Soldiers uncover illegal bar opening on referendum day - but the cops had all gone home!

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

''The tourists were given a stern talking to for an hour about Thai law''

In which language?

Were they all of the same nationality and their home language used?

In English thinking most would get some of that?

In Thai?

Did the lecture take so long because multiple translators were used?

Did they actually understand what was being said?

So many questions...

These reports are such a crock of sh:-/,,,t . This is Thailand there is no law , we expats are used to it but it  take several years living here to fully appreciate how corrupt this country is.

I have committed to spending my final years on the planet living here, with a lovely partner and a good life style,I avoid problems, give way to idiots and insult nobody. No road rage and any time a problem ever call the bib, call your Thai friends.

11 hours ago, CantSpell said:

Taking about alcohol laws, I may have missed the announcement but it seems the alcohol law as been amended.

It used to be possible to buy during prohibited hours (supermarkets and such) if buying more than 10 liters.

Saw an announcement yesterday at Rimping supermarket: that exemption as now been cancelled

Yep changed last year. Please trey to keep up, there will be questions at the end...

:crazy:

15 hours ago, Cuchulainn said:

Now don't do that again, you naughty tourist!!   :lol:

Surely anyone with a foreign passport and who was born outside of Thailand should be allowed to have a drink on election days.

yeah because thais would just LOVE tourists getting pissed up all over the shop and they told NO

9 hours ago, FredNL said:

The whole world is laughing about the Thai Alcohol laws...

The world doesn't care about Thailand, which despite what the Thais are brainwashed from birth to believe is just an insignificant social, economic and political backwater with zero influence in world affairs.

21 hours ago, Bung said:

The tourists were given a stern talking to about how Thai people have to be sober and go vote on Sunday so tourists cannot be allowed to enjoy a few drinks on a Saturday night......

Why not just ban Thai people from drinking? 

hi Bung

at no stage of human evolution has alcohol disappeared from society. you can try to ban Thai people from drinking but the ingenuous mind will find alternatives.

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

are some people naive or in complete disregard of the laws.

drinking is banned on a particular day, yet they open a bar and carry on as if nothing has happened.

In response to your first sentence, ask most motorbike drivers with not wearing a  helmet, and you have your answer.

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

are some people naive or in complete disregard of the laws.

drinking is banned on a particular day, yet they open a bar and carry on as if nothing has happened.

In response to your first sentence, ask most motorbike drivers with not wearing a  helmet, and you have your answer.

On 08/08/2016 at 11:17 AM, Cuchulainn said:

Surely anyone with a foreign passport and who was born outside of Thailand should be allowed to have a drink on election days.

Not if the law doesn't allow it, which it doesn't.   But surely everyone can go without alcohol for just one day?

If your suggestion was implemented, however, where would you draw the line when it comes to one law for the Thais and another for foreigners?

Very Silly!

If this new Minister of Tourism wants to do something productive she should mandate that people with foreign passports and businesses frequented by foreigners/tourists be exempt from any of Thailand's non-alcohol days.

This eliminates the problems, and the costs, created by the need for extra policing.

Tourists and foreigners do not vote in Thai elections.

Tourists and foreigners do not go to wats on Buddha days.

What is the point?

Thailand either wants tourists to come here or it does not!

On 8 August 2016 at 11:34 AM, CantSpell said:

Taking about alcohol laws, I may have missed the announcement but it seems the alcohol law as been amended.

It used to be possible to buy during prohibited hours (supermarkets and such) if buying more than 10 liters.

Saw an announcement yesterday at Rimping supermarket: that exemption as now been cancelled

The exemption has been amended.  To buy alcohol during prohibited hours you need to:

1.  Buy more that 10 litres

2.  Buy from an agent of the manufacturer/imported i.e. a distributor or Makro (Tesco,Big C etc aren't agents only retailers).

3.  Have an alcohol license yourself.

Basically that have tighten it up so licensed sellers of alcohol can stock up at anytime while preventing Joe Bloggs from buying a couple of boxes with his mates to avoid the sales bans.

Note that total alcohol sales bans like for the referendum override the exemption, so even licensed sellers can't suck up.

