Car chase in Bangkok ends in death of a motorcycle thief

webfact

Car chase ends in death of a motorcycle thief

110801-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A 24-year-old Thai student on a vacation in Bangkok from Hong Kong last night chased a motorcycle robbery gang after they robbed him of an iPhone and cash on Ratchadapisek-Raminthra road, but ended in a crash that left one suspected thief dead.

The suspected thief who was a pillion rider was later identified as Panupong  Mechana, 19.

The student identified as Narin Limsuriwong, 24, was unhurt, But his brand new BMW sedan was damaged after it hit one bike of the gang which robbed him.

He was at the crash scene waiting for the police to arrive near his damaged car while the badly damaged motorbike and the body of the dead pillion rider was 300 metres away.

On interrogation by Kok Kram station police, Narin said he was raised and grew up in Hong Kong since childhood because his parents run a Thai food restaurant there.

After finishing high school recently, he returned to Bangkok for vacation and planned to further higher education in Thai school.

He said on the night of the incident he was driving home in Klong Kum after having been to a cinema at Crystal  Park on Ekkamai-Raminthra road.

But on the way home, he parked under the flyover which spans across the eastern ringroad, and made a call to his twin brother.

Six teenagers in two motor bikes came to him. One pillion rider, who died in the crash, approached him and pretended to ask about the route to go.

Seconds later one teenager drew out a cleaver, pointed it at the back of his neck and threatened him to hand over all valuables.

He said he handed over them his iPhone and 4,700 baht in cash.

All the teenagers later sped off in two motorcycles.

Shortly after they fled, he decided to chase them along the Raminthra-Ratchada road.

In a hot pursuit, one of the motorcycles skidded, making him unable to stop in time.

His car crashed into the fallen motorcycle, killing the pillion rider, he said.

Kok Kram station police said they have not yet charged the car driver as they needed more circumstantial evidences from witnesses and from forensic police to inspect the scene again this morning.

They said at the scene a cleaver, four mobile phones, ATM cards, 5,000 baht in cash, and dried marijuana were found inside a waist bag near the dead body.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/car-chase-ends-death-motorcycle-thief/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-11

10 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

sounds strange, why stop to make a phone call, or even if he did stop then why get of the car? i guess dead men really don't talk!

All good vigilantes know it is illegal to drive and use a mobile at the same time?

20 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

sounds strange, why stop to make a phone call, or even if he did stop then why get of the car? i guess dead men really don't talk!

Nothing strange about stopping to make phone call and where did it say he got out of the car?  Even if he did get out what is so strange about that?

36 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

perhaps he grew up in HK, knows the importance of safety....

Ratchadaphisek is that street full of nightclubs where the motocy taxi's wear balaclava's, even at night in the dark. They also still sell overpriced lotterytickets in public.

There are better places in BKK, this Thai man should have known that.

I recall study from some years ago that compared drunk driving with talking on cell phone having near identical accident rates. So good for him stopping to make a call.

I was holding my breath when I saw headline,  wondering "Thai cops actually chased down a thief??!". Ah, reassured that status quo is still observed.

i am surprised that the student decided not to cut his losses at the time of the first incident. now he is in greater mess. giving chase to six persons is not a brilliant idea in itself. assuming that he did manage to catch up with , the six could have turned against him with unimaginable results.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Ratchadaphisek is that street full of nightclubs where the motocy taxi's wear balaclava's, even at night in the dark. They also still sell overpriced lotterytickets in public.

There are better places in BKK, this Thai man should have known that.

It wasn't on Ratchadapisek Rd.

I'm struggling with the part about a 24 year old student owning a new BMW and coming from Hong Kong to Thailand to go to college.

Something about that doesn't pass the sniff test.

Edited by impulse

Only one version of events has been heard in this story. Hopefully police will track down and question the driver of the motorbike who was apparently not too badly hurt to vanish. It may all be true, but it is a good idea to get it corroborated, as if there was a shady deal going on under the bridge or if the motorbike was deliberately rammed in order to cause injury or death then the picture changes.