Plan to track all foreigners - NOT JUST TOURISTS - by SIM cards moves forward

webfact

Plan to track all foreigners - NOT JUST TOURISTS - by SIM cards moves forward

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

Farang-Woman-on-Phone.jpg  

Photo: Sascha Kohlmann / Flickr

BANGKOK — A plan to require all foreigners in Thailand to use a special SIM card that can track their location will be reviewed by authorities Tuesday afternoon.

Announced last week by the national telecom regulator, the plan would require anyone – not just tourists but everyone who doesn’t hold a Thai passport – to use the new SIM card which would enable the authorities to track its owner’s location at any time, said the Secretary General of the Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/08/09/plan-track-foreigners-not-just-tourists-sim-cards-moves-forward/

-- Khaosod English 2016-08-09

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now this is starting to get creepy,  tracking all non thais in Thailand through their phone is a joke, I rarely even turn mine on unless I want to use it. Have to wonder which idiot has suggested this, first they want us to fill in forms to tell them all our personal details and now this, have to think it is a certain thai that simply doesnt like farangs and wants them all gone, really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this sort of crap.

2 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

So what happens if you DON"T have a SIM card and don't use a cellphone?

See that guy in the dark glasses and black tee shirt................................!

2 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

seems like a difficult concept to police. i currently use a sim card registered to my wife, so does her mother, and one of her sisters...

can't see police stop me to extract my sim and place it in a testing device to see who it is registered to.

Exactly.

I've heard stories of foreigners who need SIM cards but don't have ID on them to simply offer up a couple of hundred baht to any nearby local to have that number registered in their name. 

Still, may be more fun to mess with them and leave ur Orwellian SIM in a charged phone somewhere extremely random...lol

I'm quite curious about the technical solution. Why a special SIM card is needed or is it just a way to say, that these numbers will be actively triangulated without a warrant?

AFAIK there are no GPS enabled SIM cards yet. 

One possibility could be that these SIM are using specific APN for 'free' channel to broadcast phone's GPS information to the government and it would be mandatory for foreigners to have GPS enabled on their phones?

3 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I'm quite curious about the technical solution. Why a special SIM card is needed or is it just a way to say, that these numbers will be actively triangulated without a warrant?

AFAIK there are no GPS enabled SIM cards yet. 

One possibility could be that these SIM are using specific APN for 'free' channel to broadcast phone's GPS information to the government and it would be mandatory for foreigners to have GPS enabled on their phones?

What about this ? (Just guessing though)

They know what number the Sim Card has and who owns it. So every time the Phone connects to a Cell Phone Tower, the Computer of the provider transmits this info to whatever agency is tracking the Foreigners. However ONE major FLAW with this is that it's not very accurate.

"I'm quite curious about the technical solution. Why a special SIM card is needed or is it just a way to say, that these numbers will be actively triangulated without a warrant?"

My guess is that "they" don't want to alarm Thai citizens, so they're 'pretending' to introduce 'special' farang SIMs, which are they only ones which can be tracked, or so the populace will be led to believe.

Of course once this is implemented it will be hacked, and probably used for unintended purposes.

If you don't have a SIM one will be implanted for a nominal fee.

Originally this was more about recycling short-term SIMs owing to a number shortage, but it seems to have morphed into another sort of model.

Edited by mtls2005

Ready, fire..., no need to aim.  Why do they always make off the cuff statements like this before ever reasoning them out?  They won't invest in the requisite functionality to manage it..., they can't manage the archaic systems already in place.  No way this will ever happen with any level of efficacy.

This is just plain silly. It's typical jaw wagging and nothing more. It can't be implemented.

Are they going to have everybody who enters the country stop at the immigration desk and switch out their own (roaming) SIM for a the junta government's George Orwell Approved equivalent of a house arrest ankle monitor? Insane idea! And people who wear uniforms with lots of colorful and shiny things on them get paid for coming up with this stuff? Amazing!

Edited by Inn Between
typos

I  do not care, if they want to know I am in the toilet at The Emporium, so be it!!

However, they should also do the Thai's. there are more criminal Thai's in country than Farang .

Maybe we all should leave for 60 days, they might miss the money !!

having worked in mobile telecommunications for more that 25 years i believe that triangulation of a specific SIM has been in use since the mid 90s .. in fact when i was working in Taiwan in 1998 we had a "tiger team" which regularly tracked the movements of some VIPs as part of their normal security arrangements .. so while the "tracking" aspect is well understood the difficulty may be in the "administration" of a large scale surveillance program .. just my humble thoughts ..