Woman injured after a smart phone in her pant accidentally caught fire

rooster59

Unable to buy an original Samsung battery I bought a copy. to use as a spare. Luckily the battery was not in my phone when it swelled to nearly 4 times its normal size. If it had been, I am sure my phone would have exploded 

The battery was garunteed for one year but it failed after 13 months 20160702_195835.thumb.jpg.b443aa2b024b08 

4 hours ago, Goong Ying said:

Please don't ask a Yank how to speak English.     They haven't spoken English for many many years. Quote from 
"My Fair Lady" musical  production.

There was another mistake in ; "one of the pockets of her jean"  (even the spell corrector just  picked this one up).

My Thai wife still hasn't grasped the plural requirement for glasses, scissors, pants, jeans, and as for the double barrel slingshots ladies wear, she still calls them a bla.   :rolleyes:  Bless her.

Actually " 'enry "iggins is complaining that the English can't speak English proper either. Never mind the Americans, parts of the UK would require a local translator too.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/why-cant-the-english-lyrics-my-fair-lady.html

15 hours ago, Basil B said:

Yes, it is a foregone conclusion where the battery came from.

The only way to stamp this out is stiff penalties for those selling and importing fake electrical goods.

"The only way to stamp this out is stiff penalties for those selling and importing fake electrical goods."

Not going to happen while your a*se (or mine) is pointing to the ground.  :whistling:

I suspect it has nothing to do with the phone's on-board battery, since most modern smartphones (I'm assuming that's what it was) don't come with interchangeable batteries. Or at least batteries that can't be changed by users. I suspect she must've left her phone in her pocket while it was being charged by one of those 'power bank' thingy and yes, if you bought one of those cheap power banks, this may happen. I was told that cheap power banks don't discharge steadily (I'm no electrician so I don't know the correct terms to use), there are spikes in the current/voltage coming out of the power bank and that screws up the phone's battery, most of the time killing it, mostly slowly over a period of time, and sometimes violently as seen here. It is well documented that a charging phone should be left on non-flammable surfaces and are also not surrounded by, or near any flammable materials. Unplug the charger first if you have to take a call. And use only original chargers and cables. On the latter, I'm speaking from experience.

This has just started occurring on Oz. apparently it's the battery in the latest smart phones and they are exploding.  One guy on Sydney, last week, fell off his bike, landed on the phone, which caused the battery to explode and he ended up needing a skin graft on his hip.  I don not know the brand but apparently it is not one of those cheapies out of China, nor was it a poor quality battery. Have not heard why this is occurring at this time.

Doesn't have to be a cheap phone or battery.

But it makes it more likely.

To help avoid issues with your batteries, the Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends the following safety tips:

1. Only purchase batteries and chargers directly from the manufacturer or from a manufacturer-recommended source. Buying counterfeit or poorly manufactured batteries increases the chance of having an issue.
  2. Do not let a loose battery come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys, or jewelry. Metal objects can cross the electrical connections and cause an incident if the internal protection circuitry isn't functioning correctly.
  3. Do not crush, puncture or put a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short-circuit, resulting in overheating.
  4. Do not place the phone or batteries in areas that may get very hot, such as on or near a cooking surface, cooking appliance, iron, radiator or the dashboard of your car in the summer.
  5. If you drop your phone or laptop on a hard surface, it can potentially cause damage the battery. If you suspect damage to the battery, take it to a service center for inspection.
  6. If your phone gets wet, even if the device dries and operates normally, the battery contacts or circuitry could slowly corrode and pose a safety hazard.

Perhaps on this occasion number 4 or number 6?

2 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Would've been easier and more fun to have pulled her pants down instead of trying to muscle the pocket open. Missed a fine opportunity for a reenactment and finger pointing photo. :D

Aye, that could become handy :)

Could i book a few of those phones to offer to a few pretties?

I could then rescue them by tearing their pants down myself..

"My hero, you saved me" !!! :cheesy: