phone monopoly, changing laws for self benefit, tax evasion, the Myanmar loan to buy from his company, bribery.......and that is without going to his conviction and pending charges.

But we should forget all that because he is popular with those he bribes, and accept his comments on a charter designed to reduce corruption in government as being altruistic and in the best interest of the nation.

14 minutes ago, halloween said:

Correct, they stole their wealth from the people of Thailand relatively recently. Thaksin's crimes are well documented starting with the contract to supply RTP computers, the 20 year mobile phone monopoly, changing laws for self benefit, tax evasion, the Myanmar loan to buy from his company, bribery.......and that is without going to his conviction and pending charges.

But we should forget all that because he is popular with those he bribes, and accept his comments on a charter designed to reduce corruption in government as being altruistic and in the best interest of the nation.

Nothing new posted here.

However,you have to agree that what Thaksin said about the charter  is correct though,don't you?  1507122.GIF

18 minutes ago, halloween said:

All business as usual in Thailand.

Thaksins crime isn't that he used the system to get wealthy. The elites and military moved on him because Thaksin dared to use his Prime Ministership to improve the well being of millions and millions of impoverished Thais. He took money from the Bangkok elites trough and spent it on things like universal health care, OTOP and rice subsidies. Was it altruism? No. Thaksin simply wanted to be Thailands version of Lee Kwan Yew.

Anyone who believes that Thaksin was thrown out for corruption is a numpty.