EC warns no violation of Public Referendum Act to be tolerated

rooster59

EC warns no violation of Public Referendum Act to be tolerated

Kitti Cheevasittiyanon

BANGKOK, 7 August 2016 (NNT) - The Election Commission is warning the public to refrain from any action that might violate the Public Referendum Act. 

Acting secretary-general of the Election Commission Boonyakiat Rakchartcharoen said that the Public Referendum Act has banned the sale of alcoholic beverages from 6 p.m. of August 6 to midnight of August 7, and the public should be reminded of that. 

Mr. Boonyakiat noted that all voters should be careful about how they handle the ballots and avoid damaging them while at the voting booths. 

Concerning criticisms of the public referendum process, he said that the EC is only responsible for organizing the voting event and not about allowing free expression of people’s opinions, which many have called for. 

Mr. Boonyakiat stated that such a process is under the authority of the security agencies and the police.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-07

"the EC is only responsible for organizing the voting event and not about allowing free expression of people’s opinions" 

One would have to think that voting in this referendum will be exactly how Thai people will freely express their opinion (unless Boonyakiat is admitting that this is rigged). 

I get the  need to enforce self discipline in a nation devoid of the concept, but foreigners can't vote so why on earth  can't they apply common sense & let foreigners go about their business as usual?

My sympathy to anyone in the tourist industry who were hoping to put bums on chairs (Olympics, Prem league opener) on what should have been a bumper w/e.

Edited by evadgib

Honestly I can't say I have noticed any difference at all between being under Yingluck or the junta. I do miss Yingluck's beautiful face on the TV every night though but I will avoid the temptation to compare her looks with the chappie that brought us all this lovely happiness. 

Concerning criticisms of the public referendum process, he said that the EC is only responsible for organizing the voting event and not about allowing free expression of people’s opinions, which many have called for. 

Mr. Boonyakiat stated that such a process is under the authority of the security agencies and the police.

Has there ever been a time that one of these guys has opened their mouth and not sounded like a complete t**t? That is EXACTLY what they are supposed to do:

Roles and responsibilities[edit]

The primary role of the Commission is ensure that that elections carried out in the Kingdom of Thailand is lawful and compatible with the Constitution. It is also in charge of enforcing National election laws covering: House of Representatives, Senate, Districts, Referendums, Bangkok Gubernatorial elections and Political parties. Its constitutional duty includes the publishing and all election returns, therefore formalizing them. The Commissioners also have the right to disqualify a candidate, or call for a re-count for a particular seat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_Commission_of_Thailand

Looks like the Voters are happy that they get fingerprinted.

A fingerprint can be stolen, copied and moulded onto an artificial silicon finger. This can be used to unlock a mobile device or payment system, allowing hackers access to the user’s bank account.

Today, if you have your credit card stolen, you simply have a new one set up and the old one cancelled. But how do you replace a fingerprint?

http://www.cnahardy.com/news-and-insight/insights/english/cyber-securit-the-future-risk-of-biometric-data-theft

Food for thought!

Apparently the vote was 61% in favour with a small turn out. You had the choice of voting to have your rights diminished or not voting and having your rights diminished. Many obviously voted to stay home with their Families. Now Thailand has advanced to a new Constitution which in effect gives all power to the Military. just like Myanmar . How does making the average Thai persons vote worthless as they cannot choose their Prime Minister or members of the Senate. Where does this strengthen Democracy. Personally I would like to see Thailand condemned in the UN and by other democratic Countries. Let them cosey up to China. The price for Thailand will be too high. And China will soon tire of its new whining Puppy.

They would have been more honest to say the new constitution is the same as the pre 1932 constitution with all power given back to the Military and ruling classes.