Problems registering Suzuki Caribian in my name

tomtaylor1

Hi All, advise please. Recently purchased A 1997 Suzuki Caribian Pick Up. I live in Pattaya. The paperwork for the transfer is in order, it is registered in the sellers name at Nonthaburi Bangkok.

An agent tried to register the Suzuki at Chonburi, was not successful.

The issue seams to be because  the suspension  has been lifted, has 33*10.5*16" wheels, tyres, additional lights fitted, spots on a lighting bar above the cab, as well as on the front, winch, roof rack and other accessories.

I have been asked to remove the bull bar, lights and accessories, fit mud flaps, which I am prepared to do. Two separate agents  have then asked to pay between  13000/15000 Baht to register and tax the Suzuki.  Myself paying the road tax.

The colour has also been changed from Grey to Black, but not registered in the book.

Should I just take the said Jeep to Nonthaburi, after taking off the accessories and hope for the best as I do not want to spoil my chances else where.

Please advise, thank you. Regards Tom

Wow ... being an agent is a good number then......

Mrs Jas tells me this ... and she will be devastated if she is wrong ....

After any change to a vehicle you 'should' take it to the Land Transport Office and get the details put into the Blue Book. Actually if anything is different ... even the fitting of Daytime Driving Lights ... the police can stop and fine you.

You only need to go to the Land Transport Office and get the vehicle 'tested' and the mods put into the Blue Book. This won't be free but it will only a few hundred Baht.

Of course make it road legal as agents suggest first .... 

You should be able to do this at any L.T.O.  ...Really you will need a Thai speaker to do this and one who understands what is required to be done.  Basically just drive into the test area and if you need paperwork first they will explain.

Then you should be able to do the re-registration.

Sorry but  Mrs Jas is not available for hire for any service :whistling:

Edited by JAS21

i am assuming you want to transfer into your name. i was told, and don't know if true, that foreigners can no longer register a vehicle outside of the province they live in, even if it has Bkk plates. Maybe worth a call to the DLT in Nonthaburi to find out, or get the Residence Certificate in a Nonthaburi address (and you still might have to do the changes asked for, as it has to be inspected). Otherwise you have to get Chonburi plates.

The price the agents want seems steep. Should be about THB 1,600 for 1 year rego, THB 600 for compulsory insurance, and transfer fee is less than 1% the value of the car (can't remember exactly but i think about 0.7%). Someone else might be able to clarify, but you might have to take the car to Muang  Chonburi DLT to do the colour change, it used to be that way years ago but maybe has changed.

Best bet is go to Banglamung DLT yourself, join the queue for inspections and talk to the guys doing the inspections.

Hi Thanks for the info, The Guys at Banglamung DLT  after doing an inspection of the Car, would not give the necessary certificate, they had out there tape measures and said no can do, I think to high off the ground. This was when an agent at Banglamung tried to register it for me.

Regards Tom 

I have seen many Caribians with similar modifications on Thai roads, and was not aware that they were probably not road legal, had I been aware, would not have made the purchase.

The other idea was to get a passport for this and take to the trails and roads in Laos, have been before in a Jeep Wrangler, but that machine was to good and body work easily scratched and damaged.  

So I am looking for the best option to get this Caribian, registered in my name.

The other question is, are the same problems going to arise every year, when the road tax is due, assuming the Caribian  is eventually in my name.

Thank you.

Regards Tom

Hi All, than you for the updates.

Assuming I have all the changes registered in the blue book, and the car registered in my name as well as taxed for a year,  when the road tax is due next year am going to encounter the same problems again.

As at the moment I am unable to tax the car, because of the modifications that have been carried out  by the previous owner.

Thank you.

Regards Tom 

After a vehicle is 6 or 7 seven years old ... can't remember which ... it needs to be inspected every year before it can be taxed. One would assume ... but this is Thailand ... that if it is as per the Blue Book and you haven't made any changes during the year ... then it should be okay ......................

Compulsory insurance is nearer 1000 Baht not 600, it is either 950 or 1050. You need to fill in a form for changing the colour, in fact I think you need a signature and colour code from the people that repainted it - It shouldn't be too difficult, it is the usual hoops you need to dance through.

The light mods. I would strip it back down to original, the height mods for the springs...doubt that would come into it if the rest of it looks standard.

If I was you I would go to one of those Tor Or Ror places (Like an MOT centre) and ask them, for a price (they are extremely cheap) I am sure they will help you with what you need. Just look at the side of the road and you will see their signs in blue letters. They are extremely helpful with Tax and Insurance issues.

I don't think you will have this problem every year....I've had the same problems with a few motorcycles....it's only when you do a name transfer....after its in your name it's easy year after year.....I live in pattaya to but to do the name change I've had to take the vehicle to the original place of registration....afterwards you can do the yearly tax anywhere....suggest you put the vehicle back to standard as I've had modifications refused and you waste the trip to the liscencing office

13K to 15K is a good price, saves you having to remove all mods, and reinstall after. And you only have to do it once. Then take to a place displaying the sign below, every 5 years for inspection. May cost you a few baht to do, but they will get the book stamped, and the tax paid. DLT will never see the vehicle.car-.jpg

8 hours ago, JAS21 said:

After a vehicle is 6 or 7 seven years old ... can't remember which ... it needs to be inspected every year before it can be taxed. One would assume ... but this is Thailand ... that if it is as per the Blue Book and you haven't made any changes during the year ... then it should be okay ......................

Yeah i thought that when i was taxing the 14 yr old toyota at chonburi office, i was outside on my bike at the time cos the toyota was 900km away.

I had a Willy Jeep here, registered in my name, all above board. I eventually sold it, got sick and tired of getting stopped at check points checking if all the paperwork and log book had all the changes registered.