Angkor temple entrance fee to almost double in February

geovalin

PHNOM PENH: Visitors to Cambodia’s famed Angkor temple complex will have to pay almost twice as much for admission starting next February, the government said Friday.

A government statement said the price of single-day tickets will rise from $20 currently to $37. A three-day pass will cost $62, up from $40. The price of a 7-day ticket, valid over a one-month period, will go up from $60 to $72.

No explanation was given for the increase. The government said $2 from each ticket sold will be donated to a Swiss-owned children’s hospital, Kantha Bopha, which provides free treatment.

Last year, about 2.1 million tourists visited Angkor Wat, the spiritual center of the Khmer empire that dominated the region from the 9th century until its collapse in the 15th century. A UNESCO World Heritage site, Angkor is a symbol of national pride that is emblazoned on the Cambodian flag.

Last month, Apsara Authority, which oversees the archaeological complex, said that beginning this month local and foreign tourists who dress immodestly will not be allowed to enter. --AP

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/08/163403/angkor-temple-entrance-fee-almost-double-february

When you consider most of the preservation and limited restoration is being done gratis by the Japanese, Germans, Australia and apologies if I missed some,  this is a bit rich. 

Plus you pay through the nose for everything in proximity. 

37 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

None of the stalwart TV'ers will be going.

Cambodians get in free!!!

USD 37 is OK, the place is absolutely huge and they continue to improve it.

As you say, the place is huge and not possible to see more than a little bit in one day. A day ticket is $37.

Perhaps Cambodia will compensate by giving 30 day no visa access, as do Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and some other Asean countries. Now it is an official $30 for visa, but only if you fly in. A border crossing will likely set you back more by virtue of the corrupt Immigration people. 1,500baht is the norm, with some border crossings refusing to accept US$

there is little anybody  can do due to the monopoly factor.

will the tourist be impacted by these price hikes. i suppose if you are going to cambodia then not seeing the Ankor Wats

will make your trip meaningless, at least for the first time.

really cannot see the justification for the steep hike.

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

As you say, the place is huge and not possible to see more than a little bit in one day. A day ticket is $37.

Perhaps Cambodia will compensate by giving 30 day no visa access, as do Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and some other Asean countries. Now it is an official $30 for visa, but only if you fly in. A border crossing will likely set you back more by virtue of the corrupt Immigration people. 1,500baht is the norm, with some border crossings refusing to accept US$

I rekon the e visa will fix them,we will see in a couple of weeks.

Travel really was so much better when it was the preserve of the rich.  

I remember amazing holidays 30-40 years ago,  I'm so glad my parents took us all over the world before places were ruined by mass tourism.

If you are going to fly to Cambodia and then complain about paying between $37 and $72 to see one of the wonders of the world, then why are you even leaving home?

They should charge $500 and make it exclusive.

14 hours ago, rosst said:

When you consider most of the preservation and limited restoration is being done gratis by the Japanese, Germans, Australia and apologies if I missed some,  this is a bit rich. 

Plus you pay through the nose for everything in proximity. 

They do not seem to put one dollar into Siem Reap, the footpaths along the river are a deathtrap. They could spruce the place up, considering the number of tourists that visit.

There are too many restaurants, hotels, massages, most of the restaurants sit empty through the day.  I like to watch new businesses open and bet on how long they will last. I've just spent two months there.

13 hours ago, jgarbo said:

Americans (who wrecked the country) should pay. Cambodians deserve free admission forever for their suffering.

I thought it was the Rouge that wrecked the country. But I will agree, all military personnel should pay and the rest of us get in free. After all, it isn't like todays Cambodians built the thing heck I am not sure they even discovered it was out in the jungle there.

6 hours ago, seancbk said:

Travel really was so much better when it was the preserve of the rich.  

I remember amazing holidays 30-40 years ago,  I'm so glad my parents took us all over the world before places were ruined by mass tourism.

If you are going to fly to Cambodia and then complain about paying between $37 and $72 to see one of the wonders of the world, then why are you even leaving home?

They should charge $500 and make it exclusive.

Hi i am sorry you are ill . Hope you get better soon

15 hours ago, jgarbo said:

Americans (who wrecked the country) should pay. Cambodians deserve free admission forever for their suffering.

With all respect for the horrible years they suffered under the Khmer Rouge, it is fair to say that the Cambodians never gave a toss about Angkor Wat and let it rot for centuries.

As for today, it would be quite interesting to see how those 37USD flow down to maintaining the site and to the locals on one side (maybe 1), and to those already rich on the other side (maybe 36).

Been there long before the ugly face of tourism took over….four of us had ALL the temples to ourselves….not a soul around….except a cute street vendor trying to sell us some Coke®. A surreal and magical experience gone for good. Im sure its all about selfies in the ruins now.

Was free at the time too.

Stayed at the very posh and elegant Angkor Village back then….it was 25usd back then….wouldnt be surprised if its 200 now.

Arithai.... well that is pretty much full score BS. Get yourself an education and come back (after you did). Angkor was never abandoned. That's a myth. The use was dramatically scaled down as the urban base of the city had been devastated. Also: <deleted> did those Thai raiders do? Aside from stealing the ballet, language, culture, and producing a model in the BKK palace?

For the better or worse Angkor shared its fate with large parts of places like Sukkothai, My Son, Wat Pho (Champansak).

I m not aware that the U.S. has paid for any sort of damages incurred by the illegal war. A start would seizing Kissinger's assets and fly him in a coffin to PP. Similarly, the Chinese are liable. They and their US bed fellows backed Pol Pot for years after the genocide. Tells us something about Reagan, the Republican Party and their love for dictators. If only that U.S. constitution would not be in the way.....

10 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

They do not seem to put one dollar into Siem Reap, the footpaths along the river are a deathtrap. They could spruce the place up, considering the number of tourists that visit.

There are too many restaurants, hotels, massages, most of the restaurants sit empty through the day.  I like to watch new businesses open and bet on how long they will last. I've just spent two months there.

SR definitely comes up short considering the take from the temples. The riverside walkway could be a singular attraction, but you are right, it's a deathtrap. It's also frequently blocked by parked tuktuks and local employees' cars. Add to that list the dodgy electrical supply, which should be an extreme embarrassment to authorities. Power outages are very common, sometimes lasting for days. Then there's poor flood control and filthy streets dotted with garbage piles left from the nightly "pickup."  

Considering how many multi-multi-millionaires there are in Cambodia and the hundreds of millions pouring in from generous foreign governments, Siem Reap should be a flower of Southeast Asia. But it's far, far, far from it.