Booze-free Weekend: Referendum vote brings nationwide alcohol ban

webfact

Booze-free Weekend: Referendum vote brings nationwide alcohol ban

By Coconuts Bangkok

booze_4.jpg

Photo: Matteo Paciotti/ Flickr

BANGKOK: -- Alcohol sales will be banned nationwide for almost a whole weekend as the referendum vote is scheduled to take place on Sunday.

The sale of alcohol at shops, bars, restaurants and hotels will be banned from Saturday at 6pm until midnight on Sunday, which basically means Monday morning. This is in accordance with the 2016 Referendum Act, which forbids the sale or giveaway of alcohol from 6pm the night before polling day.

So basically, you can’t go out drinking this weekend. Those who violate the law will face up to six months in prison and/or a fine of THB10,000.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/05/booze-free-weekend-referendum-vote-brings-nationwide-alcohol-ban

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-05

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

Those who violate the law will face up to six months in prison and/or a fine of THB10,000.

I assume that means people selling or giving away alcohol.

What about drinking your own alcohol which was purchased days before?

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

This is in accordance with the 2016 Referendum Act, which forbids the sale or giveaway of alcohol from 6pm the night before polling day.

I guess you are not allowed to give a glass of wine or beer to your dinner guests either.

7 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Surely some posters don't really think that this sales (and commercial giveaway) ban applies to people drinking or serving alcohol in their own homes? 

Actual there are. What is not mentioned there is also a ban of  5 or more people gathering in a group over this period. :whistling: This law was put into effect by the army and is still enforced.

Thai army bans groups of more than five people from gathering.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-protests-gathering-idUSBREA4L0IC20140522

Surely some posters don't really think that this sales (and commercial giveaway) ban applies to people drinking or serving alcohol in their own homes? 

Of course we can drink in our own homes, but suppose you have a party (such as a wedding reception) at a hotel where the host pays for drinks, then basically it would be illegal to serve alcohol.

Otherwise drinking outside in public places is virtually banned everywhere now.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The sale of alcohol at shops, bars, restaurants and hotels will be banned from Saturday at 6pm until midnight on Sunday, which basically means Monday morning. This is in accordance with the 2016 Referendum Act, which forbids the sale or giveaway of alcohol from 6pm the night before polling day

So, if they are already using the 2016 Referendum Act, what is the point of having a vote?

Forget the vote and get back to drinking this weekend...............................

The interesting thing is, the foreign owned restaurants and bars are the only ones that suffer because the Thais ignore it The police only check foreign owned establishments. Tourists and foreigners can't vote so what the <deleted>#k is the point?

4 hours ago, petedk said:

I assume that means people selling or giving away alcohol.

What about drinking your own alcohol which was purchased days before?

I guess you are not allowed to give a glass of wine or beer to your dinner guests either.

And this comment was sent in by Peter, aged 7.

I think it would rather help to be dead drunk to vote in a referendum were your "YES" vote count, while your "NO" vote would not make any difference. Cheers, Salut, Kampai, Sláinte, Skol, Ваше здоровье, Na zdrowie,  Serefe, :gigglem:

Edited by Lupatria
gramma

Finnish Embassy in Bangkok sent a notice of the alcohol ban in Thailand. Priorities, priorities!

I used to envy the funny talk by British and USA ambassadors on twitter. Not anymore. :)

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

wonder if any other countries have this silly policy about banning sales of grog on election days. i have only heard of it in thailand. dont see what good it does or how anyone makes any money off it so i dont really understand it.

The Indian sub continent and it's for 3 days before and after if I remember correctly.

I remember not so long ago all pubs and bars in Oz had to shut over a few days in Xmas. So yes it happens in 1st world as well.
Lucky my condo shop in jomtien have their own laws

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

wonder if any other countries have this silly policy about banning sales of grog on election days. i have only heard of it in thailand. dont see what good it does or how anyone makes any money off it so i dont really understand it.

In India the ban around elections is 3 days.

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Actual there are. What is not mentioned there is also a ban of  5 or more people gathering in a group over this period. :whistling: This law was put into effect by the army and is still enforced.

Thai army bans groups of more than five people from gathering.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-protests-gathering-idUSBREA4L0IC20140522

Will have to send some of those family members out of the house while we are having our session!

19 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

The ban was brought in because politicians running for office in villages were buying votes by giving alcohol to people who considered a free drink was more beneficial than voting for someone else. 

But the extension to international hotels where foreign tourists and businesspeople are staying is simply ridiculous, counterproductive to the nation's interests and bears absolutely no relevance to the original reason for the ban being imposed... 

They'll be saying next that helmets must be worn when riding motorcycles....... and giving- way to those in the roundabout........and don't ride/drive against the flow of traffic......have licence / insurance and tax in date........NB ..none of these apply to 12 year old kids riding to school with two pillion passengers ...... 

They'll be saying next that helmets must be worn when riding motorcycles....... and giving- way to those in the roundabout........and don't ride/drive against the flow of traffic......have licence / insurance and tax in date........NB ..none of these apply to 12 year old kids riding to school with two pillion passengers ......