Thai tourists in Shenzhen denied entry as Chinese government bans on-arrival visa

Thai tourists in Shenzhen denied entry as Chinese government bans on-arrival visa

By Coconuts Bangkok 

image-3-wpcf_693x413.jpeg

Photo: Thai PBS

BANGKOK: -- On-arrival visas for Thai tourists traveling to the Chinese city of Shenzhen have recently been discontinued by the Chinese government though they have yet to officially announced it.

Thais traveling to Shenzen should apply for their visa at the Chinese embassy in Bangkok.

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman, Sek Wannamethee, visitors from Thailand, along with 11 other countries, will no longer be given on-arrival visas.

A number of tourists from Thailand were surprised by that news when they recently got off of planes in Shenzen and were denied visas. 

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/11/thai-tourists-shenzhen-denied-entry-chinese-government-bans-arrival-visa

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-11

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobQuicky said:

Guess they're getting back at Thais for negative portrayals of not so nice Chinese tourists.  My 2 cents though...

Or maybe they are trying to tell Thai's to know the rules before traveling. My 5 cents.

As I read them the facts in the report are not strictly correct. There is a visa that can be issued which allows the holder to stay in the Shenzhen area for a period of  five days, however it is stipulated that the holders  must be in a tour group with a qualified Chinese tour leader.

it has also been reported that many tour groups travelling into China from HK were also denied the same visas. So it's certainly not restricted to Thais.

the official Chinese government comments were that they computer system that is used for these visas was being upgraded, but it is rumoured  that the Chinese are clamping down on such visas to prevent and issues for the G20 meeting in Hangzhou next month 

• Like 1

"On-arrival visas for Thai tourists traveling to the Chinese city of Shenzhen have recently been discontinued by the Chinese government though they have yet to officially announced it."

those of you who take such glee at "retarded Thais" etc may wish to re-read the quote (underlining mine). If the government hasn't announced it, how would you advise Thais to know about ending of visa on arrival?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobQuicky said:

Guess they're getting back at Thais for negative portrayals of not so nice Chinese tourists.  My 2 cents though...

it is not fair to target innocent tourists without prior warnings. the  travel agents and airlines carrying these tourists should have been informed of the decision so that remedial action could have been taken at the appropriate time.

normally visas are checked up at the time of check in at the airport and the airlines do not board persons without visa to a country where it is so required.

i wonder who bungled up and who is going to take the responsibility for the fiasco.

Xiamen authorities refuse Thais to even transit through their airport to wherever in the world. My wife was refused boarding in Bangkok on a flight to Amsterdam with a 2 hour stopover in Xiamen China. The official Xiamen and Chinese border authorities don't mention anything of this on their websites. Even IATA didnt know about this. Be very careful to fly or transit through China. This cost us 50k for an extra ticket.

7 hours ago, RobQuicky said:

Just wait and see what happens if Thailand wants the Chinese coming in to have a visa!!!

Wouldn't be the first time China has unilaterally changed the rules. Was rejected and marched back onto a train by 5 machine gun toting guards when arriving for the Canton trade fair the year of the olympics. Rules had changed without warning. Their website was still stating that Visa on Arrival for the trade show was available.

7 minutes ago, bark said:

Reported on Thai Visa, last month.

From the OP

No details have emerged about when Chinese officials plan to make an official announcement that on-arrival visas to Shenzhen have been revoked for Thai tourists.

39 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

From the OP

No details have emerged about when Chinese officials plan to make an official announcement that on-arrival visas to Shenzhen have been revoked for Thai tourists.

There was a sign posted at the airport starting July , 2016.  Not sure still there, as I have not been back.