V/Adm wants to limit number of tourists visiting islands

webfact

V/Adm wants to limit number of tourists visiting islands

Phuket Gazette 

va.jpeg

V/Adm Sayan said that officials needed to do a better job of documenting international vessels anchoring or docking in Thai waters. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: A Royal Thai Navy Vice Admiral criticized local officials’ management of tourism in the Andaman at a meeting held on Wednesday.

Royal Thai Navy Third Area Commander Sayan Prasongsamrej was particularly critical of the Phuket Marine Office, saying that officials there needed to do a better job of documenting international vessels anchoring or docking in Thai waters. 

“A major concern of mine is that we’re not controlling yachts from other countries coming into our region, especially those coming to Phuket,” V/Adm Sayan said during the conference. 

“I was told that Phuket has a yacht control center and assured that they have a good system in place already, but I doubt that because it’s much harder to monitor traffic at sea than on land or air.

“I want to urge every officer to ensure that they do their job correctly. The more we record tourist and yacht-related data, the better we will be able to control and document who comes in or out of our territory.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/VAdm-wants-limit-number-tourists-visiting-islands/65344?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-05

The title is misleading....surely this is an immigration / security issue and nothing to do with 'visiting the islands', I thought the story was about too many tourists coming and spoiling the islands (which appears to be happening).

When I read the title I thought this would be about restricting the hoards of tourists damaging the islands with trash and coral taking.

But no - it's about the small number of boat tourists arriving  and likely spending much more (per head) than the hoards of charter tourists here for a few days ...

Thailand isn't getting any bigger and with tourists numbers smashing records and more and more flocking to Thailand ever year it is standing room only.  TAT are still pushing for more and that is why many are being pushed into the sea

If one reads the article without a chip on one's shoulder he's actually quite critical of the Marine Department- which most posters here normally are, but lets not let that get in the way of a bit of bashing.

23 hours ago, DavisH said:

The title is misleading....surely this is an immigration / security issue and nothing to do with 'visiting the islands', I thought the story was about too many tourists coming and spoiling the islands (which appears to be happening).

The TAT lady would never hear of cutting back on tourists. The Ka chings of the cash registers would be severely affected. 

Priorities.

The navy should be more concerned about Thai boats illegally fishing and running slaves and migrants than a few foreign registered yachts which are unlikely to be doing much damage to anyone or anything.

I rather think 3rd Area Naval Command are doing a sterling job already of limiting the tourist numbers visiting the island as the numbers since the change of leadership have took a right nose dive (I am talking of real tourists of course, you know the ones who actually spend money and time in the locality)