CB300F and R recalls US, how about here?

BBJ

Honda Recalls 11,424 CB300F and CBR300R Motorcycles For Potential Engine Failure

THE RECALL: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain model year 2015-2016 CBR300RA, CBR300R and CB300F motorcycles. The affected motorcycles may have an improperly machined crankshaft which may result in the failure of the connecting rod bearing retainer.

WHAT COULD HAPPEN: If the connecting rod bearing retainer fails, the engine may stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/honda-recalls-11424-cb300f-and-cbr300r-motorcycles-for-potential-engine-failure

Kawasaki never posted their recall, so may be worth checking for any CB 300 riders out there.

What your forgetting guys , and some other people may find uncomfy , is this bike wasnt made by Honda - Japan ( very few" Hondas"  are today ) . It was assembled in a factory in India / Thailand / Indonesia etc , using Chinese / local parts. As i believe this engine fails to meet the up-coming Euro emmision standards  , it wont be a problem for long. Lets hope there are no bad accidents when this engine siezes.

Dealer called yesterday for my CB300F, appointment for end of august. I seem to be no 29 in the queue. Not really looking forward to have that repair done on a 6 months old bike by the local dealer. Live in the sticks. Gut feeling says "get rid of the bike"...

On the positive side; they have 28 bikes to practice on and by number 29 they should have an understanding on how to do the repair properly...

Edited by nongsung

Just got a call from my dealer as well. Don't have a queue number yet.

My problem is that I bought the bike from a dealer in Bangkok while living there, but I've since moved up country a bit. I've no idea how to get the bike there and bike, or what I'll do for a ~week without a bike.

6 hours ago, marcusb said:

Rev I think any Honda dealer you feel confident with should be able to do the work. My Kawa was bought in Udon and I had the recall work done in Chiang Mai…..  worth a try..

Yeah it's worth asking I guess. Though I'm not sure I'd trust the local dealers here in the sticks..

The crankshaft is the main component within the engine. Theres no way id want my engine ripped apart by the typical "fitters" at Honda , who cant even adjust valve clearances correctly.  The "sale of goods act" denotes that if a produce is not "fit for pourpose" ,the product can be rejected in its entirety.  Or you can opt for an ENTIRE NEW ENGINE , with new engine numbers , to be fitted. And kiss goodby to any re-sale values .

On August 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM, ktm jeff said:

Or you can opt for an ENTIRE NEW ENGINE , with new engine numbers , to be fitted.

Well there you go,  an easy solution.  

If that doesn't work I can vouch for the udon Honda/kawa shop,  possibly you could pre arrange and drop it off on a sat morning and get it sunday. ..  They should have a Facebook page. … otherwise I am sure KK,  Ubon, etc have decent Honda shops. …

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, took the CBR 300R in they checked...nothing else... actually, the wife told me they called and wanted to bring it in for a check.. not sure why... It wasn't until I read the post that everything fell into place..

Thus.. thank you for the heads up

1 hour ago, revgreen said:

Took mine and dropped it off and was told it'd be done in 5 days. 

Good luck for you. Local in my town dropped his off at the local dealer (where I get my little Wave serviced) over 2 weeks ago ....still sitting there, hasn't moved: "waiting for parts" so the mechanic said today. Oh dear, I wouldn't be happy with that kind of turn around of a fornight and still counting.

56 minutes ago, KhruGin said:

Good luck for you. Local in my town dropped his off at the local dealer (where I get my little Wave serviced) over 2 weeks ago ....still sitting there, hasn't moved: "waiting for parts" so the mechanic said today. Oh dear, I wouldn't be happy with that kind of turn around of a fornight and still counting.

Well I put my name on the list about 3 weeks ago. They just called a couple days ago saying the part had arrived and it'd only take a week for the actual work.

5 hours ago, revgreen said:

. Also was given 300 baht and I have no idea why.

Good that it's done and I guess 300 baht is for the inconvenience waiting a month to get it finally sorted. Happy riding now Rev.

BTW & FYI : My local Honda chief mechanic said that there are 20,000 recalls in Thailand (the figure by op is for US only) ....that's a lot of busy Honda mechanics nationwide eh !

Edited by KhruGin

Interesting. I bought a CB300F around 1 year ago and just drove with it around 3months but because of extreme vibrations I decided to buy a bigger bike. Since then the CB300F is just idling in the garage. Is it possible that the bad crankshaft causes the vibrations? Driving more then 90km/h with the bike in the last gear makes my hands and balls sleeping after a 30minutes ride. With my new bike (CB650F) it is absolutely different, almost no vibrations until 150km/h and even then it is just half as intense as with the CB300F.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

It has just been announced that Ford will buy back its cars - Fiesta and Focus - with the gearbox fault , as they are not "Fit for purpose".  Now lets see if Honda has the decency to honor its waranty. Demonstrations outside dealers , and  wider publicity in the press may be the answer.

Was just browsing the aphonda website, couldn't find any note of the recall. Anyway good to know there's an issue.

I'm up in the north bought the bike through Sinthanee, just wonder who's in charge of the repair. No way, that the local 2 Greenwing shops lay their hands on the bike. I don't even let them do an oil change on the 8 year old wave. So maybe checking in C. Rai.

BTW, while browsing the aphonda website, I found now the digital spare part lists, what seems to be a state secret for many years at greenwing shops. http://pec.aphonda.co.th/

First in Thailand the local Honda distributor (APHonda) will contact the owners of any defective motorcycle by provided contact details. If you're really in doubt and thing your bike is maybe into the recall cycle...  You can always check online if your motorcycle is involved in any recall http://warranty.aphonda.co.th/

Thanks for the link.

I did enter the number but this is all what shows up. (translated)

Motorcycle chassis number MLHNC0000000000 was registered quality assurance successfully.
You can add or edit a contact officer at phone 02-7254000 customer relations .......

On 8/17/2016 at 8:54 PM, ktm jeff said:

The crankshaft is the main component within the engine. Theres no way id want my engine ripped apart by the typical "fitters" at Honda , who cant even adjust valve clearances correctly.  The "sale of goods act" denotes that if a produce is not "fit for pourpose" ,the product can be rejected in its entirety.  Or you can opt for an ENTIRE NEW ENGINE , with new engine numbers , to be fitted. And kiss goodby to any re-sale values .

Jeff, can you explain about "opt for a new engine"?  Does AP Honda offer this choice?