Short term internet on "smart phone" with AIS

bankruatsteve

I did the perfunctory search but didn't find help - sorry if I missed...

I am just wondering how to activate internet on my phone for like one day or some amount of data, whatever.  I have gone into the AIS service, select English, but then I get frustrated with the choices and quit.

I'm pretty sure there is a simple way to activate so can someone please tell how to do it?

Assuming I should have what? 2-500 baht in my 1-2 call account?

Thks.

I'm using DTAC, which has excellent call center to order internet packages. 

I normally just call their service number, first press a button for english and then speak to an operator. 

Operators are pleasant and speak very good English. They tell the options and the prices. I select normally 1 month/2.5GB data package and they set it up, as I have enough money on my account.

After the month, DTAC sends an SMS which gives the code to reactivate the previous package I used. I still call and speak to the operator as it's often easier and more pleasant way to proceed. 

If I'd use the data for only one day, then I'd not even call them. The max price for one day data is 50 baht. 

I'm sure AIS has the same options available. Simply select the number to speak to the operator after calling to their customer service.

what phone do you have? it doesnt normally need activating..the data signal is there, and if mobile data is turned on (your phone settings), then you should be able to access the interweb.

Like the poster above, I'm on dtac on even without a package, if you use 49b of data (easy to do) you don't pay any more until after midnight that night.

This method is ok for occasional use, but the speed is throttled.  Pretty sure AIS do the same thing.

Thanks for reply.  I'm thinking that I shouldn't have to wade through menus or talk to the sometimes not so very good English.

I'm just looking for the options available on AIS and the *xxx#xxx or whatever that will activate.

I don't think it matters what my phone is.  I have a 3G and a 4G SIM (but only the 3G is active).  I can access internet through my wi-fi IF I turn on the wi-fi.  But internet access via 3G needs a service.  That's what I am asking how to activate using AIS.  Cheers.

Edited by bankruatsteve

thats what im saying - you dont need to call anyone or enter a code - if your phone is capable, and the mobile data setting is activated (and your SIM is capable) then you can just browse away.

ok, if your phones a secret, then I won't search for how to enter the APN settings

some AIS data add ons can be seen here:

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/package.aspx?id=4&type=mobile_package

see if it works

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have AIS on my smart phone, all you need to do is activate your phones mobile data ( settings menu) after you use 12baht AIS will message you offering a package, simple 

THANK YOU.  Do you happen to know what the choices for package are?  And, will it deduct cost from my 1-2 call account or do I need to set up something else?  Thanks.

Just an anecdote on where my thoughts are coming from...  I saw a blurb today where a Japanese Olympian activated his smart phone for browsing (?) so he could look for Pokieman (?) and ended up with 5K USD phone charge after a few days.  I just want to be able to select what I am using for internet instead of just getting charged.  Yah?

Sooo many.

Two that I use sometimes when travelling.

Both low speed for email, surfing, text chat, sending pictures (LINE et.al) etc.

Not useful for video (chat), TV etc.!

*777*210# -> 24h, 300 MB at 512 kBit/s for 15 Baht

*777*731# -> 1 week, 1 GB at6 384 kBit/s for 69 Baht

After using up the volume the speed is throttled (even more).

Last time I did not manage to use up 1 GB in a week for this kind of use.

Unfortunately the site is NOT really in English ;)

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/package.aspx?id=4&type=mobile_package