Sometimes I wonder if these are real laws than have gone through the full judiciary system of law,  would an amendment these days not take quite while with a number of sign off rounds before it is officially written into law.

More curious than anything else.  

On 9 August 2016 at 9:32 AM, KenKadz said:

Very Silly!

If this new Minister of Tourism wants to do something productive she should mandate that people with foreign passports and businesses frequented by foreigners/tourists be exempt from any of Thailand's non-alcohol days.

This eliminates the problems, and the costs, created by the need for extra policing.

Tourists and foreigners do not vote in Thai elections.

Tourists and foreigners do not go to wats on Buddha days.

What is the point?

Thailand either wants tourists to come here or it does not!

Who is silly?

I cannot think of any country, except Muslim countries who have banned alcohol completely for their own citizens, who allow a policy for differentiating between visitors and locals.  The norm is as always: "When in Rome, do as the Romans".  And no tourists and foreigners in Wats on Buddha days?  What a strange world you live in?

All over the world alcoholics and other addicts have always had to live under a strict logistical regime:  Does my income pair with visits to public venues or do I have to consume my drug of choice at home, in a park or on a parking lot?  

Secondly: If a public venue is affordable (and legal): what are the opening/serving hours and do I need to stock up a bit for hours when services are not available?  Piece of cake, been done for centuries!  So why should some miserable Falangs in Thailand be excempt  from these logistically easy rules?  

Which brings me to a question I have often asked myself:  Does the cost of living in a country for retirees influence the social and political awareness level of said retirees?  Meaning, is the average IQ and social skills lower for visitors in Thailand than say Spain?  I doubt it, I think it has more to do with expectations.  The further you get away from your home, both socially and geographically,  the greater are the expectations of being able to break social rules and norms.  

And of course, let us not forget inherent racism.  Which is quite normal, old chap, but something that also should be taken into consideration.

2 hours ago, Imkah said:

Who is silly?

I cannot think of any country, except Muslim countries who have banned alcohol completely for their own citizens, who allow a policy for differentiating between visitors and locals.  The norm is as always: "When in Rome, do as the Romans".  And no tourists and foreigners in Wats on Buddha days?  What a strange world you live in?

All over the world alcoholics and other addicts have always had to live under a strict logistical regime:  Does my income pair with visits to public venues or do I have to consume my drug of choice at home, in a park or on a parking lot?  

Secondly: If a public venue is affordable (and legal): what are the opening/serving hours and do I need to stock up a bit for hours when services are not available?  Piece of cake, been done for centuries!  So why should some miserable Falangs in Thailand be excempt  from these logistically easy rules?  

Which brings me to a question I have often asked myself:  Does the cost of living in a country for retirees influence the social and political awareness level of said retirees?  Meaning, is the average IQ and social skills lower for visitors in Thailand than say Spain?  I doubt it, I think it has more to do with expectations.  The further you get away from your home, both socially and geographically,  the greater are the expectations of being able to break social rules and norms.  

And of course, let us not forget inherent racism.  Which is quite normal, old chap, but something that also should be taken into consideration.

On 8/8/2016 at 6:20 PM, Rorri said:

Really, mmm, I like to see your proof, I know of many that don't ban it, Canada, the US, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Germany, Norway, just to name a few, maybe you mean a "few."

I apologize my info is a little behind but 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/election-day-alcohol-laws_n_2082327.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/election-day-alcohol-sales_n_5411946.html 

http://www.stateliquorlaws.com/state/AK

On 8-8-2016 at 0:50 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Smoking inside any premises is illegal in Thailand, so I guess that includes shisha pipes. Thailand has some of the strictest no-smoking laws in the world and was the first, I think, to put gruesome photos on the packets.

Of course, being Thailand, many places still allow smoking because they make a donation to the right people.

At kao sarn road in BKK you can still smoke inside (some) restaurants. They also have ashtrays.

On 8/13/2016 at 4:21 PM, Thian said:

At kao sarn road in BKK you can still smoke inside (some) restaurants. They also have ashtrays.

On 8/13/2016 at 4:21 PM, Thian said:

There is smoking in many places, but it is illegal and money changes hands to pretend it isn't happening. You know, the Thai way.