Delays Expected as Pattaya By-Pass Tunnel Falls Behind Schedule

Jonathan Fairfield

Delays Expected as Pattaya By-Pass Tunnel Falls Behind Schedule
Albert Jack

Screen Shot 2559-08-08 at 1.06.11 PM.png

PATTAYA:— The Sukhumvit-Pattaya Klang bypass tunnel may be just over 50% complete now, but contractors warned last week that they are running behind schedule.

Mr Rachan Chan, the project manager and his advisor, Somchai Panpao, confirmed that they have completed 56% of the project although they would need to be 66% complete by this time to have remained on target.

The project was due for completion in March 2017 and engineers have warned that construction may well have to be halted altogether during the height of the approaching rainy season.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/229585/delays-expected-pass-tunnel-falls-behind-schedule/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-08-06

It  does not matter how long it takes,    the disruption to

drivers and  riders will go on for the next ten years,   with all the other tunnel projects soon to be on the cards around town.

Pattaya the biggest traffic jam outside off Bangkok. :wai2:

Way  to go :coffee1:

Edited by onemorechang

expect more and more delays.  The thai workers are paid by the hour and not the job.  They have little incentive to finish.  And this does not even account for if there is any kickback going on and monies being wasted.  Sometimes things like that happen in construction projects.  Is this a cost plus contract?  Is this a fixed price but with incentive fee?  How would you know>?  Are any of the books open to external audit or review? 

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The thai workers are paid by the hour and not the job.

Which is customary in virtually all labor jobs. Who can afford to wait a few years until the project is finished? Not a lot of Thai laborers with that kind of liquidity.  Or any nationality laborers for that matter.

F1

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

expect more and more delays.  The thai workers are paid by the hour and not the job.  They have little incentive to finish.  And this does not even account for if there is any kickback going on and monies being wasted.  Sometimes things like that happen in construction projects.  Is this a cost plus contract?  Is this a fixed price but with incentive fee?  How would you know>?  Are any of the books open to external audit or review? 

Oh, delays are normal for infrastructure projects wherever. New report just came out on the UK's Trident submarine upgrade. Whoops! Not many Thai workers involved I presume.

Costs are said to have already swollen by an extra £15 to £20 billion (US$19.5 to 26 billion), and the fleet’s inaugural day has been pushed back from 2024 to the “early 2030s.”

--https://www.rt.com/uk/355068-trident-renewal-doubt-watchdog/

Must be millions of examples out there. GIYF.

2 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Oh, delays are normal for infrastructure projects wherever. New report just came out on the UK's Trident submarine upgrade. Whoops! Not many Thai workers involved I presume.

Costs are said to have already swollen by an extra £15 to £20 billion (US$19.5 to 26 billion), and the fleet’s inaugural day has been pushed back from 2024 to the “early 2030s.”

I think that would be a great idea,   Thais working on Trident nuclear  submarines.

they can replace all the Nuclear warheads with Somtan.

This should be encouraged all round the world. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

AND!!!! RELEVANCE.

10 minutes ago, chasntong said:

AND!!!! RELEVANCE.

The relevance may well be that once the rains start in earnest....a submarine might be the only way to negotiate these tunnels!

And stop shouting at this time in the morning!

16 hours ago, does said:

It seems like a rather narrow tunnel. Is it two lane of four lane?

I don't reside in the area but it appears to be four lanes.  It may be the angle at which the photo was taken makes it look smaller. Just look at the large heavy vehicle in the upper left on the photo and the heavy machinery to the right,  looks like two lanes either side to me.

8 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

I don't reside in the area but it appears to be four lanes.  It may be the angle at which the photo was taken makes it look smaller. Just look at the large heavy vehicle in the upper left on the photo and the heavy machinery to the right,  looks like two lanes either side to me.

You could be right. It may be an optical distortion that makes the tunnel seem narrow. And two lanes really would not help much.

Living on the Darker Side,  I initially didn't like the difficulty this  project caused me.

Getting into Pattays Klang for our food shopping, was really just a 12 year old habit.

There are alternatives, and now I don't miss Pattaya one little bit.

Take as long as you like Thailand.:)

9 hours ago, LennyW said:

The relevance may well be that once the rains start in earnest....a submarine might be the only way to negotiate these tunnels!

And stop shouting at this time in the morning!

The biggest worry, actually, is the devastating effect that possible non-flooding will have on our membership. So many have already reached Stage 3 of the dreaded TV Forum Poster New Construction Syndrome (TVFPNCS):

1. Puzzlement
2. Disbelief; "no need" (often justified by the TVF "only one is needed" axiom)
3. Sneering; doom predictions
4. Hate

5. Acceptance

It's hard enough to negotiate Pattaya's streets as it is, what with having to look out for falling bodies all the time. But if there's horrors! no flooding, just as there isn't in the Chiang Mai tunnels, then many of our TVFPNCS victims may not make it to Stages 4 and 5; they may just lose the will to live: THEN what a mess we'll have in the streets. And in the forum--the same sort of deafening silence as after the sexy air con repair lady turned out to be a ladyboy. :D

On Sunday, August 07, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Chapelroad said:

All the posters with the 'She can service mine anyday' comments appear to have gone offline. :cheesy::cheesy:

Maybe our uninfected noobs should be aware of the danger and for once just wait and see.

morpheus.jpg

Edited by JSixpack

3 hours ago, onemorechang said:

I have been informed by a local BG  that this vehicle will be on standby at all time

ready for action.  :thumbsup:

12124966-f80d-487f-84d5-0dd95918e869.jpg

If you find a local BG that knows what that is, give her a wide berth....she's well past it!!

expect more and more delays.  The thai workers are paid by the hour and not the job --

gk10002000

Paid by the hour..& not the job..how novel,   You mean they don't have to wait another 2 years to get any wages---- Honestly I really think we should try to close down all the Wi-Fis that are in the bars---you might be able to get a sensible discussion going........:coffee1: