CB300F and R recalls US, how about here?

BBJ

They are repairing mine now...

Thus the question, with the repair down with the crankshaft, is the integrity of the engine compromised?

I mean I don't know, you have a new essential part of the engine, the other parts have a different wear history, does it change the dynamics of the internal harmony of the engine?

Is it time to say good by to the CBR 300R  and take the hit of a firesale and move up to the 500cc/471cc?

Edited by Rhys

I'm supposed to take my CB 300 to my dealer in Chiang Mai tomorrow.  I'd still be interested to know if what another poster mentioned about opting for an entire new engine is really an option on offer by AP Honda.  I have confidence in the shop here, but replacing a crankshaft is really a big job. I'll ring AP Honda in  Bangkok tomorrow morning, but in the mean time, does anyone know if they will actually give me a new engine if I politely insist?

Thanks for any replies.

Sorry for the late reply hougourou .  There are over 20,000 of these  CB Hondas with engines that need replacing. The crank is grinding itself to pieces , and that could lead to the engine siezing up solid , locking the gearbox and the  rear wheel , pitching you off the bike.  Thats not acceptable. With each bike taking 1 week to have a crank slapped in - by who and under what conditions i dread to consider - it will take an extra 100 fitters / mechanics  nearly 4.5 years to do them.  Or 500 fitters , nearly 1 year.  Bikes too dangerous to be ridden in the meantime. What are you meant to ride , a hire bike , at whose expense. As Rhys ponders , the engine will never be the same. No one will consider buying it off you. BIG financial hit.   Your voice alone is quiet.  If you get groups together , say Phuket , Bangkok , Chiang Mai , and arrange some publicity about  this matter , involving the TV news crews and reporters from local papers , then you will get heard. A fighting fund could be collected to seek and pay for legal advice. Better as large groups than on your own.  Maximise the negative publicity. I wouldnt even want a new engine , as these bikes reputations - and Hondas - have been severly tarnished. These bikes are new , and dangerously faulty. "Not fit for pourpose" is your legal claim.  FULL refund. Dont back down.  And good luck.

You are absolutely insane if you think any of that is going to make a difference.

It's a factory recall. It has happened innumerable times to about every major manufacturer. Honda doesn't care

about a group of people "protesting" in Chiang Mai Thailand or whatever else. Their reputation is 100% okay. It's Honda. This doesn't even register globally.

Go get the work done and move on. Or sell the bike. Easy solutions. Also I'd say it certainly isn't "too dangerous too ride". I did 2,000 km on mine after the recall before getting it serviced. The risk is the engine dies. Solution: clutch control, emergency breaking, pull over to the side of the road. Quite simple to deal with .

I'm somewhere between you two on this.  If you go to the FB group (in Thai) called CB 300 F Club, you'll see that Thai owners did pressure AP Honda about the crankcase issue and soon thereafter the recall came about.  When I dealt with AP Honda about the coolant bleed valve leaking oil issue, they took action and solved the problem for free.  As for getting a full refund, that's a bridge too far, I'm afraid.  I took mine in for the crankcase refit this morning and we'll see what happens.  I guess what I'm saying is that the pressure needs to come from local owners, who are more numerous, and, well, local.

Otherwise, revgreen, I would respectfully disagree with you that ktm jeff is insane, he is trying to be helpful, and we all have our own way of dealing with things.

Cheers to all.

I think / hope revgreen was calling my assumption that Honda would replace the faulty engine insane , rather than me !. At this stage , maybe they wont. Lets see what happens in the next 6 months. I stand by my concern with the engine being "rebuilt" in a Thai garage , rather than a factory. Even though that factory isnt in Japan. If metal alloy fragments have been ground off the crank / crankcase they will have contaminated everything that is touched by the same oil. That is the entire engine and gearbox.  The oil filter wont have filtered all the oil , as isnt part of a "full flow" system . revgreen , the engine dousnt just "die".  The rider might though. When a engine siezes , it locks up the engine , gearbox , rear wheel. Pitches you off quick , even with the clutch covered. Just ask one of the several 500cc 2-stroke GP   bikes in my garage in England. Evil things !.Built back in the day when Honda could build engines. I do hope this problem is sorted without any incidents / accidents ( i would not risk riding the bike  ) but cant help feel these bikes have further tarnished Hondas reputation.

Edited by ktm jeff

Picked up the bike today, took it on a long ride...OK 1 hour....seemed fine... yet the question remains.. KTM Jeff and Papa have given their valued opinion..somewhere in between.

YES. Those of us with Thai wives, and they got us by the huevos about buying a new bike.   Do try the better move up this bike is no longer safe...gambit... ngaah.. she didn't take... just sell it.

Still enjoy riding, around town is fine, but I enjoy the open roads MO BETTAH, brah..

Cheers

Edited by Rhys

• 3 weeks later...

I took mine into Honda on Prahonyoutin road in Bangkok, very late 2014 Repsol model I'd bought from Red Baron Mimburi, excellent service , by the way. As it was 2nd hand  I thought I'd have some problems, but it was all done in 4 days. Bike feels great, rattles have disappeared and valve noise seems better. It would have cost about 4000 baht. Nothing to pay, and 300 baht from Honda. Very happy.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I have had my 2016 CB300F for 18 months, ridden about 2400km in BKK traffic with no issues. But I probably need to get the crank recall repair done. Anybody here have a recommended Honda service shop in central BKK?

Thanks!