SURVEY: Do you believe the Olympics in Rio will be a success?

Scott

SURVEY: Will the Olympic Games be a success?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SURVEY:  Will the Olympic Games be a success?

There have been reports of numerous problems reported about the Olympic Games in Rio, including the Zika scare, dangerous pollution levels in the water,  violence, possible terrorism and incomplete facilities.   In your opinion do you believe the games will be a success?

A    Please feel free to leave a comment.

Do you mean a genuine success or one as per the official spin that's bound to come if things go wrong   ?

As a side issue I'm completely underwhelmed by the OTT enthusiasm of the BBC News team in Brazil who appear determined to breathe life into the games no matter what and for me it's just too false and contrived to be genuine.

I am sure hoping they will be a success and I think they will be.   I think most people with any interest in the Olympics are mostly interested in the games themselves and less so with the trouble with the infrastructure.   

I did not vote as there was no correct option for me.

Success is relative.

For the athletes, Hoe's and those that receive brown envelopes they will be a massive success. For the athletes that success will be short lived as they return home with all sorts of diseases.

For the homeless, starving and poor people, the Games will make no odds to their collective lives.

I think it will be mediocre  at best, my friends living there tell me there is unprecedented crime in Rio, gangs of pickpockets, purse snatchers, homeless nut cases pouring in from neighboring big cities, Sao Paulo, Brasilia, far too many for the police to handle.  I mean really - who puts two toilets, and two beds together in a group of apartments because they measured wrong when they built the place???

The games themselves will be a success but  overshadowed by the corruption and economy in Brazil and the lack of leadership of IOC President Thomas Bach and WADA President Craig Reedie. Two bigger scumbags in sport do not exist.   They have done everything possible to stymie the investigation of drugs in sport.  Craig Reedie leading WADA is like Adolf Hitler leading Amnesty International. :bah:

I have not watched the olympics for years since the stupidity of the crazy games they have put in and the drugs takers getting away with it. State sponsored like the russians and chinese will only end when the countries are banned from olympics  and athletes get lifetime bans when caught.
 First womens medal 10m air rifle . <deleted> is that ? How is that an olympic sport ? 10 metres , i am good with a catapult at 30 metres . I should be in the olympics.
To me olympic athletes are the fittest and best physical specimens of human beings in the world . Now you can be fat and shoot air rifles or bows and arrows .Syncronised swimming was bad enough .Now they have football and rugby but to me its about personal achievements not teams.
 Better they just go back to track and field ,boxing , wrestling , swimming , gymnastics and a few more  single person competitions . Would also be a lot cheaper and easier to organise

So far we've had:

- huge delays with queues, resulting in half empty venues

- a rowing venue that has been chosen for the view, rather than appropriateness, with a natural wind-tunnel causing a capsize yesterday and the whole day's rowing to be postponed today - that in itself will likely cause further delays to other events scheduled after the rowing

- a men's road race that was dangerous, with a distinct lack of safety fences / barriers.  But, worse than that, the women's race used parts of the same course and (inadequate) fencing that was damaged during the men's race had not even been repaired for the women's race!!  The whole thing was a disaster waiting to happen, and I understand the (one time) women's race leader has broken three bones in her back and other damage, including severe concussion - no consideration re the safety of the competitors.

- diving in an outside venue, resulting in erratic results due to divers becoming cold and stiff between dives

- a stray (military) bullet fired through a media tent, landing 3 feet from foreign journalists

- too much pollution, too many drug cheats, too many poor people displaced to build the venues, terrible camera work / editing, etc.......

Yeah, it's going to be a great success...because Adam Peaty has just smashed the World Record again, winning the 100m Men's Breaststroke by 1 and a 1/2 seconds!! :-)

Edited by BwindiBoy
one word incomplete

I think you need to define 'success'.   Financially, they will be a disaster.

What do you mean exactly, no terrorists attacks, crowds exceed expectations, many world records?   The sky is the limit on criteria.

If the crowd at today's Spain/Australia hockey game was an indication, huge failure.  There would have been about 50 spectators.

If Australia's medal count on day 1 is an indicator, a success for Australia.

I've never been so disinterested in an Olympics, and many friends feel the same, so I expect it may have had its day as the greatest sporting spectacle on the planet, and part of that would be the inclusion of 'sports' such as Synchronized Diving, Golf, BMX, and Rhythmic Gymnastics, and that's just a start.   I suppose at least knitting isn't there, but maybe next time round???

Edited by F4UCorsair
typo

The olympic comitte is probably more corrupt than fifa . They should be scrapped and a new one formed with no africans or asians as they are without doubt the most corrupt  and run by top business men .
Brazil is a long way from the rest of the world , about 9000kms from uk and 8000kms from new york so not many people going to travel except for the rich .  The poverty in brazil is extreme so not many local people going to pay to watch as they would in europe or usa etc . I had a quick look at a few games today and stadiums empty ?Some less than 100 fans ?
 The games will work ok but without spectators will not be so good to watch . Brazil should never have had the olympics

The logo for the olympics in Rio looks like a butt plug or one of those anti-rape devices for women to wear.

How could anything go wrong, one asks with tongue in cheek and foot in mouth?

Edited by Inepto Cracy
better english

1 hour ago, dazzz said:

The olympic comitte is probably more corrupt than fifa . They should be scrapped and a new one formed with no africans or asians as they are without doubt the most corrupt  and run by top business men .
Brazil is a long way from the rest of the world , about 9000kms from uk and 8000kms from new york so not many people going to travel except for the rich .  The poverty in brazil is extreme so not many local people going to pay to watch as they would in europe or usa etc . I had a quick look at a few games today and stadiums empty ?Some less than 100 fans ?
 The games will work ok but without spectators will not be so good to watch . Brazil should never have had the olympics

Have to agree about corruption in probably any committee choosing venues. We could chop out Africans and Asians but not sure if that would be PC. Who to replace them with, honest westerners like Corzone, Clinton type people? The West is also completely corrupt, it is almost a right of passage to achieve any office, power is money and it attracts sociopaths like flies to...

I'll hope someday the summer Olympics return to Athens and stay there.

The number of sports will be reduced to for example 57 which could also be the maximum number of athletes participating from each country (and Heinz would become the main sponsor).

Winter Olympics could be permanently held at Lillehammer.