Travel Tip of the Day: This Is What an ATM Skimmer Looks Like

craigt3365

This Is What an ATM Skimmer Looks Like Ever wonder what a credit card skimmer looks like? Ben Tedesco, who works for a security software company, was on vacation recently with his family in Vienna, Austria, when he spotted a credit card skimmer. Crooks use these devices to get your card’s personal information and usually involve a camera (one can be spotted in this video) so they can then create a duplicate card.

I’ve heard about skimmers being placed inside of ATM readers (see this story about Mexico’s ATM problems), but I didn’t know they could take the form of covers as in this video. As you can see, checking the ATM’s card reader paid off for Ben. Going forward, I’ll be double checking and continuing to cover my password with my hand just in case anyone (or a camera) is looking. It’s also a good idea to use an ATM machine inside a major bank instead of some random one.

http://www.johnnyjet.com/travel-tip-of-the-day-this-is-what-an-atm-skimmer-looks-like/

There's a simple solutions to all those skimmers that somehow banks are resisting to

adopt and implement, put all ATM machines indoors in 24/7 business under full surveillance ,

pay some small fees to the owners of the places and you'll see that the skimming business

will almost disappear.....

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

There's a simple solutions to all those skimmers that somehow banks are resisting to

adopt and implement, put all ATM machines indoors in 24/7 business under full surveillance ,

pay some small fees to the owners of the places and you'll see that the skimming business

will almost disappear.....

The problem with that is that many places don't have 24/7 businesses running, particularly when you get out of the city. You'd end up losing 90% of the available ATMs.

Actually a lot of skimmers are covers of various types. But this particular slot design on an ATM is designed to be able to detect any device placed over it by its use of opto-electronics and then close the slot, so you shouldn't be able to insert your card far enough to be copied....in theory! 

Simple fact is that in countries where banking codes/laws means the issuing bank and not the cardholder bears the losses, and when those losses exceed the cost of chip and pin, the banks change to chip and pin. No surprise there.

Archived